Why is there a lot of hate for the S8?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well my S8+ does lag sometimes and performance could be better, for example, Pixel, OnePlus 3T, LG G6, iPhone 7 are all faster with "inferior" hardware. With that being said, S8+ is not slow by any means, it is still pretty fast, it is my daily driver and in my opinion the best all-round phone to date considering the overall package of BEAUTIFUL BIG AWESOME screen (main reason is my daily driver until note 8), beautiful design, water resistance, wireless charging, good battery life, best AOD, iris scanner, one of the quickest cameras, samsung pay, we still have to see how useful bixby or bluetooth 5 will be on the future, etc, etc.

I'll ask you if you have done what I always do with all my Android phones, a weekly reboot and at least a monthly apps cached data clean up? This is what I always do, and I haven't had any lag or issues with this phone.

In your case I'd do a Wipe cache Partition on recovery mode now and with every new update you receive. The weekly reboot can be scheduled via General maintenance - Reset menu settings, that will require no intervention from you and the clear apps cached data and Wipe cache Partition can be done in a couple minutes.

Try that and see if it gets better for you.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I'll ask you if you have done what I always do with all my Android phones, a weekly reboot and at least a monthly apps cached data clean up? This is what I always do, and I haven't had any lag or issues with this phone.

In your case I'd do a Wipe cache Partition on recovery mode now and with every new update you receive. The weekly reboot can be scheduled via General maintenance - Reset menu settings, that will require no intervention from you and the clear apps cached data and Wipe cache Partition can be done in a couple minutes.

Try that and see if it gets better for you.

I do reboot the device around once a week for different reasons, sometimes it runs out of battery, sometimes because is laggier than normal or to apply a change, update, etc. Also wipe cache from time to time not as often but maybe once every 3 weeks

I'm not complaining or hating about the phone the 4 I've had are and were as fast as the average s8/s8+ I was just stating a general conclusion:

Is it the smoothest device out there? No

is it the best overall phone? it depens on the needs of each individual but considering everything for me it's the best phone in the world right now and that's why is my daily driver until the note 8

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I never had a Samsung phone I liked Moto Z was ok . Pixel was boring did not have the LG G6. With that sa is i feel the s8 plus is the best phone currently out. it may have some faults but they are less than any other phone currently

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I never get the "over the top" hate towards any device. I go into phone season with an open mind lol. For myself I don't really care for the edge display. Does that mean the S8 is terrible? Of course not. It's in the top 5 on my list.

We just went out one bought the G6 at launch because that's what ✓ed off the most likes on my list. If the S8 still had the flat display I would have considered it more closely

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I never get the "over the top" hate towards any device. I go into phone season with an open mind lol. For myself I don't really care for the edge display. Does that mean the S8 is terrible? Of course not. It's in the top 5 on my list.

We just went out one bought the G6 at launch because that's what ✓ed off the most likes on my list. If the S8 still had the flat display I would have considered it more closely

I second this although i didn't like the smaller screen on the g6 (and not being able to "crop" videos to suit the whole screen) samsung's phone always suited me the most as i use alot of their apps (note,calendar,secret folder mostly) does it mean i think the g6 suck ? HELL NO i almost went with it just for the price + my carrier offered a free speaker with it and although i got one from a samsung promotion i still think the g6 even with it's more conservative design looks classy as heck !

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
To be fair I've used the five most prominent smart phone OS's in the past 11 years: Palm , Blackberry, Android, Windows, and iOS. Each had/has its quirks. Of them, I still think Windows Mobile was the best. Unfortunately, Microsoft shot itself in the foot. In many ways it was a head of Android and iOS. It's the lack of app support that is it's Achilles heel. As for my S8+, I traded in my iPhone 6s Plus for it. I got tired of paying for functionality that was free on Android and Windows Mobile.

Are there some things Samsung could have done better? Sure. But even with the quirks that the S8/8+ has, it's still better than anything Apple, HTC, or LG can put out.

As far as people making opinions not based on fact. I'm sorry, if you can't back up your opinion with actual factual data then you should keep it to yourself. Because if you don't, then you're just making a fool of yourself and nobody will take you seriously.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some have had bad experiences, some don't like Samsung, and some just want to stir the pot. It is a mix of those. Just like Apple gets tons of hate (sometimes from people who never even gave it a shot). I mean .. Apple can work for me but I prefer Android. That said .. It doesn't mean I just blindly hate Apple.

Ironically I like my IPad over my Android tablet. Hate my work Iphone.... Go figure.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ironically I like my IPad over my Android tablet. Hate my work Iphone.... Go figure.

Haha. Yeah I like the iPad we have. I really don't hate iPhones .. I just prefer Android. I do love iPhones for iMessage .. Benefit is texting full videos without them being compressed like crazy by the carrier.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone.

I am not a Samsung fan boy but I think S8+ is the best phone and also the best looking phone right now. I never had any performance problem , no random shut down or any problem.

I will stick with this phone until I see the phone that have better looking and I can't go back to the phone that have big top and bottom hazel anymore..

Any thought?

I won't pass judgement on the S8 or anyone who likes it.... Its just not for me. I like LG and they get a lot of hate too. I suppose many brands do.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Haha. Yeah I like the iPad we have. I really don't hate iPhones .. I just prefer Android. I do love iPhones for iMessage .. Benefit is texting full videos without them being compressed like crazy by the carrier.

Yeah hate is maybe a strong word. Actually before Verizon had WiFi calling I used to use an old iphone or my IPad to call home or facetime from my buddies cabin or once when I was in Mexico. At first I could only call other iPhones but the Verizon Messaging added WiFi calling linked to my number and I was able to call anywhere.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The phone is not without issues and compromises, there are a lot of things to love about it and a lot of things to hate about it. No phone is perfect, especially this one. I'd strongly disagree that it's the best phone and the best looking phone, but I understand why people think that it is either or.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Because people don't have any real problems in their lives, they have to manifest it by getting irrationally upset over a consumer electronics product being offered for sale.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The phone is not without issues and compromises, there are a lot of things to love about it and a lot of things to hate about it. No phone is perfect, especially this one. I'd strongly disagree that it's the best phone and the best looking phone, but I understand why people think that it is either or.

Define "A lot of things to hate about it?

I mean, I can totally understand hating bone cancer in children, but does anyone really have enough energy to "hate" a feature on a phone that they are free to buy or not buy?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Define "A lot of things to hate about it?

I mean, I can totally understand hating bone cancer in children, but does anyone really have enough energy to "hate" a feature on a phone that they are free to buy or not buy?

I was just using that word because of the thread title. It's exactly as easy to "hate" a feature as it is to "love" one.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
H8erz gone h8... Seriously though, I think part of it is the bold redesign. When I first saw it, I was like "what are they thinking?" with the FPS placement and the tall skinny design. Once you get used to it, it's an awesome device. I've had the S4, S5, S6 and S7 Edge and I can say without a doubt that the S8+ is blows all of them away in almost every aspect. The typical Samsung lag is completely gone on the S8+ in my experience.

I do think the FPS placement is a very poor choice though. It should be lower on the device like on the LG models. Coming from the LG V20, I hated the FPS location on my S8+. The V20 FPS placement is perfect IMO. After a week with the S8+, I find the FPS location is not a problem at all for me anymore. I've totally gotten used to it. I love this phone. I have stepped away from Samsung a few times but I always end up coming back.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You still didn't give any definition or list of what could be considered "a lot of things to hate."

I didn't do that intentionally, because the thread isn't "what do you like and dislike about it", it's "why are people hating on it". So my comment is that it's totally valid for people to have issues with it and totally valid for people to like it.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So what you are really saying is that you disagree with the notion that emotionally stable people should "hate" a phone, or a feature. That's a perfectly normal position to have. Too bad you didn't start with that. Because as you said, the thread isn't "what do you like and dislike." The thread is "Why is there so much hate" to which you responded that there were a lot of things to hate about it. So don't be surprised if you might be asked to actually substantiate your opinion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So what you are really saying is that you disagree with the notion that emotionally stable people should "hate" a phone, or a feature. That's a perfectly normal position to have. Too bad you didn't start with that. Because as you said, the thread isn't "what do you like and dislike." The thread is "Why is there so much hate" to which you responded that there were a lot of things to hate about it. So don't be surprised if you might be asked to actually substantiate your opinion.

As I said, I think it's clear that with the thread using "hate" in the title and the prior posts, that I am using "hate" in the exact same manner as the rest of the thread. Not that people are passionately disgusted by the things, but that they dislike things. It can also be said that people who like those things or like other things are interpreting those dislikes as being hatred due to their own pro-like bias. I think there are very few people that are actually angry about any features on a device they chose not to purchase. But there are many valid complaints about the S8 that could reasonably inspire a person to choose something else in its stead.

Futhermore, I think it's more egregious to pretend that a device is perfect or that there are no valid complaints about it, than it is to voice ones opinions about what they like and dislike about it. And, as can be seen in this thread and in others, far more people ARE angry about people disagreeing with their opinions about it, than are angry about any perceived misses on the OEM's part in producing the device. So with that in mind, pointing out that the device DOES have flaws and does have subjective aspects that people may or may not appreciate is simply putting forth the idea that perhaps the "haters" are just as justified, or even more so, than the people complaining about other people not liking it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
As I said, I think it's clear that with the thread using "hate" in the title and the prior posts, that I am using "hate" in the exact same manner as the rest of the thread. Not that people are passionately disgusted by the things, but that they dislike things. It can also be said that people who like those things or like other things are interpreting those dislikes as being hatred due to their own pro-like bias. I think there are very few people that are actually angry about any features on a device they chose not to purchase. But there are many valid complaints about the S8 that could reasonably inspire a person to choose something else in its stead.

Futhermore, I think it's more egregious to pretend that a device is perfect or that there are no valid complaints about it, than it is to voice ones opinions about what they like and dislike about it. And, as can be seen in this thread and in others, far more people ARE angry about people disagreeing with their opinions about it, than are angry about any perceived misses on the OEM's part in producing the device. So with that in mind, pointing out that the device DOES have flaws and does have subjective aspects that people may or may not appreciate is simply putting forth the idea that perhaps the "haters" are just as justified, or even more so, than the people complaining about other people not liking it.

I think you may be talking about something different.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad