Why is there a lot of hate for the S8?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone.

I am not a Samsung fan boy but I think S8+ is the best phone and also the best looking phone right now. I never had any performance problem , no random shut down or any problem.

I will stick with this phone until I see the phone that have better looking and I can't go back to the phone that have big top and bottom hazel anymore..

Any thought?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some have had bad experiences, some don't like Samsung, and some just want to stir the pot. It is a mix of those. Just like Apple gets tons of hate (sometimes from people who never even gave it a shot). I mean .. Apple can work for me but I prefer Android. That said .. It doesn't mean I just blindly hate Apple.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Some have had bad experiences, some don't like Samsung, and some just want to stir the pot. It is a mix of those. Just like Apple gets tons of hate (sometimes from people who never even gave it a shot). I mean .. Apple can work for me but I prefer Android. That said .. It doesn't mean I just blindly hate Apple.

Unfortunately i've seen alot of threads that pretty much seem like free hate towards the phone (i could name at least one but i won't for obvious reasons) what's unfortunate imo is that mods defend the people because it's "their opinion". I'm sorry but if someone makes a thread saying the phone is basically ****e without pointing any logical reasons as to why they don't have a place here imho if it's personnal issues or bad experience i can easily understand but free hate to "stir up the pot" is like an apple fanboy coming here saying android is bad.... dosen't seem to make alot of sense now does it ?

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone.

I am not a Samsung fan boy but I think S8+ is the best phone and also the best looking phone right now. I never had any performance problem , no random shut down or any problem.

I will stick with this phone until I see the phone that have better looking and I can't go back to the phone that have big top and bottom hazel anymore..

Any thought?

Well my S8+ does lag sometimes and performance could be better, for example, Pixel, OnePlus 3T, LG G6, iPhone 7 are all faster with "inferior" hardware. With that being said, S8+ is not slow by any means, it is still pretty fast, it is my daily driver and in my opinion the best all-round phone to date considering the overall package of BEAUTIFUL BIG AWESOME screen (main reason is my daily driver until note 8), beautiful design, water resistance, wireless charging, good battery life, best AOD, iris scanner, one of the quickest cameras, samsung pay, we still have to see how useful bixby or bluetooth 5 will be on the future, etc, etc.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
It's definitely one of the best phones out there now. No question. Google Pixel, the LG G6, the Moto Z, and maybe a couple of others are all comparable phones. Just depends on what you're looking for.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Wow, really?

Yes, with heavy usage yes and as I said Pixel, OnePlus 3T, LG G6, iPhone 7 are faster under the same circumstances but it is not a big difference. Sometimes animations sluttter like skipping frames and do a lot of little pauses vs all the animations going very smooth on the other phones when switching between apps a lot, also fingerprint is the slowest one compared to the other mentioned phones (oneplus 3T is my favorite fingerprint scanner) but also not too bad and having the option of iris scanner is nice

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, with heavy usage yes and as I said Pixel, OnePlus 3T, LG G6, iPhone 7 are faster under the same circumstances but it is not a big difference. Sometimes animations sluttter like skipping frames and do a lot of little pauses vs all the animations going very smooth on the other phones when switching between apps a lot, also fingerprint is the slowest one compared to the other mentioned phones (oneplus 3T is my favorite fingerprint scanner) but also not too bad and having the option of iris scanner is nice

Well like mentionned elsewhere some do seem to have worst phones than others.
I personally haven't had any issues (at least i haven't noticed them) fingerprint scanner though is instant for me put my finger on it boom unlocks.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I personally haven't had any issues (at least i haven't noticed them) fingerprint scanner though is instant for me put my finger on it boom unlocks.

I've had 3 S8+ (returned two because of camera problem and other one red tint problem) and also have an s8 regular size and all 4 are about the same regarding performance but all of them are from T-Mobile I'm not sure if the exynos variant is any different, fingerprint is really fast, it reads instantly but there is a very small moment like 0.5 s where I stop seeing AOD and just see a black screen then I see an animation then I see the home screen or whatever app I was on. I'm not complaining, it's fast enough and I love that you don't have to press the button first like previous samsung flagships but if you compare one phone in one hand and the other phone in the other hand the 3T is probably 0.1 seconds from making contact with the glass with your thumb to the moment you're seeing your home screen/app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately i've seen alot of threads that pretty much seem like free hate towards the phone (i could name at least one but i won't for obvious reasons) what's unfortunate imo is that mods defend the people because it's "their opinion". I'm sorry but if someone makes a thread saying the phone is basically ****e without pointing any logical reasons as to why they don't have a place here imho if it's personnal issues or bad experience i can easily understand but free hate to "stir up the pot" is like an apple fanboy coming here saying android is bad.... dosen't seem to make alot of sense now does it ?

I get your point -- I really do... and you hit the nail on the head of being a moderator :p. We have to weed out the people who are just trying to troll versus people who simply are sharing their opinion (good or bad). We don't want to just squash opinions because it doesn't praise Android. That isn't productive. It is also hard to just smash something due to low detail.. Remember everyone doesn't speak English as their first language so sometimes that is a factor.

It is a hard job but we try and be as fair as possible. Member reports help with us keeping an eye on the board :).

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I get your point -- I really do... and you hit the nail on the head of being a moderator :p. We have to weed out the people who are just trying to troll versus people who simply are sharing their opinion (good or bad). We don't want to just squash opinions because it doesn't praise Android. That isn't productive. It is also hard to just smash something due to low detail.. Remember everyone doesn't speak English as their first language so sometimes that is a factor.

It is a hard job but we try and be as fair as possible. Member reports help with us keeping an eye on the board :).

Ahah i myself am not a native english speaker XD (i'm from the province of quebec in canada if that's any indication :p) Though i do admit i sometimes (or often) sound more harsh than intended. I also was offered a higher post not long ago as i was being very active but refused as i don't wanna be here full time (who knows might consider it if i get another offer)

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site

Yeah, my phone has no issues with "frame dropping" that I have noticed, or any of these other performance related complaints, at least none that I can blame on the phone. And the FPS works the instant I touch it. Well, now that I have a case on it, it might "miss" and have to try again.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had 3 S8+ (returned two because of camera problem and other one red tint problem) and also have an s8 regular size and all 4 are about the same regarding performance but all of them are from T-Mobile I'm not sure if the exynos variant is any different, fingerprint is really fast, it reads instantly but there is a very small moment like 0.5 s where I stop seeing AOD and just see a black screen then I see an animation then I see the home screen or whatever app I was on. I'm not complaining, it's fast enough and I love that you don't have to press the button first like previous samsung flagships but if you compare one phone in one hand and the other phone in the other hand the 3T is probably 0.1 seconds from making contact with the glass with your thumb to the moment you're seeing your home screen/app

This is how you say bad things about anything clearly explained and easy to understand(that's the original title if you didn't know)

Nb: I get ya i don't consider my s8+ to be perfect myself but compared to my old note 4 it's miles better imho. Guess i was just lucky to not have any noticeable issues with it :p (exept for a slight red tint but fixed it myself).

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, hmm. I was curious and just tried it out. And sometimes I hit it just right and bam the phone unlocks that instant. Other times I hit it a little off and I guess the phone has to think about it because it takes some noticeable fraction of second to unlock. I guess it all depends on how well you place your finger.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If you've been around for other generations of Samsung devices, this is nothing new. People always come after what is most successful, whether it be a phone, sports team, gaming system... You name it.

Samsung is on top right now, so they will attract admiration, but also jealousy, spitefulness and high expectations.

Other phones have occasional stutters, lag and issues, but a Samsung is expected to run flawlessly. When someone returns a Samsung device, they don't just return it, they have to remind everyone every 5 minutes that they returned it like they're trying to convince themselves they made the right choice. Every single year it's the same drill lol

By the same token, they also have a large group of defenders and fanboys...just like Apple, which must annoy the hell out of people too so...

Get used to it and just enjoy your phone.

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
IMHO, no device is perfect; there will be fans and haters.
This is my first Samsung device since 2003 and android device since 2010 and I've got no issues.
The same can be said of my iPhone 6S Plus, no issues there; I just felt that android has evolved (and Samsung) since then to give it a try and see which I prefer.

Haven't experienced any "lag" or sluggishness but it's been only a few days. So far so good, each has pros and cons

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
This is how you say bad things about anything clearly explained and easy to understand(that's the original title if you didn't know)

Nb: I get ya i don't consider my s8+ to be perfect myself but compared to my old note 4 it's miles better imho. Guess i was just lucky to not have any noticeable issues with it :p (exept for a slight red tint but fixed it myself).

What was the original title? I didn't get that part

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, hmm. I was curious and just tried it out. And sometimes I hit it just right and bam the phone unlocks that instant. Other times I hit it a little off and I guess the phone has to think about it because it takes some noticeable fraction of second to unlock. I guess it all depends on how well you place your finger.

Yeah that's what I mean, for example if you watch this video on other device:

https://youtu.be/GbPbBpNTeP8

And try to lock/unlock the s8 at the same phase than him you will fall a ilttle behind but again the difference is noticeable but not a big deal, no one does that continuous lock/unlock in actual usage, the average I use the fingerprint sensor a day I think it would be around 50-100 times and losing 20-30 seconds of my day (out of the 86,400) in total "waiting" to unlock is practically nothing. Fingerprint sensor and speed are the only things I liked about the 3T but it's missing all of features that the S8 has that I mentioned in my first post in this thread

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's what I mean, for example if you watch this video on other device:

https://youtu.be/GbPbBpNTeP8

And try to lock/unlock the s8 at the same phase than him you will fall a ilttle behind but again the difference is noticeable but not a big deal, no one does that continuous lock/unlock in actual usage, the average I use the fingerprint sensor a day I think it would be around 50-100 times and losing 20-30 seconds of my day (out of the 86,400) in total "waiting" to unlock is practically nothing. Fingerprint sensor and speed are the only things I liked about the 3T but it's missing all of features that the S8 has that I mentioned in my first post in this thread

Original title talked about why all the hate towards the s8 (because of some recent threads that have plagued the forums here) Also not watching the vid as i see no need to imho as long as it unlocks my screen i have no issue with it + not a swipe like the s5/note 4 were so that's 100x better to me (i come from a note 4) + with all the ways to unlock you can have fun with it even if you open the phone 1000x a day (i use iris scanner with one of em face thing on it xD) that's why i like samsung most: options there's always more than one way to do anything on it even if it's not perfect.