iPhone 7 Plus vs. S8?

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey all. I think I'm going to buy an S8 +and I have an iPhone 7plus currently. I'm thinking of keeping both but I will probably whittle it down to one. If you have the S8+ what do you like about it? If you've had both iPhone and S8+, is the S8+ very innovative or would it be on par with the iphone (I think Apple is lacking innovation right now). Also is the screen to body ratio great? Finally what about battery life and is the size really slimmer even than the iPhone 7 plus?

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I came from a 7 Plus and switched to an S8+ in April. What I love about it? The overall dimensions are better on my hand. Love the customizability of Android. What I don't like? Battery life isn't as good as the 7 Plus but it does last me the day.

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my iPhone after having my s8 plus, simple as that. You either like one or the other no reason for both other then keeping up with the Jones's which at my age is irrelevant to me. Some love iOS others love android, android to me is much more advanced imo

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
I've switched from the plus side of iOS because I believed that being tied to one system wasn't fair in the current consumer market with many options.

I like the fact that the S8 Plus feels easier to hold, and Android seems nice as an OS (the screen is a benefit) and to me the battery life is better on this side of things; I believe apple innovates, they just take really long as they like to ensure what they bring to public works flawlessly.

If the anniversary devices really has a wow factor, I may return, but I think I'm ok on this side for now.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Same here came from the Apple 7 Plus and I will never look back. The Galaxy S8 Plus is a far superior device even with me heavily in the apple eco system. The S8 Plus is awesome device with a gorgeous screen and spot on camera. If you are hooked on Apple you may not like the galaxy not me it was a easy switch.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's my take:

The iP7+ has better build materials, a better design in general (if you like a flat 16:9 display), a more accurate display, better battery life, better security out of the box and with updates, more storage options, will retain it's value better and will be updated and supported longer.

The S8+ has advantages with a larger, higher resolution AMOLED display, no longer has the FPS wasting space on the front of the device, a better camera, seems to be better ergonomically, has a slightly higher water resistance rating, wireless charging, higher base storage and with various deals, is substantially cheaper.

Really depends on what features are more important to each person, I'd be pretty split between the two, but the security and update support are pretty huge issues to me, so I might lean more towards the iP7+ than the S8+, but in June 2017, there's no way I'd spend money on an iP7+ today - we're only 3 months away from the beginning of our final round of devices.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Here's my take:

The iP7+ has better build materials, a better design in general (if you like a flat 16:9 display), a more accurate display, better battery life, better security out of the box and with updates, more storage options, will retain it's value better and will be updated and supported longer.

The S8+ has advantages with a larger, higher resolution AMOLED display, no longer has the FPS wasting space on the front of the device, a better camera, seems to be better ergonomically, has a slightly higher water resistance rating, wireless charging, higher base storage and with various deals, is substantially cheaper.

Really depends on what features are more important to each person, I'd be pretty split between the two, but the security and update support are pretty huge issues to me, so I might lean more towards the iP7+ than the S8+, but in June 2017, there's no way I'd spend money on an iP7+ today - we're only 3 months away from the beginning of our final round of devices.

Although i agree and glad to see people dumping their iphones the storage options aren't true reason is simple : micro sd card slot which apple will most likely never incorporate in their phones you can add a 128GB card in your already 64 GB phone which is pretty close to the highest apple offers (256Gb if i'm not mistaken) you could probably add a bigger one but i don't really use one so idk what's the options size wise.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Although i agree and glad to see people dumping their iphones the storage options aren't true reason is simple : micro sd card slot which apple will most likely never incorporate in their phones you can add a 128GB card in your already 64 GB phone which is pretty close to the highest apple offers (256Gb if i'm not mistaken) you could probably add a bigger one but i don't really use one so idk what's the options size wise.

Yeah I'm one of the weird ducks that counts MicroSD slots in a phone as a negative unless it's a budget device.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm one of the weird ducks that counts MicroSD slots in a phone as a negative unless it's a budget device.

Well everyone has their opinions on that one after all but i don't get how/why it's a negative outside of budget devices ?...... I mean i don't use the slot but i like having the option to use it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well everyone has their opinions on that one after all but i don't get how/why it's a negative outside of budget devices ?...... I mean i don't use the slot but i like having the option to use it.

So far it's always been an either or scenario - we either get sufficient internal storage, or we get not enough and a card slot to offset the deficiency. SD cards are objectively inferior to proper internal storage, from a performance standpoint, as well as security and stability. If the option was 128 or 256 GB internal + a card slot, then the card slot would not be a detraction. But if the option is 32 GB + a card or 64 + a card, then both the consumer and the OEM are shortchanging the device and while, if they agree to that good for them - for me that's a nonsense choice to have to make. The OEMs can afford to eat the $8 per device hit to provide proper storage - especially when that OEM is the manufacturer of said storage.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
So far it's always been an either or scenario - we either get sufficient internal storage, or we get not enough and a card slot to offset the deficiency. SD cards are objectively inferior to proper internal storage, from a performance standpoint, as well as security and stability. If the option was 128 or 256 GB internal + a card slot, then the card slot would not be a detraction. But if the option is 32 GB + a card or 64 + a card, then both the consumer and the OEM are shortchanging the device and while, if they agree to that good for them - for me that's a nonsense choice to have to make. The OEMs can afford to eat the $8 per device hit to provide proper storage - especially when that OEM is the manufacturer of said storage.

Sorry for language 0.0 but Holy ****

That's the best critism wit the best argument i've seen yet and i can't disagree on that one.
(personally i don't use that much storage anyway mostly a cloud/streaming person)so i don't mind... Gg sir!

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
For me hugh difference in holding the iPhone 7+ versus Galaxy S8+. The former feels like a brick while the latter seems to feel like an extension of my hand.

Last edited:

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
for me it was about customizing and expandable memory... two things Apple will NEVER offer users because they tell people what they want. And jailbreaking an iPhone just turns it into an android anyways.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You are asking this in a S8 forum so you know the response will be biased in favor of S8. But depends on what your priorities are, S8 is an amazing future looking phone but honestly personally it's not the smoothest best performing buttery smooth phone. I have multiple phones and most of them are more buttery smooth than S8. You can probably wait till September for next iPhone which will be similar to S8 with minimal bezels etc. If you want to go for S8 know that the UI is not the greatest performing. But there are also people who can't/don't see that which is perfectly legit and if you are in that camp then S8 is a great option filled with features.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from a 7 Plus and switched to an S8+ in April. What I love about it? The overall dimensions are better on my hand. Love the customizability of Android. What I don't like? Battery life isn't as good as the 7 Plus but it does last me the day.

well thats not good, i thought the S8+ battery lasted longer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781