Keep haptic feedback ON in DND mode on Galaxy s8?

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed on my Galaxy s8 that when I have DND turned on which is often for me, haptic feedback is off and there doesn't seem to be a way to leave it on with DND on?

I don't want sounds with DND, but I DO WANT haptic feedback to remain on. I suspect it has something to do with virbation in general and I'm fine with leaving vibrations on too when DND is on.

Anyone know how to do this?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I think you're trying to accomplish the wrong thing with using DND.

DND is literally Do Not Disturb. That means it is *supposed* to shut off all notifications so you're not disturbed.

What you want to do is to shut the ringer off and keep vibrate on. This is *not* DND. The quickest ways to do that are to either hold the volume button down until the ringer is a zero and you feel the phone vibrate, or in the quick settings tapping the ringer icon cycles between ring, vibrate, and silent.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can set conditions for DND, what to allow, etc. Have you explored those? Not sure, if you want DND, what you want to be notified of by haptic? Will just going to vibrate for the phone not work?

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Easy:turn off dnd turn off notification sounds. That's all....

Like wunderbar above said : it's called Do Not Disturb for a reason allowing haptic feedback would be contradictory,although if you allow favorite contacts i think they do ring/vibrate but i'm not sure as i'm sleeping when that happens.

In other words if you want viration and no sound,turn off the notification sound and you'll still have haptic feedback when texted or called. Otherwise it's a no no

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
@mcdonsco, when you turn on DND, allow alarms. This will also leave haptic feedback enabled. Ex. you'll feel haptic feedback when you use the keyboard.

I understand why others claim that the proper use case for DND is not to prevent haptic feedback, but many people use DND mostly as a sort of "night mode," to prevent our phones from waking us with calls, texts, Twitter notifications, etc. while we're asleep. If that's why you're using DND, then this would work perfectly for you, since the only thing that'll wake you up is the alarm that you set for presumably that very purpose.

One thing that has annoyed me since the Note5 (possibly even Note4, I don't remember exactly) is the inability to suppress the LED while I was asleep. For a couple years' worth of Samsung phones I had to manually turn off the LED when I went to bed, otherwise it would flash and keep me awake if my phone so much as updated the weather app. With Samsung's version of Android Nougat, DND mode once again has the ability to stop notifications from triggering the LED. Unfortunately, the LED still stays lit with a red glow when the phone is charging, and eventually switches to green when its charging cycle is complete. But at long last, I'm once again not disturbed by an annoying flashing light at night. Now if only they could get that pesky wireless charging LED to turn off too!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@mcdonsco, when you turn on DND, allow alarms. This will also leave haptic feedback enabled. Ex. you'll feel haptic feedback when you use the keyboard.

I understand why others claim that the proper use case for DND is not to prevent haptic feedback, but many people use DND mostly as a sort of "night mode," to prevent our phones from waking us with calls, texts, Twitter notifications, etc. while we're asleep. If that's why you're using DND, then this would work perfectly for you, since the only thing that'll wake you up is the alarm that you set for presumably that very purpose.

One thing that has annoyed me since the Note5 (possibly even Note4, I don't remember exactly) is the inability to suppress the LED while I was asleep. For a couple years' worth of Samsung phones I had to manually turn off the LED when I went to bed, otherwise it would flash and keep me awake if my phone so much as updated the weather app. With Samsung's version of Android Nougat, DND mode once again has the ability to stop notifications from triggering the LED. Unfortunately, the LED still stays lit with a red glow when the phone is charging, and eventually switches to green when its charging cycle is complete. But at long last, I'm once again not disturbed by an annoying flashing light at night. Now if only they could get that pesky wireless charging LED to turn off too!

This is not what the OP was asking for. In this situation the phone will provide haptic feedback will still work for input, but on notifications it will not vibrate.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
This is not what the OP was asking for. In this situation the phone will provide haptic feedback will still work for input, but on notifications it will not vibrate.

Actually haptic feedback refers to vibrational response to touch input. Vibration from notifications is not what is generally meant by haptic feedback. I'm sure there are many slightly varied definitions out there, but here's one:

What is haptic feedback? - Definition

Basically the idea is to simulate a physical button. I'm guessing this is what the OP wants when turning on DND.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
In my DND mode setting, I have set it to Custom profile and have the haptic feedback on the home buttons. If I choose No Exceptions then I don't get the haptic feedback.

anon(10709699)

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
I've noticed on my Galaxy s8 that when I have DND turned on which is often for me, haptic feedback is off and there doesn't seem to be a way to leave it on with DND on?

I don't want sounds with DND, but I DO WANT haptic feedback to remain on. I suspect it has something to do with vibration in general and I'm fine with leaving vibrations on too when DND is on.

Anyone know how to do this?

SOLVED:
I'm strictly talking about Samsung OneUI 2.5 which worked for me.
When you are already in DND mode: Settings->Do not Disturb->Allow Exceptions->Turn On 'Media Sound' THAT'S ALL! Haptics working again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia