08-21-2017 03:09 AM
65 123
tools
    Nice, thanks for you great work. Did you try the back glass because I believe the back cuts like butter?

And Yes, a video would be nice.
    06-20-2017 01:20 PM
    Doesn't the owner's manual say something about the screen being able to withstand damage from hands that can bench press up to 210? That was probably the issue here.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    06-20-2017 03:17 PM
    They should be charged if there's a law against what they did. But if there was no damage (not even cosmetic), then they didn't break the law that prohibits vandalism.
    Actually, attempted vandalism may also be punishable.
    06-20-2017 06:42 PM
    Actually, attempted vandalism may also be punishable.
    Agreed; no one has disputed that. Still, attempted X is a less serious offense than X; and my point was that it's not good to accuse someone of a more serious offense than they actually committed.
    06-20-2017 06:47 PM
    Agreed; no one has disputed that. Still, attempted X is a less serious offense than X; and my point was that it's not good to accuse someone of a more serious offense than they actually committed.
    Maybe, but OP still made a serious error in judgement.
    06-20-2017 06:48 PM
    Maybe, but OP still made a serious error in judgement.
    Yup, not disputing that either. Just cautioning against responding with bad judgement in the opposite direction. : )
    06-20-2017 06:53 PM
    Actually in a situation like this he could have been charged the same as if he would have damaged the phone. Attempted destruction of property carries the same penalty as destruction of property. Just because he failed doesn't change the intent.
    06-20-2017 07:09 PM
    Actually in a situation like this he could have been charged the same as if he would have damaged the phone.
    This is way off-topic, but you're mistaken. Here's a summary of the actual law. Note: "vandalism is a crime that generally requires completion of the act".

Vandalism - FindLaw

Just because he failed doesn't change the intent.
    Agreed; no one said it does. But it does change the legal status of his actions.
    06-20-2017 07:49 PM
    This is way off-topic, but you're mistaken. Here's a summary of the actual law. Note: "vandalism is a crime that generally requires completion of the act".

Vandalism - FindLaw

Agreed; no one said it does.
    That's the vandalism law. Now look up the law regarding "attempt". I posted it earlier. It can, in this case, carry the same penalty as the actual act.

Here, from the same site you quoted.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...s/attempt.html

Stating that he committed a crime, as others suggested earlier, is correct. He intended to do damage and therfore the intent carries criminal consequences.
    06-20-2017 07:51 PM
    That's the vandalism law. Now look up the law regarding "attempt".
    Laws regarding attempted crimes vary not only from state to state, but also from crime to crime. Attempting to commit a particular crime is not itself a crime except where there's a specific law about attempting to commit that crime; what you posted earlier addresses such instances. The Findlaw article states that for vandalism--unlike some other crimes--you generally need completion of the act.

Stating that he committed a crime, as others suggested earlier, is correct..
    I never expressed an opinion on whether he committed a crime. I simply don't know. He did not, however, commit the crime of vandalism (contrary to what was accused in one post here).
    06-20-2017 07:59 PM
    Laws regarding attempted crimes vary not only from state to state, but also from crime to crime. Attempting to commit a particular crime is not itself a crime except where there's a specific law about attempting to commit that crime; what you posted earlier addresses such instances. The Findlaw article states that for vandalism--unlike some other crimes--you generally need completion of the act.
    Had they caught him in the act he would have been charged with attempted destruction of property.

Attempt penalties vary from crime to crime but the attempt of a criminal act is still a criminal act. If someone attempts to spray paint my car the will be arrested for attempted destruction of property and criminal vandalism.

It's pretty common knowledge that what he did by intending to destroy a phone not owned by himself is indeed a criminal act. If you don't believe so, walk into a store with a lighter, knife or screwdriver and ask the manager to watch you as you attempt to ruin one of their products. When he asks you to leave tell him you have done nothing wrong. See where that leads.

Every state has an intent law regarding vandalism and destruction of property. Take Nevada for example. They have explicit laws regarding "intent to vandalize". You don't have to complete the act of attempting to commit vandalism to be charged with intent to vandalize. You just have to show intent.
    06-20-2017 08:05 PM
    Maybe we can all agree on "just a bad person with rotten judgement and shallow thought processes".
    06-20-2017 09:32 PM
    Maybe we can all agree on "just a bad person with rotten judgement and shallow thought processes".
    Lol, probably a good idea.

But hey, he benches 205 so we should probably be real careful what we say.
    rwong48 likes this.
    06-20-2017 09:56 PM
    Worst part is OP sat back and got famous, and that is all OP wanted. Got front page and got people to argue.
    VW Maverick likes this.
    06-20-2017 10:04 PM
    What's funny is his perceived reaction he was hoping to get....

It's like dude.... Really...😑
    06-20-2017 10:34 PM
    Just to share regarding the S8+'s screen.

Visited a local Target store where they had the S8 and S8+ on demo/display. I carry my house key (regular trapezoid/triangle type house key in the USA) on a Cold Steel Micro Recon mini keychain knife.

I ABUSED THE SCREEN AS MUCH AS I COULD.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of muscle force and strength and pressure I applied to this demo unit. I even used the "G10 Handle" grip areas of my Cold Steel Knife to try to scratch and damage the screen. Didn't work.

The house key didn't do ANYTHING.

I used several angles and several amounts of force.

I bench 205.

The worst I got was a "smudge line" that went away with some rubbing of my finger tips.

I am happy.

So should you be.
    You are a braver man than I. You should have gone over to the hardware section and got a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper...
    06-20-2017 11:08 PM
    Nice, thanks for you great work. Did you try the back glass because I believe the back cuts like butter?

And Yes, a video would be nice.
    Um... Target has video cameras all over its stores. I'm pretty sure the security guys got a kick out of it.
    06-20-2017 11:14 PM
    Worst part is OP sat back and got famous, and that is all OP wanted. Got front page and got people to argue.
    Famous? Eh. I wouldn't say so :P.
    06-20-2017 11:34 PM
    wow, unbelievable. OP, you don't bench enough is why.
    06-21-2017 12:51 AM
    It's amazing that some people like the OP think this is even OK ... Not cool !!!
    ihearlivepplz, jacker and Aquila like this.
    06-21-2017 01:08 AM
    Famous? Eh. I wouldn't say so :P.
    Famous in their mind. And the more we keep feeding the troll the more satisfaction they get.
    06-21-2017 06:15 AM
    Famous in their mind. And the more we keep feeding the troll the more satisfaction they get.
    Trust me.. he isn't feeling so famous. .
    06-21-2017 06:18 AM
    They should be charged if there's a law against what they did. But if there was no damage (not even cosmetic), then they didn't break the law that prohibits vandalism.
    Attempted vandalism is breaking the law and we don't know that he didn't cause damage.
    06-21-2017 07:34 AM
    God damn OP is stupid. What, the 10 million youtube scratch test weren't enough? You had to run into a target and attempt to damage their display? That is insultingly stupid.
    06-21-2017 10:39 AM
    wasnt' this thread locked yesterday?
    06-21-2017 01:19 PM
65 123