What can Samsung learn from Apple

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Better app management. Having features ready especially if there is hardware dedicated to its functionality for when new models are sold.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Imo bloatware kinda gets annoying to have to disable a bunch of useless bloatware everytime you get a new phone but that's not exclusive to samsung either.
Rest of mostly google to have a smoother experience imo android came a long way since it's first phone but it needs better management on battery life and fluidity

won't quote everyone here but Imho imessage is useless get google duo does about the same,backup i never use every new phone i get is setup as new and lolz at the bigger bezels XD

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
support devices for a longer time. reduce the number of versions and co concentrate on just two or three versions. force carriers not to remove features (verizon) for inferior and expensive carrier service. no carrier bloat. all non Android version apps should not be duplicated with uninstallable versions from carrier or Samsung.
how about a great "Apple Care" like servce.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Put a cap on how much these devices cost there is no reason these devices should be costing as much or many times exceeding the cost of laptops and PC's with significantly less hardware. Apple is guilty of this too, but they do have phenomenal customer service and they support their newer software running on older hardware for a long time. That brings me to my next point.

If you're going to charge from $850 to over a grand or so when you include taxes for a device then push updates to it the next 3-4 years. Don't charge that kinda dough for hardware that's really made to be upgraded every 18-24 months.

I'd like an imessage alternative but I don't think it's going to ever happen on Android due to its open sourced nature and Google not wanting to "force" it on its users. Also imessage and SMS/MMS really aren't that popular outside the states so there is also no incentive. Apps like Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Telegram, etc are much more popular in other places.

Samsung could offer better customer service as well. Note 7 users should have been given a $100 credit or given their next Samsung device half off.

EthanStark

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
This is why Samsung made its fatal error. Ignoring the need to rigorously test everything about a new product it rushed it to market too fast in order to compete with Apple for media attention (not for the first time). “Look at us, look at us,” it said, “We do innovation. We were first.” But first doesn’t matter. Best is what matters. Marketing is meaningless if the people who invest in your product are disappointed. While good doesn’t appear to be triumphing over evil on planet Earth right now, good products still have some chance to shine. These are made through a combination of rigor, attention to detail, and a focus on what works, rather than on what will create the most media attention.

Ethan Stark
http://https://www.clouddesktoponline.com/

Last edited:

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Put a cap on how much these devices cost there is no reason these devices should be costing as much or many times exceeding the cost of laptops and PC's with significantly less hardware. Apple is guilty of this too, but they do have phenomenal customer service and they support their newer software running on older hardware for a long time. That brings me to my next point.

If you're going to charge from $850 to over a grand or so when you include taxes for a device then push updates to it the next 3-4 years. Don't charge that kinda dough for hardware that's really made to be upgraded every 18-24 months.

I'd like an imessage alternative but I don't think it's going to ever happen on Android due to its open sourced nature and Google not wanting to "force" it on its users. Also imessage and SMS/MMS really aren't that popular outside the states so there is also no incentive. Apps like Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Telegram, etc are much more popular in other places.

Samsung could offer better customer service as well. Note 7 users should have been given a $100 credit or given their next Samsung device half off.

I could not disagree with this point more. A Snapdragon 835 is a very powerful SoC and is actually a better/more efficient part than an equivalent x86 processor. Later this year there will be laptops running Windows 10 with Snapdragon 835's in them. It is plenty powerful and not "less" hardware than what we see in PC's today. It simply isn't.

I'm also not sure why you think high end components on a device shouldn't be reflected in the cost of a device. Laptops can very in price anywhere from $200 to $2000. Why can't mobile phones also have different models with different price ranges, quality and capabilities?

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I could not disagree with this point more. A Snapdragon 835 is a very powerful SoC and is actually a better/more efficient part than an equivalent x86 processor. Later this year there will be laptops running Windows 10 with Snapdragon 835's in them. It is plenty powerful and not "less" hardware than what we see in PC's today. It simply isn't.

I'm also not sure why you think high end components on a device shouldn't be reflected in the cost of a device. Laptops can very in price anywhere from $200 to $2000. Why can't mobile phones also have different models with different price ranges, quality and capabilities?

I'd also point out that imessage is unpopular outside of Ios. I've been with android forever and never cared about that feature if i need to call someone over wifi most of my folks have skype which to me works very well,also the point of google not forcing anything down our throat is the whole point of android ie : CHOICES i'd hate paying that kind of money for a device i can't change nothing but wallpapers and keyboards it's just too boring i want mine to be unique and to feel like it not look just like everyone's phones. I'm also pretty sure most people upgrade after their 2 years contract is up (didn't say everyone so don't think i did). Apple also supports more devices for longer since as everyone knows : they make their own UI,hardware,software and everything is controlled by them sure some could argue android skins are crap but i plainly hate stock android as imo it's too plain boring. If i'm to pay the kind of money you said i'd rather have choices and options not being locked in what i can do with my phone i paid for.

TLDR just get an iphone if you're gonna complain so much about android lol
NB:not directed towards you i know i'm not quoting the good person just felt like adding my 2 cents in the mix ahah

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My one thing I would like to see is better back up and restore, Apple is good here.

Yes, yes, yes. Samsung does have its really good SmartSwitch but it's limited to Samsung devices. Open it up to Android devices in general would be great. Make it completely automatic (most people just won't do manual backups even when a fully featured backup solution is set up for them), platform agnostic and/or securely cloud-based, and it would be even greater.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
A viable counter part to iMessage. That's the only thing apple does right.

We (as in all consumers) really do need this. The problem is unless all the major players (Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, etc.) seamlessly incorporate this 'counterpart' into their own texting solutions, it will never gain a significant market share. If Apple were to allow its proprietary iMessage protocol to be used in other services, or even if kept it so tightly curated and just offered compatible, pay-for iMessage apps to other platforms that would most likely kick off a huge move for iMessage to replace SMS/MMS as a new default. But Apple's business plan isn't about any kind of pseudo-open community so that's just not going to happen. A good example of of this texting mess is Google's RCS protocol -- it's a robust texting protocol that companies like Apple refuse to implement so basically it's just one more of the multiple, competing texting standards.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Eh if you're fine paying 1/15 the price of a motor vehicle for incremental spec bumps like up graded processors and cameras then more power to you.

That same snapdragon processor you're raving about now will be outdated this time next year. Meanwhile you'll still be paying those monthly installments on your device unless you bought it outright which I find few people do and most elect to finance through carriers especially if they upgrade frequently.

That laptop/PC will typically last much longer than a mobile device and the software is upgradable. I've had laptops and PC's I've used 6-7 years in the past. This device will get Android P and likely won't get any major updates after that and will be forgotten about for newer hardware.

I never said anything about mobile phone shouldn't be able to have different price ranges capabilities etc you did.

These mobile devices shouldn't be running anymore than about $600-$700 tops for the top of the line hardware models in my opinion. As long as the consumer is willing to pay more they'll keep charging more. I love Samsung products by the way, but I'm very objective. You really think it takes Samsung nearly a grand to manufacture each one of these devices. If so I have some ocean front property in Nebraska I'd like to sell you.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Everyone says carrier bloat needs to go away. Well just buy unlocked problem solved. Secondly carrier bloat is not determined by the manufacturer of the phone. It's determined by your carrier. Which falls directly on to Google, because Android is open source. They just provide the base code for it. Samsung can't restrict what they don't own a license for.

The only way for carrier bloat to go away is if Google sets new guidelines and restrictions on Android. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Everyone says carrier bloat needs to go away. Well just buy unlocked problem solved. Secondly carrier bloat is not determined by the manufacturer of the phone. It's determined by your carrier. Which falls directly on to Google, because Android is open source. They just provide the base code for it. Samsung can't restrict what they don't own a license for.

The only way for carrier bloat to go away is if Google sets new guidelines and restrictions on Android. That's not going to happen anytime soon.
I've been back and forth to Apple and Samsung last few years. I like the way iphone messaging (be it an sms or iMessage) has handled notification customization. Samsung has lacked some of that.

Only feature iMessage got me was the ability to see delivered and read messages. This feature I only cared about from my kids. I never stress receipts to anyone non family because it was none of their business if I read it. He'll I hated some people knowing it had been delivered.

I am in search of messaging apps with the s8. My VzW phone has that Verzion Messages and that this is sluggish at best.