When the new iPhone launches, what will you do?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: When the new iPhone releases, what will you do,

Everybody have different preferences and priorities, if yours is to use less and less your phone, that's great, but I don't see it that way, at least not yet. I love tech so if it's not on my phone, I'll have my tablet or my laptop or my Roku on just to look for something to do or watch, so with the iPhone it was just that, a phone, to use it when I needed to make calls or send Whatsapp messages, basically, that was all, I even preferred to use the Apple Watch to do certain stuff than pickup the iPhone to do them, yes, I was that bored with the iPhone, nothing new, nothing interesting for me to even look around.

My answer above applies to your question, for the rest of your post, I use my phone when I need it/want to, that's a choice, like I said before, if you feel that's not right, good for you, for me is my Work, Entertainment, Reading and Social tool, so yes, I'm on it most of the day, that doesn't mean I don't have time for some Family Quality time and have an normal life, I don't see it as one thing or the other.

I use my phone for the same exact things you use it for too and I can do that all on the iPhone as well even though it may be "more boring." I use it for work, entertainment, social activity (obviously since I'm on Tapatalk) reading and movies. I think maybe you just worded it wrong bc I use my phone when I need to for all of these things, but constantly used my android for reasons I didn't need to use it like customizing and trying to tweak my battery and what not. I don't do that now because I don't feel the need to

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I get what your saying, but your point is a little flawed in my opinion.

If all you need is a phone to make calls, text, and video chat... Any smart phone will work for you. You don't have to tweak a Android phone, I would bet most don't. If you take a decent Android phone out of the box and turn it on, do nothing else, you have those features at your fingertips, and probably with no issues. I think most issues with phones come from the tweaking, that's why I don't root or jail brake phones anymore. For what you want a phone for, you don't need to pay the high dollar price tags for flagship phones, there are a lot of cheaper options IMO.

Guess what I'm trying to say, Android phones work good out of the box for those features, it's not a requirement to tweak your phone.

Yes and maybe I didn't properly describe my situation. I am not one of those users that JUST need a phone to make calls and text. I'm saying those are the essentials that I use a phone for on top of the social activity, entertainment, work usage, reading articles and doing all my finances on my iPhone. I use my phone all day, but I use it when I need it. With an android phone I always felt the need to tweak it. I was never happy with the setup I had because the options are endless with launchers, widgets, etc. If I have the ability to use open source software I am going to tweak it because I'm a techie. So now that I don't have that I am using that time I spent on my android more wisely, that's all. Just my experience with both platforms

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I use my phone for the same exact things you use it for too and I can do that all on the iPhone as well even though it may be "more boring." I use it for work, entertainment, social activity (obviously since I'm on Tapatalk) reading and movies. I think maybe you just worded it wrong bc I use my phone when I need to for all of these things, but constantly used my android for reasons I didn't need to use it like customizing and trying to tweak my battery and what not. I don't do that now because I don't feel the need to

I agree with what you say, I don't spend my time customizing things like battery consumption. I set the phone up the way I want it and that's that. Android gets me for the widgets, able to have a couple screens to flip thru and not have screen after screen of apps, I can't believe Apple hasn't copied the app drawer yet.

But no, I'm not into tweaking settings all the time.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried the S8? I bet that if you do, you'll find that you won't need the urgency to do any of the things you did before. The first Android phone I just got it out of the box and use without too much hassle other than turning off some Google features syncing that I'll never use and disable some of those apps, was the Google Pixel.

When I moved to the iPhone 7 Plus I did a lot of tweaks to the Security menu and needed to turn off a lot of default services using location all the time, so saying that iPhone works out of the box technically is correct but if you want to get the best battery life possible you also need to some tweaks just like in Android.

Now fast Forward to the S8+ and this is the second Android phone that I just turn it on for the first time, transferred all my data to it and began using it. I have everything on, I installed Nova because I'm so used to the gestures on it that I simply couldn't without them, but if I can somehow manage to work around the gestures, I can easily use the new Touchwiz (Samsung Experience UI) without even a theme. It's really good, gorgeous looking, fluid and fast. And best of all, I'm still getting Battery life compared to the iPhone 7 Plus, even on Standby that has been the achilles heel for Android forever.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree with what you say, I don't spend my time customizing things like battery consumption. I set the phone up the way I want it and that's that. Android gets me for the widgets, able to have a could couple screens to flip thru and not have screen after screen of apps, I can't believe Apple hasn't copied the app drawer get.

But no, I'm not into tweaking settings all the time.

Yeah and I'll be the first to say that things are not perfect on iOS, but I keep all my most used apps on the main screen so I am rarely scrolling to other pages. Thats another thing on android with the widgets that bothered me. In order to use a lot the ones I wanted, I had to scroll through my pages to even see them. I found myself never using them because I didn't scroll...as silly as that sounds. Android notifications are much better. There are things iOS needs to work on but at the same time I can say the same for android.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried the S8? I bet that if you do, you'll find that you won't need the urgency to do any of the things you did before. The first Android phone I just got it out of the box and use without too much hassle other than turning off some Google features syncing that I'll never use and disable some of those apps, was the Google Pixel.

When I moved to the iPhone 7 Plus I did a lot of tweaks to the Security menu and needed to turn off a lot of default services using location all the time, so saying that iPhone works out of the box technically is correct but if you want to get the best battery life possible you also need to some tweaks just like in Android.

Now fast Forward to the S8+ and this is the second Android phone that I just turn it on for the first time, transferred all my data to it and began using it. I have everything on, I installed Nova because I'm so used to the gestures on it that I simply couldn't without them, but if I can somehow manage to work around the gestures, I can easily use the new Touchwiz (Samsung Experience UI) without even a theme. It's really good, gorgeous looking, fluid and fast. And best of all, I'm still getting Battery life compared to the iPhone 7 Plus, even on Standby that has been the achilles heel for Android forever.

I have not tried the s8 nor will I be, so having said that I can't really speak for how it has improved over the s7. Android battery management has always been an issue with me, like you said. I have heard people are getting comparable battery life to the 7 plus using an s8 plus which is awesome. I always heard of everyone getting amazing battery life on the s7 edge when mine was always horrible, so I take people's battery opinions very lightly into my usage. I had the pixel too and can say that while the hardware sucked, the software experience was like no other android phone I've used. I took it out of the box and didn't have to change one thing. Google location settings were kept at high accuracy and battery management was great. Again, bc it was android and had endless customization tools I felt the need to always change things.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Yes and maybe I didn't properly describe my situation. I am not one of those users that JUST need a phone to make calls and text. I'm saying those are the essentials that I use a phone for on top of the social activity, entertainment, work usage, reading articles and doing all my finances on my iPhone. I use my phone all day, but I use it when I need it. With an android phone I always felt the need to tweak it. I was never happy with the setup I had because the options are endless with launchers, widgets, etc. If I have the ability to use open source software I am going to tweak it because I'm a techie. So now that I don't have that I am using that time I spent on my android more wisely, that's all. Just my experience with both platforms
I see more what your saying, but my point still stands, you don't have to tweak the settings all the time with Android phones, specially the S8, but I haven't had to do a lot of tweaking for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to switch phones, if iPhone works great for your needs then you have the phone you need, I am just saying a person does not need to tweak settings on Android phones anymore then they do for iPhones, just set it up the way you want it and its done, tweaking is optional on both platforms, and for some people tweaking is an addiction and they like it, but I'm like you, I don't want to tweak all the time and I don't.

EDIT.. I just read another of your replies to someone else. I see now, the ability to tweak being there was bad for you because it made it so you had to do it, so it was an addiction you wanted to get rid of. Makes sense.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I see more what your saying, but my point still stands, you don't have to tweak the settings all the time with Android phones, specially the S8, but I haven't had to do a lot of tweaking for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to switch phones, if iPhone works great for your needs then you have the phone you need, I am just saying a person does not need to tweak settings on Android phones anymore then they do for iPhones, just set it up the way you want it and its done, tweaking is optional on both platforms, and for some people tweaking is an addiction and they like it, but I'm like you, I don't want to tweak all the time and I don't.

That's exactly my point, I was addicted to the tweaking knowing I didn't really have to tweak anymore! I agree that android phones do not have to be tweaked like they used to. I couldn't help myself when it came to android because back in the day I had an s3, s4 and s5 rooted with a new rom on it every week. I realized you didn't need to root devices anymore when it came to the newer technology and gave that up.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

That's exactly my point, I was addicted to the tweaking knowing I didn't really have to tweak anymore! I agree that android phones do not have to be tweaked like they used to. I couldn't help myself when it came to android because back in the day I had an s3, s4 and s5 rooted with a new rom on it every week. I realized you didn't need to root devices anymore when it came to the newer technology and gave that up.
I edited my last post. Gotcha now. And I completely undertand.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I edited my last post. Gotcha now. And I completely undertand.

Haha no problem, yeah I like the discussions and seeing other people's opinion while comparing it to my opinion. It's nice that you as well as others are understanding of it. Having people say oh your just an apple fanboy or I'm on android so I hate apple is annoying. I can say that majority of iPhone users can be fanboys and will say android sucks without ever using it in their life.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I have not tried the s8 nor will I be, so having said that I can't really speak for how it has improved over the s7. Android battery management has always been an issue with me, like you said. I have heard people are getting comparable battery life to the 7 plus using an s8 plus which is awesome. I always heard of everyone getting amazing battery life on the s7 edge when mine was always horrible, so I take people's battery opinions very lightly into my usage. I had the pixel too and can say that while the hardware sucked, the software experience was like no other android phone I've used. I took it out of the box and didn't have to change one thing. Google location settings were kept at high accuracy and battery management was great. Again, bc it was android and had endless customization tools I felt the need to always change things.

So then you can understand what I'm saying about the S8+, like I said, it's just the second Android phone ever for me that I've left High Accuracy on, Location Sharing on and basically everything on and still has one of the best, if not the best battery life right now, and all that with a gorgeous 6.2" QHD screen and all the bells and whistles that only Samsung can bring to the table.

About your urgency to do changes because it's an Android and you have the ability to do it, that's not Android's fault, that can't be a negative when you talk about the OS, don't you think that it's more on your end than Android's?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Haha no problem, yeah I like the discussions and seeing other people's opinion while comparing it to my opinion. It's nice that you as well as others are understanding of it. Having people say oh your just an apple fanboy or I'm on android so I hate apple is annoying. I can say that majority of iPhone users can be fanboys and will say android sucks without ever using it in their life.
Exactly. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it's a bad phone. IPhone has some good points over Android. Updates are superior with iPhone over Android, no bloatware on iPhones, and resetting your iPhone is better, just plug it in to computer and it sets up your phone, Android is a major pain.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it's a bad phone. IPhone has some good points over Android. Updates are superior with iPhone over Android, no bloatware on iPhones, and resetting your iPhone is better, just plug it in to computer and it sets up your phone, Android is a major pain.

Yeah, exactly the 3 neuralgic points I have with Android. I still don't understand how a company like Google can't manage to find a way to do a full Image Backup/restore, so we can reset our phones whenever we want and have it back as it was before within minutes, not long hours.

How is it possible that no other Brand can simply stop Carriers to add countless bloatware if they want to sell their phones with them? The same happens with the Updates and the whole mess with Brands/Carriers.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, exactly the 3 neuralgic points I have with Android. I still don't understand how a company like Google can't manage to find a way to do a full Image Backup/restore, so we can reset our phones whenever we want and have it back as it was before ion minutes, not long hours.

How is it possible that no other Brand can simply stop Carriers to add countless bloatware if they want to sell their phones with them? The same happens with the Updates and the whole mess with Brands/Carriers.
BlackBerry had a great benefit when it came to updates. When you updated the OS thru BlackBerry and if you didn't like the update, you could revert back to the OS you had before the update. Android and Apple both need to adapt that feature.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site

And best of all, I'm still getting Battery life compared to the iPhone 7 Plus, even on Standby that has been the achilles heel for Android forever.

Battery life has not been comparable to the iPhone 7+. That's not to say battery life is bad, it's great... But to say it's up there with the iPhone 7+, especially when it comes to standby, might be pushing it a bit. I have both an iPhone 7+ and a S8+ for reference. iPhone standby alone is unmatched, along with overall better battery life.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Battery life has not been comparable to the iPhone 7+. That's not to say battery life is bad, it's great... But to say it's up there with the iPhone 7+, especially when it comes to standby, might be pushing it a bit. I have both an iPhone 7+ and a S8+ for reference. iPhone standby alone is unmatched, along with overall better battery life.
Shouldn't IPhone have better standby battery life. From what I remember on the iPhone there isn't as much running in the background, widgets and so on.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site

Well then there is a reason battery isn't the same, so it's not a real comparison, I agree. I get 16 plus hours out of the S8 plus, that's plenty.

Right, I was just responding to the dude claiming he's having the same type of battery life with the s8+ as with the iPhone 7+, even standby. Which we all know just isn't true. You and I are in agreement.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Let me see, 15 hours after being unplugged I still have 61% with about 2.25 hours of SOT, at the same time my iPhone 7 Plus was around 65% with basically same usage, by the time I was ready to go to bed around 11pm each night it was at 60%, my S8+ around 55-57%, just like I said, comparable, I never said equal or better. If 3-5% of difference is not comparable then again, different people, different definition of words, terms and phrases.

Screenshot_20170623-201242.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui