Back to a Galaxy for the first time since my S5. Was using a Nexus 6P, which I loved, but the battery went to complete garbage about a year in. I was only getting like 4-5 hours with light usage.

That aside, here are my questions:

1. Should I drain my S8 battery down every day? I work from home so usually keep my phone charging (wireless or plugged in) all day just so it's at 100% no matter what happens. Is this a bad practice? If so, is it acceptable if I do it via wireless charging? Or more acceptable via plugged in?

2. I have the Samsung wireless charger from the S5 days. It appears to charge this phone, although pretty slow. I don't care about the speed since I usually do it overnight or just to sit during the day. It's easy enough to plug in for fast charging when I really need it. Is there anything wrong with using an old wireless charger if I don't care about speed? Any damage to the battery?
    06-19-2017 11:38 AM
    1. From what I've read, it's best to keep the battery between 40 and 80%. Keeping it in this range keeps thr battery optimal the longest. This isn't really an option for most of us. I read this article a couple years ago so maybe newer batteries are different now.

2. Nothing at all wrong with slow charging. I have a wireless charger that I bought for my S6 and it is not a fast charger. I don't mind since I also throw it on overnight.

Personally, I don't really worry about the battery too much. I charge it when I feel like. Most days, I can easily get a full day out of a charge but sometimes I'll charge it in the middle of the day if I feel like I'm going to run out later on. I get a new phone every 6 months to a year so I just don't really concern myself with how long the battery is going to last.
    06-19-2017 11:47 AM
    It doesn't hurt to keep it topped off or top it off as you want. I have wireless chargers all over the place and my phone hardly ever sees 80% except on weekends.
    06-19-2017 12:44 PM
    I used to slow charge every night with the s7 edge, now with the 8 plus I can skip a night and quick charge if need be during the day. I don't like my phone dropping below 30 to 40 % if I can help it
    06-19-2017 12:54 PM
    It doesn't hurt to keep it topped off or top it off as you want. I have wireless chargers all over the place and my phone hardly ever sees 80% except on weekends.
    for how long have you been doing this with other phones? I've also read that the optimal is between 40-80% and above 80% can cause premature wear but I've never noticed any degradation
    06-19-2017 09:25 PM
    Phones batteries do not have memory issues, they will lose capacity over time just from age and use. Modern charge circuits use a host full of tricks to help with battery life now like no longer trickle charging, and the phone won't actually charge a phone until it has lost a certain % from full (Laptop users these days regularly complain how their laptops never read %100 anymore). The galaxy s8 even has some new innovations built in to keep the battery cooler and last longer, no doubt a result from reducing a repeat performance from the note 7 blunder.

if you are ~60 or less don't be afraid to charge it. I have been charging it on a slow wireless because that is what I had and I am lazy and would rather not risk wear and tear on the usb port if I don't need. It creates more heat because of induction but the damage over time should be negligible.
    06-19-2017 10:11 PM
    I really still need to buy another one I want to buy that Corvette one that Samsung sells but it hasn't been on sale really unless I miss the sale which is totally possible.
    06-19-2017 10:44 PM