I have an S8+ on Verizon. I'm buying 20 acres of land in an area that doesn't get Verizon coverage. There is, however, AT&T 4G coverage. This will just be a weekend property, so I'm not interested in switching away from Verizon. Can I buy a rate plan on AT&T, and put the sim in my Verizon S8+ when I'm up on the property, and then switch back? I was told I could here on the forum, but the gal at Costco wireless says you can only do that if the device you're using is not on a device payment plan. In other words, I'd have to pay it off. Is that really the case?

What other options do I have, besides buying another phone (like another S8+) on AT&T, with a rate plan? Would am AT&T Hotspot work, and then I could use wifi calling on my Verizon S8+?

Any other creative ideas?
    06-22-2017 12:43 AM
    Yeah, I don't think Verizon will unlock it with a DPP. They may make an exception if you call and are nice. Not sure if they even can. Pay device off and you shouldn't have any problems. Get you a dual SIM adapter and a case maybe to sammich it in. Probably what I would do. Or switch to a Google Voice service that is data dependent so on weekends you didn't have to explain who could reach you at what number when etc. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
    06-22-2017 01:19 AM
    06-22-2017 06:22 AM
    Wow, so according to that I can use an AT&T sim in my current Verizon S8+? Thanks for the info
    badcat likes this.
    06-22-2017 09:05 AM
    Yeah, I don't think Verizon will unlock it with a DPP. They may make an exception if you call and are nice. Not sure if they even can. Pay device off and you shouldn't have any problems. Get you a dual SIM adapter and a case maybe to sammich it in. Probably what I would do. Or switch to a Google Voice service that is data dependent so on weekends you didn't have to explain who could reach you at what number when etc. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
    Verizon phones are already unlocked.
    gernerttl likes this.
    06-22-2017 09:06 AM
    Wow, so according to that I can use an AT&T sim in my current Verizon S8+? Thanks for the info
    Yes you can pop the SIM in right now and it'll work.
    06-22-2017 09:07 AM
    Best Buy sells an unlocked S8+ for $729 and it works on all 4 carriers. If you can get it to work, I would try to get an ATT data plan for a tablet and use that for your data and your Verizon for the phone. You could also probably pick up a cheap pre paid plan.
    06-22-2017 09:14 AM
    Best Buy sells an unlocked S8+ for $729 and it works on all 4 carriers. If you can get it to work, I would try to get an ATT data plan for a tablet and use that for your data and your Verizon for the phone. You could also probably pick up a cheap pre paid plan.
    No real need. He can pop his SIM into his Verizon variant and it'll work since it's unlocked already.
    06-22-2017 09:17 AM
    No problem.
    06-22-2017 05:16 PM
    Do you get all the LTE bands on AT&T with a Verizon S8 Plus?
    09-12-2017 12:04 PM
    Verizon phones are already unlocked.
    Yes. That is true. My co-worker used his in Japan. He got a Japanese SIM and popped it and it worked.
    09-12-2017 03:54 PM
    09-12-2017 03:56 PM
    No real need. He can pop his SIM into his Verizon variant and it'll work since it's unlocked already.
    Last time I tried to put a GSM sim in a Verizon phone, I couldn't get mms to work. No place to change mms apn. Was told that Verizon locks their mms. Granted, this was some years ago and it was a windows phone, so perhaps that was the difference.
    So I can put a GSM sim card into a Verizon phone and mms will work?
    09-13-2017 08:24 PM
    Last time I tried to put a GSM sim in a Verizon phone, I couldn't get mms to work. No place to change mms apn. Was told that Verizon locks their mms. Granted, this was some years ago and it was a windows phone, so perhaps that was the difference.
    So I can put a GSM sim card into a Verizon phone and mms will work?
    Yes. GSM and LTE use similar radio bands.
    09-16-2017 06:28 PM