I have had an S8+ since launch and once I set it all up battery has been decent, it still though exhibits the steady drain on idle that I have seen with pretty much every Android I have owned, it is not horrendous but if for example I leave it on my desk at work on standby it will drain a good 2% an hour.

I picked up an LG G6 and have been blown away by the battery, none of the reviews mentioned anything remarkable but I have found it to be terrific and specifically even with the always on display it will barely drop at all when on standby/ idle. A little surprised given the supposed efficiency gains of the SD835 vs the 821.

I am wondering if this could be is hardware related e.g. the radio or is it just a by-product of the additional Samsung bloat vs. LG?
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    06-25-2017 08:45 AM
    I realized the same. Sometimes I charge up the cellphone and put it idle by my side at night. When a wake up, the battery is about 80~75%.
    06-25-2017 10:02 AM
    If you leave the always on display on all day/night you're bound to drain the battery more,if not there's alot that can influence your usage (ie:number of accounts sync,apps disabled,apps running in the background etc) i've had absolutely no issues and yes my aod does drain the battery which is normal. There's basically alot that influences how your battery drains so if you want a precise answer you'd need to give more details (apps disabled,radio reception,usual usage etc) 2% by hour dosen't seem much to me at night though mine barely drains 1-2% when aod is off but i disabled alot of default apps like facebook and such, i don't use samsung's email app and i replaced other default apps like the dialer. If you want to check by yourself go into the battery stats and check what's draining it.
    06-25-2017 10:44 AM
    I have had an S8+ since launch and once I set it all up battery has been decent, it still though exhibits the steady drain on idle that I have seen with pretty much every Android I have owned, it is not horrendous but if for example I leave it on my desk at work on standby it will drain a good 2% an hour.

I picked up an LG G6 and have been blown away by the battery, none of the reviews mentioned anything remarkable but I have found it to be terrific and specifically even with the always on display it will barely drop at all when on standby/ idle. A little surprised given the supposed efficiency gains of the SD835 vs the 821.

I am wondering if this could be is hardware related e.g. the radio or is it just a by-product of the additional Samsung bloat vs. LG?
    I think it might be software related I'm not sure but you're right, I did this same exact test, left the G6 (3300 mah) and a S8 (small, 3000 mah) on idle (AOD an wifi off). The battery on the G6 is only 10% bigger but when the s8 died the G6 was still at 29%.

on the iPhone idle battery is even better but I use the phone a lot I've got the better "combined" battery life with the S8+,even in QHD all the time the battery life while the screen is on or using it is great
    neil74 likes this.
    06-25-2017 10:47 AM
    For me, I use the stock Device Maintenance/Battery App and make sure there is nothing in Unmonitored Apps and everything in Always Sleeping Apps.

With AOD in use, my battery drops about 2% overnight while I'm sleeping.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    06-25-2017 10:53 AM
    It is anecdotal but for sure if I leave my S8+ on my desk at work for a few hours unattended then it will have dropped 6-8% when I return to it. My iPhone 7+ and the G6 will either not drop at all or only 1%. Samsung phones do seem to use a noticeable amount of power when doing nothing at all.

I have just gone a little crazy using package disabler pro so will see if things improve. Used this thread https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...n-s7-edge.html as a guide. The phone feels slightly quicker so will be interested to see how it goes
    06-25-2017 11:48 AM
    Samsung phones are notorious for poor standby times compared to other flagships. But I can get through almost two days of light use with my S8+
    06-25-2017 11:53 AM
    Samsung phones are notorious for poor standby times compared to other flagships. But I can get through almost two days of light use with my S8+
    06-25-2017 12:08 PM
    It would help if they let you dial down the AOD brightness too.
    06-25-2017 04:03 PM

some reviewers actually have mentioned that the G6 handles the smaller battery and older chip better than the new s8+ combination. The battery on the G6 is phenomenal.
    nathdogg1985 likes this.
    06-26-2017 11:49 AM
    So my package disabler pro blitz has reaped some rewards, it is still not as good as the G6 but it definitely seems to drain slower now. There are still quite a few other packages that I have left so maybe there is scope to improve further
    06-26-2017 01:36 PM
    So my package disabler pro blitz has reaped some rewards, it is still not as good as the G6 but it definitely seems to drain slower now. There are still quite a few other packages that I have left so maybe there is scope to improve further
    what have you diabled?
    06-26-2017 02:01 PM
    I returned the s8 today because of the battery drain, i tried multiple solutions but still couldnt make it home with battery life left after all day at work , i dont plug in my iphone 7 till i go to bed at 10 pm so it easily lasts me all day with my usage ... i may get another one because I do enjoy using the phone
    06-26-2017 02:13 PM
    what have you diabled?
    Most of the items in the thread I linked above plus bixby, knox and some other stuff that PDP marked as pink.
    06-26-2017 03:46 PM
    I returned the s8 today because of the battery drain, i tried multiple solutions but still couldnt make it home with battery life left after all day at work , i dont plug in my iphone 7 till i go to bed at 10 pm so it easily lasts me all day with my usage ... i may get another one because I do enjoy using the phone
    Some pre-loaded apps are set to keep updating in the background by default. If you get the phone again, you might want to look into that. Some of them, e.g., Google Play Newsstand, can be a drain on the battery.
    06-26-2017 04:22 PM
    You do realize that 2% an hour is still 50 hours of standby time, right? That's not bad.
    neil74 likes this.
    06-26-2017 09:58 PM
    Most of the items in the thread I linked above plus bixby, knox and some other stuff that PDP marked as pink.
    There's no link as you mentioned!
    06-26-2017 10:14 PM
    On my G6, I don't lose any percentage overnight. I go to sleep at 100% and wake up at 100%. LG always does a tremendous job with their standby usage.
    nathdogg1985 likes this.
    06-27-2017 11:53 AM
    I agree, the G6 has great standby drain. I used to battle with my Galaxy S6 and battery drain. Yes I know the battery was small to start with, but it would burn through battery almost as quick in standby as it would with the screen on. I never did manage to work out why even after multiple factory resets etc.
    06-27-2017 12:41 PM
    IDK, I've been off the charger for 10 hours and my battery is showing 90% left even with some (very light) browsing, but with the wifi and a VPN running the whole time.

I think how people have their phones setup has a very big roll to play in the standby time they get.
    06-27-2017 03:18 PM