I have an S8+ on Verizon. I'm buying 20 acres of land in an area that doesn't get Verizon coverage. There is, however, AT&T 4G coverage. This will just be a weekend property, so I'm not interested in switching away from Verizon. Can I buy a rate plan on AT&T, and put the sim in my Verizon S8+ when I'm up on the property, and then switch back? I was told I could here on the forum, but the gal at Costco wireless says you can only do that if the device you're using is not on a device payment plan. In other words, I'd have to pay it off. Is that really the case?

What other options do I have, besides buying another phone (like another S8+) on AT&T, with a rate plan? Would am AT&T Hotspot work, and then I could use wifi calling on my Verizon S8+?

Any other creative ideas?
    06-22-2017 01:43 AM
    Yeah, I don't think Verizon will unlock it with a DPP. They may make an exception if you call and are nice. Not sure if they even can. Pay device off and you shouldn't have any problems. Get you a dual SIM adapter and a case maybe to sammich it in. Probably what I would do. Or switch to a Google Voice service that is data dependent so on weekends you didn't have to explain who could reach you at what number when etc. 👌
    06-22-2017 02:19 AM
    06-22-2017 07:22 AM
    Wow, so according to that I can use an AT&T sim in my current Verizon S8+? Thanks for the info
    badcat likes this.
    06-22-2017 10:05 AM
    Yeah, I don't think Verizon will unlock it with a DPP. They may make an exception if you call and are nice. Not sure if they even can. Pay device off and you shouldn't have any problems. Get you a dual SIM adapter and a case maybe to sammich it in. Probably what I would do. Or switch to a Google Voice service that is data dependent so on weekends you didn't have to explain who could reach you at what number when etc. 👌
    Verizon phones are already unlocked.
    gernerttl likes this.
    06-22-2017 10:06 AM
    Wow, so according to that I can use an AT&T sim in my current Verizon S8+? Thanks for the info
    Yes you can pop the SIM in right now and it'll work.
    06-22-2017 10:07 AM
    Best Buy sells an unlocked S8+ for $729 and it works on all 4 carriers. If you can get it to work, I would try to get an ATT data plan for a tablet and use that for your data and your Verizon for the phone. You could also probably pick up a cheap pre paid plan.
    06-22-2017 10:14 AM
    Best Buy sells an unlocked S8+ for $729 and it works on all 4 carriers. If you can get it to work, I would try to get an ATT data plan for a tablet and use that for your data and your Verizon for the phone. You could also probably pick up a cheap pre paid plan.
    No real need. He can pop his SIM into his Verizon variant and it'll work since it's unlocked already.
    06-22-2017 10:17 AM
    No problem.
    06-22-2017 06:16 PM
    Do you get all the LTE bands on AT&T with a Verizon S8 Plus?
    09-12-2017 01:04 PM
    Verizon phones are already unlocked.
    Yes. That is true. My co-worker used his in Japan. He got a Japanese SIM and popped it and it worked.
    09-12-2017 04:54 PM
    09-12-2017 04:56 PM
    No real need. He can pop his SIM into his Verizon variant and it'll work since it's unlocked already.
    Last time I tried to put a GSM sim in a Verizon phone, I couldn't get mms to work. No place to change mms apn. Was told that Verizon locks their mms. Granted, this was some years ago and it was a windows phone, so perhaps that was the difference.
    So I can put a GSM sim card into a Verizon phone and mms will work?
    09-13-2017 09:24 PM
    Last time I tried to put a GSM sim in a Verizon phone, I couldn't get mms to work. No place to change mms apn. Was told that Verizon locks their mms. Granted, this was some years ago and it was a windows phone, so perhaps that was the difference.
    So I can put a GSM sim card into a Verizon phone and mms will work?
    Yes. GSM and LTE use similar radio bands.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    09-16-2017 07:28 PM
    Yes. GSM and LTE use similar radio bands.
    Just saw this. Thanks for the reply.
    gernerttl likes this.
    09-26-2017 11:33 PM