Hiya ad

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Received a phone call from someone not one of my contacts.

Declined the call. When I looked at the call received info, the person's name was identified and there was a banner with the word "Hiya".

Pressed the banner and it led me to a website and an invitation to install Hiya, which appears to be a caller id app.

Hiya is not installed, BTW. Is Samsung allowing advertiser's through our door, obnoxious.

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked version. I see from further research that it's built in to the antispam call feature, may have to live with their come on for the sake of spam call protection.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Now that's a first 0.0 never seen that before...... I usually use truecaller for spam protection and all (tells me country of origin and auto blocks if other users reported the number as spam). It's free and i can't live without it these days as i've had too many crap calls from 3 world countries lolz

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Now that's a first 0.0 never seen that before...... I usually use truecaller for spam protection and all (tells me country of origin and auto blocks if other users reported the number as spam). It's free and i can't live without it these days as i've had too many crap calls from 3 world countries lolz

I am one of the lucky ones here in the states that doesn't really get spam calls. I have friends who do and people on this forum who swear they need to block calls but... So far I don't have anything blocked.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I am one of the lucky ones here in the states that doesn't really get spam calls. I have friends who do and people on this forum who swear they need to block calls but... So far I don't have anything blocked.

I'm in canada and my number is at least like..... 8 years old xD spam stopped for a while but before i installed my spam app i was getting more and more calls from all over the place.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in canada and my number is at least like..... 8 years old xD spam stopped for a while but before i installed my spam app i was getting more and more calls from all over the place.

Lol nice. Mine is 8 years old as well .. we're twinsies!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't believe him he always says that... even when I see a box marked fresh prizes arrive at his front door. I think he is hogging the prizes. LOL

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
NUUUUUUUU :( my diabolical plan has been discovered ! Quick to the batcave ! Oh wait...... Wrong one.

To the french canadian cave !!

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Related: I was getting 1-3 spam calls per day on my S7 Edge. Since I've gotten my S8, I'm getting 1/week. Why? I have the same phone number. Is there something screening my calls? Was there something on my old phone inviting spam? It was always the same couple things, but always from different phone numbers.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Related: I was getting 1-3 spam calls per day on my S7 Edge. Since I've gotten my S8, I'm getting 1/week. Why? I have the same phone number. Is there something screening my calls? Was there something on my old phone inviting spam? It was always the same couple things, but always from different phone numbers.

I think the longer you have a number the more chances you get of having spams (ofc this vary and not always true) as i stated before i used to get just a couple,until last year when i started to have more and more until i had to get a new dialer app (truecaller in my case) to block those numbers and stop spam calls since my carrier can't do crap about these (specially if they're hidden numbers i can still know what country they're from with the app).

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't be upset about hiya being built into the dialer. In fact I wish I could get it on the carrier variant without installing the unlocked firmware.

Hiya is really really good. I installed the app on my T-Mobile variant and it's helped out alot.

My number is tied to my business so I was getting probably 20 spam calls a day. Installed hiya and I get 1 a day at most.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the longer you have a number the more chances you get of having spams (ofc this vary and not always true) as i stated before i used to get just a couple,until last year when i started to have more and more until i had to get a new dialer app (truecaller in my case) to block those numbers and stop spam calls since my carrier can't do crap about these (specially if they're hidden numbers i can still know what country they're from with the app).

But my number stayed the same. Spam dropped considerably.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
But my number stayed the same. Spam dropped considerably.

Hmmm.... Maybe it's different here in canada ? I'm going by what my carrier told me when i asked them about the sudden increase in spam i had.
Can always be different (maybe my carrier sold my number to scammers who knows 0.0)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01