What can Samsung learn from Apple

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
We (as in all consumers) really do need this. The problem is unless all the major players (Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, etc.) seamlessly incorporate this 'counterpart' into their own texting solutions, it will never gain a significant market share. If Apple were to allow its proprietary iMessage protocol to be used in other services, or even if kept it so tightly curated and just offered compatible, pay-for iMessage apps to other platforms that would most likely kick off a huge move for iMessage to replace SMS/MMS as a new default. But Apple's business plan isn't about any kind of pseudo-open community so that's just not going to happen. A good example of of this texting mess is Google's RCS protocol -- it's a robust texting protocol that companies like Apple refuse to implement so basically it's just one more of the multiple, competing texting standards.

Wrong don't put everyone in the same boat i couldn't care less about imessage lmao and btw have you even tried smartswitch with another android ? Also apple and google are 2 companies they're not friends and they will most likely never be they're rivals just like android vs iphones , xbox vs ps4 and every other comparisons.On another note the apps you mentionned incorporate imessage on IPHONES because it's an apple feature not an android one. Again don't think everyone needs something that has no sense if you need that app that bad like i said above just get an iphone and stop saying random stuff that's not gonna happen ever. Texting is texting dosen't matter how you do it on android you have idk how many options to choose from you're bound to find something you like or like i said get an iphone seems those would fit your needs better by the looks of it......

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Actually texting does indeed matter, very much so. A lot of people mistakenly assume texting services are like email, it's all universally compatible. With email whether you're using the same service or a completely different one using a completely different device running a completely different operating system, email messages are sent and received seamlessly. With texting services, the only common standard is SMS and MMS but if you use iOS the default is iMessage, and closed, curated, proprietary protocol Apple refuses to allow other companies to use. SMS/MMS compatibility has to be enabled by the user and even then it's not seamless at all. Group texts in iMessage are an example of the problem. WhatsApp only has a good market share here in the U.S. but in some countries it has an overwhelming usage rate, with the WhatsApp protocol being the default and SMS/MMS support simply added in for compatibility. Add in the other, various texting protocols and the fact that the carriers refuse to work with each other all add up to texting being a very fractured form of communication. It doesn't matter in any way whether Apple or Google are 'friends', there are common standards different companies could agree upon that would make things much easier for consumers to not have to cope with all the unnecessary friction. Again, going back to be email, all the major players realized that isolating themselves with closed standards just didn't work out too well (if you are old enough, recall that there was time when different email services would only work within their own closed networks).
Regarding SmartSwitch, obviously you haven't tried using it to work in between different brands.

Wrong don't put everyone in the same boat i couldn't care less about imessage lmao and btw have you even tried smartswitch with another android ? Also apple and google are 2 companies they're not friends and they will most likely never be they're rivals just like android vs iphones , xbox vs ps4 and every other comparisons.On another note the apps you mentionned incorporate imessage on IPHONES because it's an apple feature not an android one. Again don't think everyone needs something that has no sense if you need that app that bad like i said above just get an iphone and stop saying random stuff that's not gonna happen ever. Texting is texting dosen't matter how you do it on android you have idk how many options to choose from you're bound to find something you like or like i said get an iphone seems those would fit your needs better by the looks of it......

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Actually texting does indeed matter, very much so. A lot of people mistakenly assume texting services are like email, it's all universally compatible. With email whether you're using the same service or a completely different one using a completely different device running a completely different operating system, email messages are sent and received seamlessly. With texting services, the only common standard is SMS and MMS but if you use iOS the default is iMessage, and closed, curated, proprietary protocol Apple refuses to allow other companies to use. SMS/MMS compatibility has to be enabled by the user and even then it's not seamless at all. Group texts in iMessage are an example of the problem. WhatsApp only has a good market share here in the U.S. but in some countries it has an overwhelming usage rate, with the WhatsApp protocol being the default and SMS/MMS support simply added in for compatibility. Add in the other, various texting protocols and the fact that the carriers refuse to work with each other all add up to texting being a very fractured form of communication. It doesn't matter in any way whether Apple or Google are 'friends', there are common standards different companies could agree upon that would make things much easier for consumers to not have to cope with all the unnecessary friction. Again, going back to be email, all the major players realized that isolating themselves with closed standards just didn't work out too well (if you are old enough, recall that there was time when different email services would only work within their own closed networks).
Regarding SmartSwitch, obviously you haven't tried using it to work in between different brands.

MOST users don't care about the technical stuff and i'm part of em if people want to spy on me txt my friends saying dumb things they can have fun i have no clue what's your point here but texting is texting it's might be sent via a protocol but idc about any technical stuff so i have no idea what you're talking about.....i just want my text to reach it's destination i don't need apple bs to send a message or a picture to people that was my point. If you absolutely need that thing like i said get an iphone as maybe android is not for you if you care about all that stuff.

Regarding smartswitch no i haven't that's why i was in fact asking if you had.
Nb:If i sound rude i'm sorry but saying everyone is in the same boat gets annoying real quick.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Eh if you're fine paying 1/15 the price of a motor vehicle for incremental spec bumps like up graded processors and cameras then more power to you.

That same snapdragon processor you're raving about now will be outdated this time next year. Meanwhile you'll still be paying those monthly installments on your device unless you bought it outright which I find few people do and most elect to finance through carriers especially if they upgrade frequently.

That laptop/PC will typically last much longer than a mobile device and the software is upgradable. I've had laptops and PC's I've used 6-7 years in the past. This device will get Android P and likely won't get any major updates after that and will be forgotten about for newer hardware.

I never said anything about mobile phone shouldn't be able to have different price ranges capabilities etc you did.

These mobile devices shouldn't be running anymore than about $600-$700 tops for the top of the line hardware models in my opinion. As long as the consumer is willing to pay more they'll keep charging more. I love Samsung products by the way, but I'm very objective. You really think it takes Samsung nearly a grand to manufacture each one of these devices. If so I have some ocean front property in Nebraska I'd like to sell you.

I absolutely give you the software argument. Android manufactures need to do a better job with long term support of the hardware they sell. Period. Full Stop.

The hardware argument is 100% wrong though. A PC is no more or less outdated compared to next year's models than a phone is. You buy a computer today and the hardware is out of date the next year too. And yes, there is a segment of the population that buys a $1500 computer every 2 years, and there's a segment of the population that buys a $500 computer every 6-7 years. Our phones are not all that much different in that regard. But I don't think for a second you can say "[anything] should cost no more than x" There are absolutely people who want and do pay more than what a lot of people would consider reasonable. There are also people who spend $100 and are happy. Why can't both markets exist?

And as for your last comment about how much it costs Samsung to make the phone, it isn't just the cost of the physical parts and constrution. in the cost of the device you're also paying for the software development and engineering, the marketing costs, the R&D on the new features on the device everything. If you think the cost of the phone you buy from Samsung is just the cost of physically assembling the piece of hardware I have a tropical island in Antarctica I'd like you to visit.

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Sticking to high end mobile devices and focusing all thier research and devolopment and support on these devices
Ofcourse this is against thier business vision and marketshare concerns but imagine if they did this they would burry apple's iphone even more

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely give you the software argument. Android manufactures need to do a better job with long term support of the hardware they sell. Period. Full Stop.

The hardware argument is 100% wrong though. A PC is no more or less outdated compared to next year's models than a phone is. You buy a computer today and the hardware is out of date the next year too. And yes, there is a segment of the population that buys a $1500 computer every 2 years, and there's a segment of the population that buys a $500 computer every 6-7 years. Our phones are not all that much different in that regard. But I don't think for a second you can say "[anything] should cost no more than x" There are absolutely people who want and do pay more than what a lot of people would consider reasonable. There are also people who spend $100 and are happy. Why can't both markets exist?

And as for your last comment about how much it costs Samsung to make the phone, it isn't just the cost of the physical parts and constrution. in the cost of the device you're also paying for the software development and engineering, the marketing costs, the R&D on the new features on the device everything. If you think the cost of the phone you buy from Samsung is just the cost of physically assembling the piece of hardware I have a tropical island in Antarctica I'd like you to visit.

Quick correction : we buy parts for our pcs (not counting laptops,just tower pcs) totally agree though gpus get "outdated" pretty quickly some buy the new "best thing" every time a new one comes out *cough cough Nvidia cough cough*

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Samsung could learn the value of making their own chipset and applying it to their flagships. Then optimize the hell out of the OS to that to make it run better.

Exynos all the S9, throw in an more optimized ROM,call it a day.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung could learn the value of making their own chipset and applying it to their flagships. Then optimize the hell out of the OS to that to make it run better.

Exynos all the S9, throw in an more optimized ROM,call it a day.
They already make their own chips as you said yourself(exynos) and have come a very long way with their UI. I've used multiple samsung phones over the years (s3, note1, 2,3,4,5,s6 edge) and i've seen them evolved quite a bit. I don't remember the exact details but i remember there's a reason they can't use their chipset in the us/canada (something about qualcom stopping them from importing or something).

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to love Samsung, but they make it hard anymore. While I have a lot of big issues with apple they do a few things really well.

imessages. Yes, it's not popular outside of apple, no duh. I'm fairly sure Samsung internet isn't popular outside of Samsung, does not mean it's not a great app. imessages is the default and apple owners use it because it is a great messenger. Sure, there is a dozen other good messengers but none fall back to sms if there is not data. no data, no whatsapp. Samsung would put themselves ahead of the game by making a good competitor with RMS, and make it look good.

Good looking apps, Samsung apps are just ugly. Apple hires professional designers.

Customer service. Apple cs used to be a total joke, it sucked. If you could even get through to an agent, this was before apple stores, they would just tell you to ask the forums, which were barely monitored by apple agents. Samsung now has well known bad customer service and apples is excellent.

Updates. Apple is well known to have excellent updating their products, mac pro not withstanding. While outside of Google made phones no one in the Android ecosystem is very good and Sammy is just bad, ask anyone with an unlocked S7...

Ignore carriers. Samsung needs to force push updates through and tell the carriers to shove it. They make great phones and we can download those useless verizon apps if we want, which we don't.

Memory usage. Samsung SUCKS at this. Nothing I love more than opening youtube, sending it to my chromecast, 5 minutes later being forced to reopen and reconnect to youtube/netflix etc because the aggressive app management.

Fighting Google. Stop it, just knock it off. outside of Calendar and internet they are not very good. For the most part Google apps work as good or better on iphones, while samsung does what they can to not use them. Assistant doesn't work if the screen is off, plus it doesn't do a good job of recognizing it when it is on. Messages is ok but Gmessages looks better. Notes is just ok but keep is far superior as it's cross platform.

Fingerprint sensor. Samsung FPS works but is not very good, even compared to other androids. Moto is far better, pixel, opo, iphones are easier to use. They lockscreen is garbage on the samsung and how they integrate the fps. The location on the S8 it not good, plus it is fairly picky.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They already make their own chips as you said yourself(exynos) and have come a very long way with their UI. I've used multiple samsung phones over the years (s3, note1, 2,3,4,5,s6 edge) and i've seen them evolved quite a bit. I don't remember the exact details but i remember there's a reason they can't use their chipset in the us/canada (something about qualcom stopping them from importing or something).

It's all about the CDMA. That's also why we don't see more phones with Exynos. Samsung claims Qualcomm is refusing to license their patents to Exynos chips in non-Samsung phones.

I know they make them, I also know they're using inferior QComm chips in the US because some company can't compete and instead relies on patents.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used to love Samsung, but they make it hard anymore. While I have a lot of big issues with apple they do a few things really well.

imessages. Yes, it's not popular outside of apple, no duh. I'm fairly sure Samsung internet isn't popular outside of Samsung, does not mean it's not a great app. imessages is the default and apple owners use it because it is a great messenger. Sure, there is a dozen other good messengers but none fall back to sms if there is not data. no data, no whatsapp. Samsung would put themselves ahead of the game by making a good competitor with RMS, and make it look good.

Good looking apps, Samsung apps are just ugly. Apple hires professional designers.

Customer service. Apple cs used to be a total joke, it sucked. If you could even get through to an agent, this was before apple stores, they would just tell you to ask the forums, which were barely monitored by apple agents. Samsung now has well known bad customer service and apples is excellent.

Updates. Apple is well known to have excellent updating their products, mac pro not withstanding. While outside of Google made phones no one in the Android ecosystem is very good and Sammy is just bad, ask anyone with an unlocked S7...

Ignore carriers. Samsung needs to force push updates through and tell the carriers to shove it. They make great phones and we can download those useless verizon apps if we want, which we don't.

Memory usage. Samsung SUCKS at this. Nothing I love more than opening youtube, sending it to my chromecast, 5 minutes later being forced to reopen and reconnect to youtube/netflix etc because the aggressive app management.

Fighting Google. Stop it, just knock it off. outside of Calendar and internet they are not very good. For the most part Google apps work as good or better on iphones, while samsung does what they can to not use them. Assistant doesn't work if the screen is off, plus it doesn't do a good job of recognizing it when it is on. Messages is ok but Gmessages looks better. Notes is just ok but keep is far superior as it's cross platform.

Fingerprint sensor. Samsung FPS works but is not very good, even compared to other androids. Moto is far better, pixel, opo, iphones are easier to use. They lockscreen is garbage on the samsung and how they integrate the fps. The location on the S8 it not good, plus it is fairly picky.
Customer service and updates Apple stomps Samsung to the ground. Samsung's customer service is horrible, I think its the worst I have ever seen from a company.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Quick correction : we buy parts for our pcs (not counting laptops,just tower pcs) totally agree though gpus get "outdated" pretty quickly some buy the new "best thing" every time a new one comes out *cough cough Nvidia cough cough*

This isn't true of the vast majority of the population. The number of self built PC's compared to the number of PC's sold (off the shelf desktop and laptop) likely isn't a statistically significant number.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
This isn't true of the vast majority of the population. The number of self built PC's compared to the number of PC's sold (off the shelf desktop and laptop) likely isn't a statistically significant number.

It's the same as phones not everyone upgrades every year or everytime something new comes out just like not everyone uprades their pc when new parts come out to make yours "outdated" and people that buy whole new pcs do so after years not 1-2 (unless you're that dumb and wish to pay crappy premade pc each 2-3 years) but i won't get into that since it's a phone forums so overall at the end of the road both are the same just so happens one's smaller than the other.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

I don't know of a single phone that doesn't have sms/mms enabled out of the box. In fact I have never had to go into any phone and enable either of them ever.

In fact I have never had an issue texting anyone who is on different carrier. I really don't see where you are going with this. There isn't some giant glaring issue where me being in sprint can't text someone on ATT.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Once again in an effort to beat the iPhone to the market, because Samsung is terrified of the prospect of going head to head with the Apple juggernaut, Samsung rushes the release of a device full of glitches and compromises. The lessons of the Note 7 weren't learned. The market has spoken. People want a fluid, reliable user experience. Apple punishes Samsung annually because Apple gets it. Samsung doesn't.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Once again in an effort to beat the iPhone to the market, because Samsung is terrified of the prospect of going head to head with the Apple juggernaut, Samsung rushes the release of a device full of glitches and compromises. The lessons of the Note 7 weren't learned. The market has spoken. People want a fluid, reliable user experience. Apple punishes Samsung annually because Apple gets it. Samsung doesn't.

Wait...Samsung was in a rush to beat Apple to the market in April? lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital