How to restore Whatsapp and SMS (VMSG) files in Samsung Galaxy S8?

Oridroo

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have copied the whole Whatsapp folder from my old android phone and kept it on my SD card. I also backed up my SMS and it was stored as VMSG file in my SD card.
Now I'm not getting any way to access the SMS as well as restoring my Whatsapp data and history. Can anyone please enlighten me?
Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that won't work. Whatsapp messages are encrypted and linked to your phone's IMEI and other key files, so just copying the folder over won't give the app access to your messages (and that's a good thing). You can create a back up in the old phone, send the back up file (which is encrypted) to the new phone, sign in on the new phone, and restore the back up file from there.

As for the VMSG file for SMS, I'm not sure which app you used for that but that should be the same thing that needs to be used to restore them to the new phone.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
SMS Backup and Restore can restore both your SMS history and phone logs from a previous phone. I change phones every year, and that's my go-to for transferring those data to a new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair