Ever since the last update that auto hid the nav bar making full use of the infinity screen, I have been using the force touch home button more often. Made me think, if there was a force touch button for the recent and back buttons too that would make navigation even easier. Does the S8/+ have force touch only under the home button or is it for the whole screen like the iPhone that have it? If not a force touch + left or right swipe would also work well enough. Its annoying having to swipe up and then press recent/back. It sucks for heavy multitasking by making a one tap action into a swipe+press (unless you pin the navbar).
    06-19-2017 02:36 PM
    Try Swipe Navigation from the play store. Problem solved. I love it on my S8+ while using full immersive mode.
    06-19-2017 02:59 PM
    Have you noticed any added functionality by pressing harder on the home button? Apple's 3D Touch has three levels of pressure sensitivity, and depending on how hard you pushed would give you different options based on the app you were using. If I remember correctly, the three levels were "touch", "press", and "push through." However, not all apps supported it (although more were adding support). I had an iPhone 6s Plus and 3D Touch was very useful.

If the home button can be made to support a form of Force Touch, then there is the potential the entire screen COULD possibly support it too. Samsung would have to be careful though, it could run a foul of Apple's patent on 3D Touch.
    06-19-2017 03:14 PM
    Try Swipe Navigation from the play store. Problem solved. I love it on my S8+ while using full immersive mode.
    I prefer the app "All in one gestures" works better for me and more options. I gave swipe a try based on your recommendation from another post but It didnt really click.
    06-19-2017 03:21 PM
    Have you noticed any added functionality by pressing harder on the home button? Apple's 3D Touch has three levels of pressure sensitivity, and depending on how hard you pushed would give you different options based on the app you were using. If I remember correctly, the three levels were "touch", "press", and "push through." However, not all apps supported it (although more were adding support). I had an iPhone 6s Plus and 3D Touch was very useful.

If the home button can be made to support a form of Force Touch, then there is the potential the entire screen COULD possibly support it too. Samsung would have to be careful though, it could run a foul of Apple's patent on 3D Touch.
    As much as I admit that 3D touch on the iPhone has great use if implemented properly, I must say that I have never found use for most of the stuff that came out of it. In this case however I think it would go a long way in making the interface as buttonless as possible.

I might be mistaken but renders of the S8s insides showed a little device right under the virtual home button. I'm not sure if that's only for vibration feedback or if its the part that adds force touch to the display. If its the latter then the whole display might not support force touch.
    06-19-2017 03:27 PM
    Where do you turn on the settings to auto hide the nav bar? I don't see it under display settings
    06-19-2017 03:31 PM
    Where do you turn on the settings to auto hide the nav bar? I don't see it under display settings
    Samsung added it with their recent update so you might not have received it yet. Once you get the update you'll notice a tiny dot to the left of the navbar. Pressing that pins or unpins the navbar.
    06-19-2017 03:35 PM
    I prefer the app "All in one gestures" works better for me and more options. I gave swipe a try based on your recommendation from another post but It didnt really click.
    Word... Thanks for the rec! Always looking for apps/mods that might improve the experience even further. I'll give it a go.
    06-19-2017 03:37 PM
    Word... Thanks for the rec! Always looking for apps/mods that might improve the experience even further. I'll give it a go.
    Keep in mind that it asks for a lot of permissions that it doesn't need and won't work without them. It's one of the reasons why a lot of people don't use it.
    06-19-2017 03:45 PM
    Keep in mind that it asks for a lot of permissions that it doesn't need and won't work without them. It's one of the reasons why a lot of people don't use it.
    Yea I'm noticing that. Not fond of it, but I believe the dev is saying the next update will allow for the user to choose which permissions to approve and which to deny, so that's good I guess.

Also I think I might stick with Swipe Navigation. It just works for me and I can keep everything on one side of the phone separate​ from the other edge gestures I have set up.

Thanks again for the rec though! And I'm sure it might help someone else out there.
    06-19-2017 03:51 PM
    Was it rolled out to all carriers? I've got Verizon and I don't see any updates under settings.
    06-19-2017 04:46 PM
    Yes unfortunately the s8 only has the pressure sensitive hardware on specifically on the home button area, it would be great if it had also back and recents
    06-19-2017 06:40 PM
    Was it rolled out to all carriers? I've got Verizon and I don't see any updates under settings.
    It will be. Rolled out to India first. We'll have to be a little patient yet, but I'm sure it'll happen soon.
    06-19-2017 08:37 PM
    Yea I'm noticing that. Not fond of it, but I believe the dev is saying the next update will allow for the user to choose which permissions to approve and which to deny, so that's good I guess.

Also I think I might stick with Swipe Navigation. It just works for me and I can keep everything on one side of the phone separate​ from the other edge gestures I have set up.

Thanks again for the rec though! And I'm sure it might help someone else out there.
    Haha, more people will finally use the app then. I would actually also prefer one side or rather the bottom. Swiping up at three points from the bottom would be nice but I don't want the navbar to be swiped up at the same time. I don't particularly feel like rooting a brand new s8 though so im going to have to make do with non-root stuff.
    06-19-2017 11:08 PM