Sprint Galaxy S8 Connecting S8+ to pc..

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Since I got the phone I have been trying to connect the phone to my pc. I understand I have an older computer and running Windows 7. I have done everything in my knowledge of computers to get this to work. Even going to the internet to see what fixes if any there are. I just think my system is too old to connect the phone to. This kind of sucks because I really need to connect my phone now that I have the Gear 360 I need to be able to edit the photos and all I take so I can post them on instagram or send to friends.

Anyone have any idea anything I could be missing to get this phone to work with my pc? Understand I do have more than just fundamental knowledge of pc's, so we can skip the old turn off, turn on your computer spiel. I have gone as far as changing and deleting registry keys (via internet) and still nothing. I really think it's just my pc not being capable but I am not giving up until someone says they are not compatible.

Error I get under device manager and properties "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With the phone not connected: Go to Windows Control Panel and click on Device Manager. Poke around in the list in the left pane looking for anything that says Android, Samsung, etc; be sure to check in the Other Devices folder. For anything that you find, right-click on it and click Uninstall Device. A PC reboot at this point would be a good idea but probably not necessary if you don't want to waste the time.

Plug your phone into a USB port and see what happens. At some point, you will (I assume this is the same for newer Samsung devices) unlock your phone, drag down the Notification bar where you should see something like "USB Connected" - tap that and then select USB for File Transfer (or whatever it says; something like that).

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
With the phone not connected: Go to Windows Control Panel and click on Device Manager. Poke around in the list in the left pane looking for anything that says Android, Samsung, etc; be sure to check in the Other Devices folder. For anything that you find, right-click on it and click Uninstall Device. A PC reboot at this point would be a good idea but probably not necessary if you don't want to waste the time.

Plug your phone into a USB port and see what happens. At some point, you will (I assume this is the same for newer Samsung devices) unlock your phone, drag down the Notification bar where you should see something like "USB Connected" - tap that and then select USB for File Transfer (or whatever it says; something like that).

Yeah I got nothing. It's like the system will not download the drivers correctly. I think the drivers are only for Windows 10 and there are no drivers for Windows 7. I think I am going to try Samsung support but they have never been great with this type of stuff in the past, given the typical help as in unplug and plug in your computer.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I got nothing. It's like the system will not download the drivers correctly. I think the drivers are only for Windows 10 and there are no drivers for Windows 7. I think I am going to try Samsung support but they have never been great with this type of stuff in the past, given the typical help as in unplug and plug in your computer.
I have an older windows 7 desktop computer as well and I got my drivers to connect. I just plugged it in and it installed the drivers and then I was able to view it in my computer and manage files etc.. Not that that helps you much but I'm just letting you know that it's not a Windows 7 limitation. Good luck.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a shot of it installing driver.
71cafa719c2ac2fcef6689f1988295db.jpg

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to download and install the Smart Switch Samsung software to get the drivers for Windows 7 machines. If it doesn't automatically install it you'll have to go to device manager and manually point it to the drivers folder in the Smart Switch location. Hope this helps.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, definitely works on my win7 and 10 install, but I did have smartswitch on both. Once installed and working you can uninstall smartswitch if desired.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Smart Switch doesn't work either as the driver will not install properly in the system. I am starting to think my os is just crap and has errors in it that nothing short of full system reset will fix. And that is not going to happen because it takes days for a reset with this old pos computer.

Thanks all for the help.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
This phone works 100% with Windows 7 professional. Can't judge the other versions though.

In device manager delete as much of the USB references as possible, in safe mode. After that run regcleaner and see if smartswitch will install now.
Your USB driver installs are corrupt or misconfigured in your registry. This could be from an older install of drivers or faulty uninstall with some leftovers .
I had Nokia drivers and Samsung drivers on my windows 7 for several galaxy models this one included.
I do recall some issues with my Galaxy A7 and some driver install refusal. I cleaned it out and worked ever since.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
This phone works 100% with Windows 7 professional. Can't judge the other versions though.

In device manager delete as much of the USB references as possible, in safe mode. After that run regcleaner and see if smartswitch will install now.
Your USB driver installs are corrupt or misconfigured in your registry. This could be from an older install of drivers or faulty uninstall with some leftovers .
I had Nokia drivers and Samsung drivers on my windows 7 for several galaxy models this one included.
I do recall some issues with my Galaxy A7 and some driver install refusal. I cleaned it out and worked ever since.

SmartSwitch installed fine, it just will not connect to the phone because of the driver issues. I am going to try a friend's computer later to see if the phone connects if I still have issues I am going to have to get the phone serviced possibly.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
SmartSwitch installed fine, it just will not connect to the phone because of the driver issues. I am going to try a friend's computer later to see if the phone connects if I still have issues I am going to have to get the phone serviced possibly.
Did you see my edit in my post? Did you try to manully point to the drivers folder in the Smart Switch directory from the device manager?

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Did you see my edit in my post? Did you try to manully point to the drivers folder in the Smart Switch directory from the device manager?

I did not see the edit. My system will not install any drivers except for MTP from the system. I have tried to direct the system to read specific areas for drivers and it will not. I even installed the drivers under the smartswitch program files. Now at least the computer recognizes that the device is Samsung and a usb composite device. But the MTP usb device drivers will not install.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I did not see the edit. My system will not install any drivers except for MTP from the system. I have tried to direct the system to read specific areas for drivers and it will not. I even installed the drivers under the smartswitch program files. Now at least the computer recognizes that the device is Samsung and a usb composite device. But the MTP usb device drivers will not install.
Ah man bummer. I hope it gets sorted.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
The s8 is compatible with windows 7 so it's not your os but i've found that samsung's driver don't always install automatically (mine for one didn't) you're gonna have to search the samsung's driver installer (if i find the link i'll edit this post for ya)

Not an issue with both the phone nor the pc that's just samsung sucking at driver management :p

Edit : found it quicker than i thought

Galaxy S8 (Sprint) | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to download and install the Smart Switch Samsung software to get the drivers for Windows 7 machines. If it doesn't automatically install it you'll have to go to device manager and manually point it to the drivers folder in the Smart Switch location. Hope this helps.

I was going to suggest this too. My Win 7 Pro works perfectly with my S8 and I have Smart Switch installed. It saw my phone the first time I plugged it in.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
The s8 is compatible with windows 7 so it's not your os but i've found that samsung's driver don't always install automatically (mine for one didn't) you're gonna have to search the samsung's driver installer (if i find the link i'll edit this post for ya)

Not an issue with both the phone nor the pc that's just samsung sucking at driver management :p

Edit : found it quicker than i thought

Galaxy S8 (Sprint) | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

That is the original drivers I had found. I have uninstalled and reinstalled them several times. There is a different version in SmartSwitch which I have done the same thing with. Nothing works, I am just going to let it go for now as my frustration levels are near boiling. Again thank you all for the help. If I get back to it and get closer I will let yo u all know.