08-21-2017 03:09 AM
65 123
tools
    Just to share regarding the S8+'s screen.

Visited a local Target store where they had the S8 and S8+ on demo/display. I carry my house key (regular trapezoid/triangle type house key in the USA) on a Cold Steel Micro Recon mini keychain knife.

I ABUSED THE SCREEN AS MUCH AS I COULD.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of muscle force and strength and pressure I applied to this demo unit. I even used the "G10 Handle" grip areas of my Cold Steel Knife to try to scratch and damage the screen. Didn't work.

The house key didn't do ANYTHING.

I used several angles and several amounts of force.

I bench 205.

The worst I got was a "smudge line" that went away with some rubbing of my finger tips.

I am happy.

So should you be.
    crzycrkr and gregg6942 like this.
    06-20-2017 04:39 AM
    Wait what!?

That's not what the demo units are there for.

To see a more accurate depiction of durability watch jerryrigeverything
    to see how much abuse the screen can take.

And btw , keys and coins haven't been the enemy for awhile. It's grit and sand that puts scratches on your screen.

I hope no one signs off on what you did.
    06-20-2017 04:50 AM
    Okay.
    06-20-2017 05:14 AM

Visited a local Target store where they had the S8 and S8+ on demo/display. I carry my house key (regular trapezoid/triangle type house key in the USA) on a Cold Steel Micro Recon mini keychain knife.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of muscle force and strength and pressure I applied to this demo unit. I even used the "G10 Handle" grip areas of my Cold Steel Knife to try to scratch and damage the screen. Didn't work.

I bench 205.

The worst I got was a "smudge line" that went away with some rubbing of my finger tips.

I am happy.

So should you be.
    No video?
    06-20-2017 05:24 AM
    Its a wonder no one noticed you and asked you to leave... that is definitely not what a demo unit is for..
    jacker likes this.
    06-20-2017 05:53 AM
    Okay.
    06-20-2017 06:22 AM
    Yeah, not cool... But glad the screen is pretty strong.
    jacker likes this.
    06-20-2017 08:42 AM
    Yes well one grain of sand can destroy that screen. So congrats I guess on abusing a demo unit intended to showcase the phone to the public?
    jstwondrng, Premium1 and jacker like this.
    06-20-2017 08:54 AM
    Could you please specify which Target store so that we can let their AP team know who is responsible for the vandalism?
    06-20-2017 09:01 AM
    Congrats on making it to the frontpage: https://www.androidcentral.com/dont-...its-durability
    LegalAmerican and bhatech like this.
    06-20-2017 11:10 AM
    I missed the 205 part of the OP. lol

jacker, bhatech and Premium1 like this.
    06-20-2017 11:16 AM
    OP, I hope you're reading this.

Please do not do such a thing again. Floor units are there to give walking customers a glimpse at what a phone can do and how it roughly feels. However, it is the property of whoever owns the store it is placed in, so you shouldn't ever try to break it because if you do, you'll be in trouble, especially if it's on purpose.

You're probably gonna ask about the customers who hold on to the phone for long periods, mess with the software or just general wear and tear. Those are normal and in the case of software, demonstration models have firmware that automatically rolls back any changes made to the device's settings, so that's recoverable. But scratches and other permanent damage can't be recoverable, and if you're going to purposely torture a device over there, if you get caught, it's not going to be pretty.
    jacker, bhatech, Premium1 and 2 others like this.
    06-20-2017 11:26 AM

I bench 205.

I am happy.

So should you be.
    Wow you are such a bada**. Why would you do this to something you do not own. Not to be that guy, but wish they would have caught you and made you pay for it.
    "I bench 205" lol ok Arnold...
    06-20-2017 11:39 AM
    I know it may not be easy, but please keep the discussion civil. Thank you.
    06-20-2017 11:44 AM
    You should not intentionally damage things that aren't yours. Want to test durability? Do it on your own phone .. Or wait .. were you scared of maybe damaging it? Just like you damaged the one you didn't own and was supposed to be for consumers to see how the phone was?

Think before you act.
    jacker likes this.
    06-20-2017 11:49 AM
    Could you please specify which Target store so that we can let their AP team know who is responsible for the vandalism?
    What vandalism? According to the post, there was no damage. If there was no damage, there was no vandalism.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    06-20-2017 12:03 PM
    What vandalism? According to the post, there was no damage. If there was no damage, there was no vandalism.
    Just because he is incompetent at causing damage, does not mean that his intent was not to cause damage while he "ABUSED THE SCREEN AS MUCH AS I (he) COULD".
    jiyean likes this.
    06-20-2017 12:08 PM
    Just because he is incompetent at causing damage, does not mean that his intent was not to cause damage
    Of course. I didn't deny that he had bad intent. But that doesn't warrant accusing him of something he didn't actually do.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    06-20-2017 12:16 PM
    Of course. I didn't deny that he had bad intent. But that doesn't warrant accusing him of something he didn't actually do.
    So if a person throws a brick at a window and the window doesn't break, that person shouldn't be charged? It's the action that is at issue, not the results of the action. I haven't accused anyone of anything they didn't do. He did vandalize the device, intentionally - he just sucked at it and so the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. If this was your phone that this was attempted on, without your prior knowledge or permission, are you saying you'd say, "no harm, no foul"? If so, you're a better person than the legal system, which can and often will charge someone for attempted vandalism, in some states referred to as Trespass, which typically does have a lesser maximum sentence, yet is still the same classification of misdemeanor or felony, depending on the value of the property upon which vandalism was attempted or carried out.
    cass_m, jiyean and BratPAQ like this.
    06-20-2017 12:24 PM
    So if a person throws a brick at a window and the window doesn't break, that person shouldn't be charged?
    They should be charged if there's a law against what they did. But if there was no damage (not even cosmetic), then they didn't break the law that prohibits vandalism.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    06-20-2017 12:27 PM
    I know it may not be easy, but please keep the discussion civil. Thank you.
    If there were ever a thread to let the natives be restless its gotta be this one. A 2 hour free pass would be a very kind gift from the mods.
    bhatech and mary beth hale like this.
    06-20-2017 12:27 PM
    They should be charged if there's a law against what they did. But if there was no damage (not even cosmetic), then they didn't break the law that prohibits vandalism.
    Attempt to commit a crime is a punishable offense in every state:

An attempted crime is one that wasn’t finished, which failed to achieve completion for one of two reasons:

The defendant did everything she set out to do, but failed. For example, she decides to shoot the victim, buys the gun, follows the victim, shoots, but misses. This is known as a “complete attempt,” or

The defendant does some of the acts needed to finish the crime, but is prevented from succeeding or decides to quit. For instance, the defendant takes the steps noted above but changes her mind at the last minute, or is prevented from continuing by the intervention of a police officer. This is known as an “incomplete” attempt.
    What Hercules did was indeed a crime.
    jiyean and Aquila like this.
    06-20-2017 12:31 PM
    How stupid. (and that's putting it lightly, because anything more than that will just get edited out, and my wrist slapped).

... But yet my S8+ screen scratched in two places just a couple weeks old, from being in my pocket with nothing else but apparently a grain of sand
    06-20-2017 12:36 PM
    ... nothing else but apparently a grain of sand
    You need one of these.
    I Took a Cold Steel Micro Recon and House Key to a Demo Unit - Screen, Scratch, Durability-_1.jpg
    Fret Madden and jacker like this.
    06-20-2017 12:40 PM
    Bet you that you are a Millennial. Damn slackers.
    areyes163 likes this.
    06-20-2017 01:10 PM
65 123