Bixby Reviews / Discussion

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Voice is on the closed beta only right now... I don't think they will soft launch it. You will know it when it launches.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well every time you use Google Assistant you're making that smarter, so what's the difference?

Google assistant doesnt have a button on the side of my phone that causes unnecessary wakeups and interruptions when using my phone. It also wasnt a selling point of a phone that after 3 months hasnt been released. Google assistant works with Android Auto and google home which is about the only time any of these "assistants" are actually useful. Bixby works with?

Im sorry but Im not going to stand somewhere and "Talk" to my phone to turn my brightness up when I can just swipe and slide a bar where I want it. Or say "Hey Bixby, turn on bluetooth" when I can swipe down and push a toggle.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Google assistant doesnt have a button on the side of my phone that causes unnecessary wakeups and interruptions when using my phone. It also wasnt a selling point of a phone that after 3 months hasnt been released. Google assistant works with Android Auto and google home which is about the only time any of these "assistants" are actually useful. Bixby works with?

Im sorry but Im not going to stand somewhere and "Talk" to my phone to turn my brightness up when I can just swipe and slide a bar where I want it. Or say "Hey Bixby, turn on bluetooth" when I can swipe down and push a toggle.

That's the beauty of it. You don't have to use it if you don't want but it's there for those of us who do. Google wasnt great when it came out either but now ppl swear by it. Bixby could be even better.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That's the beauty of it. You don't have to use it if you don't want but it's there for those of us who do. Google wasnt great when it came out either but now ppl swear by it. Bixby could be even better.

Thats the part I dont understand. How can Bixby be better? Google isnt going to allow it to work with Android Auto, you'll have to buy a Smartthings hub to get it to work with smart home devices which will still require Google Home or the need to buy a Bixby speaker when it releases, Google can already change device settings with assistant, it doesnt even support the Samsung music app which one would think would be one of the first apps to work, you have to rely on Samsung users to build the database vs Google who utilizes all new and many past devices.

It seems very redundant and not very well thought out. What could Bixby possibly do that Google or Alexa cant or dont already do?

Not trying to blast Bixby and the people that like it, just trying to understand what could possibly come from Bixby that we dont already have.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thats the part I dont understand. How can Bixby be better? Google isnt going to allow it to work with Android Auto, you'll have to buy a Smartthings hub to get it to work with smart home devices which will still require Google Home or the need to buy a Bixby speaker when it releases, Google can already change device settings with assistant, it doesnt even support the Samsung music app which one would think would be one of the first apps to work, you have to rely on Samsung users to build the database vs Google who utilizes all new and many past devices.

It seems very redundant and not very well thought out. What could Bixby possibly do that Google or Alexa cant or dont already do?

Not trying to blast Bixby and the people that like it, just trying to understand what could possibly come from Bixby that we dont already have.
Put it like this, some people like Ford cars but others may like Infinity, BMW, Cadillac, Toyota, Impala etc. They are all drivable cars. See where I'm going here?

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Put it like this, some people like Ford cars but others may like Infinity, BMW, Cadillac, Toyota, Impala etc. They are all drivable cars. See where I'm going here?

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
One thing I want and seems Samsung wont give us is handsfree OK google.Meaning from lock screen.

My hope bixby today will give me that so I can read and send messages totally handsfree.
Why didnt Samsung let us do that with Google???

taraji

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
HOW DO I TURN IT OFF??????!!!

My phone is on tbe table while I am having conversation and all of sudden it is searching the internet for a snippet of my conversation and asking me if what it found was correct.!! WTF!!!

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
HOW DO I TURN IT OFF??????!!!

My phone is on tbe table while I am having conversation and all of sudden it is searching the internet for a snippet of my conversation and asking me if what it found was correct.!! WTF!!!
I'm not sure about this but try deleting your voice setup if you setup Bixby.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Not really since that doesn't relate to the question at all.
I wasn't trying to answer your question but by your response I think I did. I wasn't trying to be a smartie but I did respond to your comment about the redundancy. I'm not sure why it's so hard for some to understand why Samsung decided to develope their own AI. It's their own innovation although similar to other AI but yet different, on their device that they built.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't trying to answer your question but by your response I think I did. I wasn't trying to be a smartie but I did respond to your comment about the redundancy. I'm not sure why it's so hard for some to understand why Samsung decided to develope their own AI. It's their own innovation although similar to other AI but yet different, on their device that they built.

How is it different? What can or will it do that Google doesn't already do? People keep saying it can be great. How can it be great? It won't have access to some of the best features of android AI such as Android Auto. I can drive home, and without touching my phone, open my garage, turn on my lights, navigate to a destination, make a call, send a text, check weather, tune into some music. Samsung will never be able to access those features in Android Auto. What else can or will Bixby be able to do that is "innovative"? What can we expect that isn't already available besides a button?

It's an easy question to answer if you believe what you just said.

Do you think Samsung can gather anywhere near the amount of data Google can from the few devices they will offer with Bixby vs the thousands of Google devices? Every pc has access to Google, how many will access Bixby? It's a flawed approach that is a couple years too late.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
How is it different? What can or will it do that Google doesn't already do? People keep saying it can be great. How can it be great? It won't have access to some of the best features of android AI such as Android Auto. I can drive home, and without touching my phone, open my garage, turn on my lights, navigate to a destination, make a call, send a text, check weather, tune into some music. Samsung will never be able to access those features in Android Auto. What else can or will Bixby be able to do that is "innovative"? What can we expect that isn't already available besides a button?

Do you think Samsung can gather anywhere near the amount of data Google can from the few devices they will offer with Bixby vs the thousands of Google devices? Every pc has access to Google, how many will access Bixby? It's a flawed approach that is a couple years too late.
You don't have to use it lol. Don't worry about the button just learn to not hit it accidently or you could get a phone that doesn't have Bixby.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to use it lol. Don't worry about the button just learn to not hit it accidently or you could get a phone that doesn't have Bixby. S8

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
What torques my jaw is that Bixby on this phone is one massive beta for the Note 8. And because some of us, me included, missed the beta window, it means we are out. The least Samsung could have done is allow all of us to opt into the beta or opt out, with no window.