iPhone 7 Plus vs. S8?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the S8+ and sold my iPhone 7 Plus to get this. I will never go back to an iPhone

(until the iPhone 8 comes out :) but I'll keep my S8+)

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone 8 could be covered in sapphire glass, have a 10,000mah battery, priced at $500 and come with lifetime Applecare+ and I still wouldnt go back.

Until they seriously upgrade iOS and change the look and functionality of it, I have no interest anymore. Its still based off a 2007 design. Even with iOS 11, there is zero innovation, no ability to layout the home screen how you'd like, change those dated icons or any customization what so ever. The only thing that differentiates one iPhone to another is the wallpaper.

The looks of a phone mean very little when the use and functionality is 10 years old.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's really unfair to compare iPhone 7+ to s8+.

It should be a battle between s8+ and iPhone 8. As they both look sexy.
https://youtu.be/pW1gx086ZxU
You can't compare a phone that exists with a phone that isn't out for at least another 3 months. The iPhone and Galaxy devices are updated at two different times of year. There will always be a challenge to comparing them. One will always be 6 months older than the other. You have to compare devices that actually exist at the time.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
the iPhone is the same phone it was two or three phones before.. minus the dual lens camera and the limited water resistance. other than that not much has changed.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The thing I miss about my iPhone 7 Plus is that if something happened to it, I could bring it to an Apple Store and they'd take care of me. If something happens to my S8, I'd either have to go to my carrier to get it fixed (they'd do nothing for it, TBH, so I'd be wasting my time) or send it in for an insurance trade-in and get a refurbished replacement phone. Both of those options are not ideal.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
The thing I miss about my iPhone 7 Plus is that if something happened to it, I could bring it to an Apple Store and they'd take care of me. If something happens to my S8, I'd either have to go to my carrier to get it fixed (they'd do nothing for it, TBH, so I'd be wasting my time) or send it in for an insurance trade-in and get a refurbished replacement phone. Both of those options are not ideal.
Apple does have great customer service in their stores.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
That's what best buy is for here in the states they usually have a Samsung rep in the store and will help you with whatever you need. I don't have an Apple store near me... the closest is about and hour and a half away either way.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
That's what best buy is for here in the states they usually have a Samsung rep in the store and will help you with whatever you need. I don't have an Apple store near me... the closest is about and hour and a half away either way.
The Samsung store within Best Buy doesn't come close to the service you get in an Apple store. Not hatin' on Samsung, it's just not the same.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The Samsung store within Best Buy doesn't come close to the service you get in an Apple store. Not hatin' on Samsung, it's just not the same.
Been using Samsung phones for years. Never had to get to any of these Samsung best buy stores for any help. Been there thousands of time just to play with devices, dont need anything more than that.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Been using Samsung phones for years. Never had to get to any of these Samsung best buy stores for any help. Been there thousands of time just to play with devices, dont need anything more than that.
So since you don't need anything more good customer service isn't important? You do realize that we're all revolving around the Sun, right??

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
There is a Samsung experience shop not far away, I took my S7 there and got it back next day.
There is no right side in this discussion, it depends on your own preferences entirely. They are both excellent devices. Perhaps I'd be a little influenced by what backup you have near by if the phone breaks...

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

So since you don't need anything more good customer service isn't important? You do realize that we're all revolving around the Sun, right??
Not what I meant. I am sure others needed customer service and it's with out a doubt needed. I was simply sharing my experience with Samsung phones which is not a reflection of anyone else's experience. But a good customer experience does not need a fancy store like Apple stores to thrive. Saying it differently, I fancy store doesn't guarantee top notch customer service :)

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just (1 1/2 weeks ago) got a iPhone 7 Plus. This is my first ever iPhone after having Andoids for a zillion years. I just had a S8 and gave that to my gf. So here's my take on them.
The S8 is a beautiful phone, however I've never liked liked amoled screens and their blown out colors. Also amoled screens , to me, look "flat" like everything is painted right on the screen surface. LED screens, to me, have a little bit of a "3D" look to them, like they have some depth.
The S8 is Samsungs fastest phone that I've had (had s4,s5, s6, s7e and S8).
I'm not particularly a fan of the curve screens. Palm rejection seems better on the S8 than the S7E as is the battery life.
The iPhone 7 Plus is also a great looking for with perfect craftmanship. The screen display is the best, for me, of any phone that I've ever had. The display supports sRGB and DCI-P3 and iOS has a color management system whereas Android does not.
The 7 Plus is warm butter smooth and (to me all this post is imho of course) iOS just feels much more consistent to me. Android now feels like so many pieces just kind of screwed together.
The main reason I got the 7 Plus is for the camera. This simply (remember imho) is the best camera in any phone that over ever had. Just even with the native camera app the jpgs are very, very good. No crazy oversharping like most other phones do these days.
So this switch for me has been the best chenge I've ever done. On a phone, the camera is the number one consideration for me and this phone, so far, has simply amazed me.
Battery life easily gets me through a day with plenty left at night still. Again, better than any phone I've had before, even the S8.
I just got another update a few days after I got the phone so I don't know how much that contributed to the overall phone and camera usage.

mpshah

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time iOS user and every year I buy the latest Samsung flag ship just to see what's new and if it can pull me away from the iOS ecosystem. It failed every year but this time around things are different. The S8 is just a phenomenal device to hold and adore.
Ever since I've got the S8 I have kept on switching back n forth with the iPhone 7 plus and one of the main reasons that takes me back to iOS is the overall UI experience. Android still has some work to do in that space and to me as a user that is very very important.

Just my 0.02.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
iPhones are the same thing year after year... even with iOS updates it's the same phone. Apple hasn't been innovative in YEARS, they take what android has done and they refine it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze