07-02-2017 09:28 PM
61 123
tools
    Wait till Bixby tracks your every geographic location and then sends you ads based on it and who knows who else will gain that information of where you go everyday.
    Also all your internet activities are documented
    Like Google already does... < I haven't gone through the pages if this thread yet but I would guess someone has already responded with this.>
    06-28-2017 09:12 AM
    I removed everything from package disabler to play with Bixby again and see if I could use it for something and all I get is "please try again later". I'm trying to give this a fair shot but they are making it really hard.

06-28-2017 04:28 PM
    I removed everything from package disabler to play with Bixby again and see if I could use it for something and all I get is "please try again later". I'm trying to give this a fair shot but they are making it really hard.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e692d9cc09.jpg
    Been getting that for much of the day. It's intermittent though. Just twenty minutes ago I tried Bixby and got the same message as you. Moments ago I tried it again and it worked. Probably a problem with Samsung's servers. Still, they are not inspiring confidence!
    06-28-2017 05:42 PM
    Been getting that for much of the day. It's intermittent though. Just twenty minutes ago I tried Bixby and got the same message as you. Moments ago I tried it again and it worked. Probably a problem with Samsung's servers. Still, they are not inspiring confidence!
    The thing I don't like about that is I asked it to turn off bluetooth. Imo these functions should be built into the app and not require internet access. Had I said "how's the weather" then I'd expect that but commanding a system function shouldn't require internet.

Needless to say I disabled it all again.
    06-28-2017 05:44 PM
    The thing I don't like about that is I asked it to turn off bluetooth. Imo these functions should be built into the app and not require internet access. Had I said "how's the weather" then I'd expect that but commanding a system function shouldn't require internet.

Needless to say I disabled it all again.
    Yeah, I knew all voice assistants did a lot of their processing on remote servers, but basic, local voice functionality was possible even on my flip phone from a decade ago. One wonders how a company that makes such great hardware can fail so miserably at software.
    06-28-2017 10:30 PM
    It was a server side issue. Samsung was aware of it and as of yesterday, it seems to have been fixed.
    07-02-2017 05:58 AM
    It was a server side issue. Samsung was aware of it and as of yesterday, it seems to have been fixed.
    Yeah it's been working for me too the last couple days without any issues.
    07-02-2017 09:45 AM
    Played out I know, but, is there anyone on this planet who can come up with a time frame that Bixby will leave Beta and move to all users? I really want to like this phone but to be honest, Bixby was the selling point to make me upgrade before the Note 8.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    07-02-2017 09:54 AM
    Played out I know, but, is there anyone on this planet who can come up with a time frame that Bixby will leave Beta and move to all users? I really want to like this phone but to be honest, Bixby was the selling point to make me upgrade before the Note 8.
    Ironically, I have my Google Now feed sending me news about Bixby. Nothing so far about a firm release date. So much for "later this spring."

I guess I feel fairly pacified though. Bixby's beta is mostly functional, so I'm happy with it for the most part. There are some annoying bugs. For example, when I say "open Instagram and search for <multi-word search query>" it only searches for the first word in my query. But with Twitter, the analogous phrase works just fine. It would be nice if they fix this stuff, and I guess their beta is the crowd-sourcing solution for stuff like this.

Samsung isn't very good about holding to its promises. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Note 8 is out before the release version of Bixby Voice. But I'm one of those sucker's who'll happily trade in his S8+ for a Note 8. Guess I'm part of the problem.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    07-02-2017 01:45 PM
    Ironically, I have my Google Now feed sending me news about Bixby. Nothing so far about a firm release date. So much for "later this spring."

I guess I feel fairly pacified though. Bixby's beta is mostly functional, so I'm happy with it for the most part. There are some annoying bugs. For example, when I say "open Instagram and search for <multi-word search query>" it only searches for the first word in my query. But with Twitter, the analogous phrase works just fine. It would be nice if they fix this stuff, and I guess their beta is the crowd-sourcing solution for stuff like this.

Samsung isn't very good about holding to its promises. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Note 8 is out before the release version of Bixby Voice. But I'm one of those sucker's who'll happily trade in his S8+ for a Note 8. Guess I'm part of the problem.
    No you're not the problem. Samsung is Samsung. Most of us know what we're getting into well in advance, and have decided the benefits outweigh the quirks. If that ever changes, there are plenty other options.
    07-02-2017 02:11 PM
    No you're not the problem. Samsung is Samsung. Most of us know what we're getting into well in advance, and have decided the benefits outweigh the quirks. If that ever changes, there are plenty other options.
    Yeah, "benefits outweigh the quirks" pretty much sums it up. My wife has an iPhone 7 and we've got plenty of other Apple products at home. Heck, I even have a pair of Beats headphones (for which I had to use an AppleCare replacement last month). It's not like I don't know what I'm missing vis-a-vis Apple's superior treatment of its customers. But the iPhone doesn't have the hardware to make me want to switch. Not even close.
    07-02-2017 09:28 PM
61 123