08-21-2017 03:09 AM
65 123
tools
    Here's the final score:

Galaxy S8 - 1

Idiotic man (who benches a massive 205 lbs) using keys and a cheap $20 knife - 0

What was the lesson learned? None actually.

We already knew the S8/8+'s screen is pretty scratch resistant; and it just confirms that there are people out there who are (to put it mildly AND pun intended), not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    jacker and mary beth hale like this.
    06-21-2017 04:22 PM
    Guys...I really didn't mean for this to be take this way. My pocket knife "abuse" was just me trying to scratch the demo at a store, in my head at least. I thought it was a demo for people to use how they like, not like a sacred artifact or something. Sorry
    I was really just playing and you'll probably not believe I spoke to s Target electronics guys after I did this. I gave him my S8+ so he could try to "break into" my phone with the Iris and Fingerprint lock.
    I really didn't didn't think you would take this to the abusive/felony level. I'm sorry...I want back into your community. Can I?
    Btw, the Cold Steel Mini Recon is a keychain knife, and I was trying to sound cool using it. So, I'll accept the "dueche" comments.
    And, the "benchpressing 205" thing was to make you guys know that I wasn't I wasn't a scrub being a weakling. But that went wrong. I bet a lot of you can bench more than that. I'm actually trying to squat my own weight right now (190).
    It was never supposed to be a feat of achievement or showing off, just a standard (I thought), so you wouldn't I was "playing" with the demo to no effect or strength. Now, I see you or it doesn't matter.

I never thought the public would appreciate or defend the public demo units the way you have, I'm sorry.

I'm gonna keep posting here, and other topics. Will that be okay with this group?

I own the S8+
    08-16-2017 06:48 AM
    My pocket knife "abuse" was just me trying to scratch the demo at a store, in my head at least. I thought it was a demo for people to use how they like, not like a sacred artifact or something.
    It isn't a sacred artifact but would you go into BestBuy and push a TV off the shelf to see how durable it is? Those are demo units as well, right?

Destroying property that isn't yours isn't cool. If you bought it do whatever you want but going into a store and messing with anything in there (demo unit or not) with the intent of trying to destroy it is called "Destruction of Property" which is a crime.
    08-16-2017 08:13 AM
    Right... if it were a display that invited customers to come in to try to break the thing... OK... hack away. There's a display in the local Staples advertising the liquid screen stuff they sell and there's a junk old tablet and a key on a chain next to it. If I took out a hammer sand started smashing away, they might come over and express their displeasure with my actions. Context, my friend.
    08-16-2017 08:24 AM
    I'm sorry...I want back into your community. Can I?
    Sure. You haven't really done anything wrong to make yourself excluded from the community. Aside from this thread I think you have potential to be a great community member.
    08-16-2017 08:37 AM
    Demos, UNO, should be treated as how you (or i should say an average person) would normally use the device. You also need to take due diligence in protecting the device from damage. Using it in any manner that attempts to damage it would be attempted vandalism.

With that said, i have mentioned this a few time before... Keys and even a standard steel knife is Not going to scratch the screen.
    Stuff like sand, titanium or diamond rings may scratch it, however
    08-16-2017 09:45 AM
    Just to share regarding the S8+'s screen.

Visited a local Target store where they had the S8 and S8+ on demo/display. I carry my house key (regular trapezoid/triangle type house key in the USA) on a Cold Steel Micro Recon mini keychain knife.

I ABUSED THE SCREEN AS MUCH AS I COULD.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of muscle force and strength and pressure I applied to this demo unit. I even used the "G10 Handle" grip areas of my Cold Steel Knife to try to scratch and damage the screen. Didn't work.

The house key didn't do ANYTHING.

I used several angles and several amounts of force.

I bench 205.

The worst I got was a "smudge line" that went away with some rubbing of my finger tips.

I am happy.

So should you be.
    If I benched 205 I sure as heck wouldn't admit it on a public forum!! 🤣🤣

I benched 225 when I was 13 and weighed 100 pounds!
    08-16-2017 09:49 AM
    First off I honestly don't care what you did. Was it a silly thing to do? Yep. Am I going to lose sleep over your silliness? Nope. That's for you and Target to deal with. Lol
    From your reply though you still don't seem to get why people responded to you in the way they did. No the demo is not a precious artifact and it's not about defending the demo. The issue that I've read through out this thread is that you went in trying to destroy something that was not yours. Unlike what you stated demos are not there for you to do as you please with it. I don't think anyone would have responded so harshly had the unit been yours.
    08-16-2017 11:19 AM
    nevermind
    08-16-2017 05:35 PM
    Wow. I just don't know. I only picked up this thread now. (started on my birthday).

It annoys me when people stand in line at a supermarket eating or drinking stuff they haven't paid for yet.

I don't know what's been edited on this thread or what was conversed in private.

Did it really happen, don't know. (WAS it reported?)

Was there a little overreaction, perhaps.

Did the OP's late reply convey contrition or explanation, a little.

It was deliberate, planned, weaponised intent though on equipment that belonged to the store whose low paid staff had to account for it in some way.

Stupid to do, and stupid to post, ultimately yes.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

Will I now be the target of abuse and should the OP thank me, possibly.
    Happy belated birthday!
    08-16-2017 06:15 PM
    Mine feel about 2 feet and cracked.
    08-16-2017 07:53 PM
    Admitting you tried to damage store property....good one haha
    08-17-2017 04:13 AM
    Wow, think this subject has been beat to death. Everyone wants to to be a judge here.
    08-17-2017 07:39 AM
    thanks
    08-20-2017 11:51 PM
    He benches 205 though...

Bless, suppose you have to start somewhere
    08-21-2017 03:09 AM
65 123