Will the S8 Plus cut into Note 8 sales?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone think the S8 Plus will cut into Note 8 sales?

I would normally say the Galaxy line doesn't affect it, but with the S8 having a big screen version could that cut into the sales because people can simply buy a cheaper S8 Plus OR they might have bought the S8 Plus because they had the Note 7 and need a bigger screen.

Then again there is the Spen factor. Some people buy the Note for the Spen but like a number of people on here they hardly ever use the spen and simply buy the Note for the large screen.

It will be interesting how they price the Note. If they price it a lot higher than the S8 Plus that could cause people to gravitate towards the S8 Plus because it's cheaper.

Also, it doesn't look like there will be a huge difference between the two other than the Spen. From the leaks the screen is only slightly bigger and maybe a dual camera.

I personally won't buy it until later in the year if they have a price drop like they recently did with the S8 and if I got good trade in. Otherwise I'll stick with the S8 Plus and maybe pickup a Tab s3 if they lower the price to about $450 or I'd prefer they come out with an 8 inch model of it. $499 and $599 is just too expensive for my spen fix but I might consider it though versus maybe paying over 900 for a Note 8.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former note user since note 2. I am using the S8 plus and have no intentions of buying the note 8. I don't use the S pen for much anyway, what I did use it for I can now do the same on the S8 plus. What the note 8 brings new to the table will be on the S9 and plus come next year.

So yes, I think it might affect the sales of the note 8,not drastically, but a little. You have your die hard note fans. Maybe it will be great, but I will wait for a good sale if I do get one, maybe instead of paying high prices all the time for new, I might be on track to get the bargain price.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will. Note users are pretty loyal. The Note 7 was a big success before the battery issue sunk it. People still rave about the Note 7. So if the Note 8 or whatever they call it is anywhere near the quality of the s8 series. The Note will do just fine. Besides I don't believe all those I'll never go back to the note again crowd.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I doubt it, the note series is the best Samsung series made. Plus we all know Samsung is probably going to hit it out of the park, to make up for the note 7 debacle. I'm guessing it will be the phone that introduces the force touch to the whole display not the home button. Also bixby will probably be fully released with the note 8. Not to mention the vast improvements to the spen.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I bought a S8 Plus on launch day but decided to sell it. I was using a different phone for about a month but came back to Samsung since I missed it so much.

Im now using a regular S8 until the Note 8 comes out.

So, no I don't think the S8 Plus will affect Note 8 sales. I think Note users are a very loyal bunch and will keep buying Notes... myself included.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. There are still a lot of people waiting for and wanting their note back. If I wouldn't have liked the 8 plus I would have continued to wait until they released the note 8, but I let the Samsung guy in best buy convince me that they had scrapped the note series. Lol

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, but at this point it will probably be at least one less sale as I don't intend on buying the Note this year. If that's true it will be the first time since the Note 2. I'm enjoying the S8+ and unless there was some deal I couldn't pass up, I'll stick with it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. There are still a lot of people waiting for and wanting their note back. If I wouldn't have liked the 8 plus I would have continued to wait until they released the note 8, but I let the Samsung guy in best buy convince me that they had scrapped the note series. Lol
Lesson learned, right? I have never run into anyone at a Best Buy or Verizon store that knew more about the phones they were selling than I did. I'm not bragging at all. It's just a fact. I mean we are hanging out in this forum. The vast majority of them don't do what we do and read Android Central or imore and then watch YouTube videos on the latest tech news. You would think they would so they could do their job better, but they just don't.

Oh well, at least you got a great phone. I am very happy with my S8+ too.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
..... why would you possibly care? That is like asking is the red iphone 7 going to cut into the sales of the iphone 8.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Lesson learned, right? I have never run into anyone at a Best Buy or Verizon store that knew more about the phones they were selling than I did. I'm not bragging at all. It's just a fact. I mean we are hanging out in this forum. The vast majority of them don't do what we do and read Android Central or imore and then watch YouTube videos on the latest tech news. You would think they would so they could do their job better, but they just don't.

Yes I still got a great phone. Very big lesson was learned. Honestly though I keep blaming the Samsung guy, but I wanted a new phone anyway. Blaming him is my justification for a decision I had already subconsciously made before I walked into the store. Lol

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't see myself switching my S8 Plus is awesome no need to add a pen to my phone. I am impressed ever day by this device and can't see any improvements that would make me switch any day soon.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The question has been answered in my first post. I was a note user since note 2, I'm not buying the note 8, at least on launch day. So yes, the S8 had an effect on the note 8 sales. LOL

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I still got a great phone. Very big lesson was learned. Honestly though I keep blaming the Samsung guy, but I wanted a new phone anyway. Blaming him is my justification for a decision I had already subconsciously made before I walked into the store. Lol
Lol. Been there. I have walked in many times just looking for a reason to make that purchase. Normally I can find one. That's how I stuck with my 7 Plus for 7 months. I didn't give myself the opportunity to look for a reason to buy something else. I fought off the S8+ for about a month before I caved.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
..... why would you possibly care? That is like asking is the red iphone 7 going to cut into the sales of the iphone 8.

I think it's a fair discussion to have - especially for Samsung.

But to answer the OPs question, yes, I think the S8+ will affect sales of the Note 8. I only used the Notes because the screen was bigger. I very rarely used the pen. Since the S8+ has a larger screen, I don't see a need for the Note 8 for myself. HOWEVER, we currently don't know if the Note 8 will bring any exclusive features, so I will wait and see.

Plus, I am always the one with the latest phone, so I may get the Note 8 just because... ;)

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Makes you wonder why they made a Plus size S8 then. I'm thinking because of the Note 7 disaster they felt they needed to bring out a big screened phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about S8+ affecting Note 8 sales... I think the $1100 pricing of the Note 8 will have a bigger effect on Note 8 sales. :-\

S8 and S8+ they are already discounting as much as $100 off so that won't help.

Makes you wonder why they made a Plus size S8 then. I'm thinking because of the Note 7 disaster they felt they needed to bring out a big screened phone.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

You went to the wrong store lol. Although, if we're talking about reps as a majority, you are accurate. Me though? On forums all day, reading any tech rumors, watching reviews haha. I love having convos with fellow enthusiasts at work. It makes me feel more normal that I'm not the only person excited about new devices lol

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
They've had a regular and plus size version since S6.

Yes, but the plus sized S6 really wasn't marketed as the main flagship like the S8 Plus is.

Also to the other poster, $1100? Where did you hear this? WTF. That is way too much. With that price tag they're really aiming for an even more niche market.

Jut for an spen and maybe better camera over the S8 Plus that isn't really worth upgrading. I might pickup a Tab s3 to have the Spen then which it goes on sale again or they come out with a smaller 8 inch model.