What OS features do you love about your GS8 that other Androids don't have/do?

mobster011

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Last year I switched from Windows to Android but opted for a cheap ZTE ZMax 2 to get a feel for Android before taking the plunge with a higer end phone. In the next couple months I'll be looking for a better phone because I want to go back to a phone with a great camera, great screen, etc. I can't say that I've loved Android as much as I did my Windows phones, but I'm leaning towards a GS8 while also still considering an iPhone.

Aside from the improved hardware specs, what sort of improvements and capabilities do you love about your GS8 that you can't do on iPhone or other Android phones such as my ZTE Zmax 2?

I look forward to hearing any and all responses!

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I love the fact i can unlock my phone with the iris scanner for one (usefull when you're a bit drunk ahah :p) the secret folder comes in handy for me and samsung seems to have the best screen in the buisiness imo. Curved design is nice and all but the edge function is a hit or miss with most people, i for one don't use it that much but i'm glad to have it when i do need it. Keep in mind though that the s8 is almost incompatible with screen protector because of those edges sadly,i don't use those so not really my cup of tea but there's enough reviews for alot of brands here on the forums if i'm not mistaken.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think of you get a better phone with some decent specs it will be much more appealing. I love the open development of the droids. So many fun places to get random one off apps. Also the rooting and flashing of roms is quite fun and interesting.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I used Windows Phone previously and loved it too. I switched back to Android a couple of years ago. I switched mostly due to a lack of apps and because it appeared MS wasn't going to support the platform anymore which has been proven correct by the fact that no new Windows Phones have been released. Android being open pretty much means you can do a lot of things depending on which device you buy and how much effort you want to expend.

Last edited:

mobster011

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Yea, I miss my Windows Phones but also left due to the lack of apps.

I don't imagine myself rooting or doing too much beyond the out-of-the-box experience. I remember reading something about Android API's allowing for apps to work outside of the apps such as, for example, LastPass filling in passwords for other apps even if LastPass isn't open. Has this been implemented in Android?

What sort of things do Android owners typically argue makes their phone experience better than that of an iPhone?

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I miss my Windows Phones but also left due to the lack of apps.

I don't imagine myself rooting or doing too much beyond the out-of-the-box experience. I remember reading something about Android API's allowing for apps to work outside of the apps such as, for example, LastPass filling in passwords for other apps even if LastPass isn't open. Has this been implemented in Android?

What sort of things do Android owners typically argue makes their phone experience better than that of an iPhone?

To put it simply: it's an open experience you're not forced to use the phone like apple makes you (aka being forced to use a phone the way the company thinks you want to) Anything you don't like about an android phone like : the launcher,fonts,icons etc . you can change it no need for any software to use the phone like itunes for iphones .

Basically you can do whatever you want with it and make it your own where' as apple does not allow such things without jailbreaking. You also get much more features depending on which manufacturer you choose,ie samsung,lg,htc all have their own implementation of android so you're bound to have a different experiences on all models.

Nb:i don't root either i use the samsung's built in theme store for all my customisation needs,but you can also use the playstore or another launcher all together if you don't like it.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Windows blew it. I realize the lack of apps was a killer. But the future is mobile phones with massive new markets in India, Africa and China. But they folded their tent. Pathetic.

My own lay opinion is that Windows should have focused their resources on finally developing a phone that functioned as a full and complete Windows 10 computer requiring only connection with a monitor and mouse. They made some headway but didn't close the deal. This is the one capability that could have distinguished it from all other phones.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Windows blew it. I realize the lack of apps was a killer. But the future is mobile phones with massive new markets in India, Africa and China. But they folded their tent. Pathetic.

My own lay opinion is that Windows should have focused their resources on finally developing a phone that functioned as a full and complete Windows 10 computer requiring only connection with a monitor and mouse. They made some headway but didn't close the deal. This is the one capability that could have distinguished it from all other phones.

They did recently (probbaly like 2016) release a couple of phones from the likes of hp that came with docks and stuff that had the capabilities you just mentionned (ie: plug and play with a windows 10rt type of Ui) they just didn't market the thing correctly and it failed but their biggest mistake imo is indeed the lack of apps and support.

mobster011

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
While MS introduced Continuum to allow the phone to function similar to a PC, I think there's a small percentage of people that are looking for this. Where I think they really failed was marketing. Their marketshare was at its highest when the Lumia phones were being marketed regularly before the Nokia hardware acquisition. Though still not huge, Windows Mobile had 4-6% of the US market and over 10% in some overseas markets. In some countries it actually had greater share than iPhone.

Average consumers are fickle and won't support a phone...a device they rely on every single day...if it's not relevant. There's been many great Android phones that simply don't sell because people are always bombarded with Galaxy and iPhone marketing. MS is one of the only companies that has the deep pockets to make it work if they kept pouring money in to marketing and supporting developers (even giving them money!) to bring their apps to Windows.

With a constant flow of cash in to marketing and developer support, marketshare would increase and, thus, apps would slowly come. In business it's not uncommon for an industry player to become relevant only because they kept pouring resources to ensure its success. They let off the gas after they acquired Nokia's mobile business rather than continuing and, actually, increasing marketing.

It's a shame but oh well. Such is the world of business.

Regarding Android, it seems customization is a common point. Are there any apps and/or software features that are unique to Android?

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
While MS introduced Continuum to allow the phone to function similar to a PC, I think there's a small percentage of people that are looking for this. Where I think they really failed was marketing. Their marketshare was at its highest when the Lumia phones were being marketed regularly before the Nokia hardware acquisition. Though still not huge, Windows Mobile had 4-6% of the US market and over 10% in some overseas markets. In some countries it actually had greater share than iPhone.

Average consumers are fickle and won't support a phone...a device they rely on every single day...if it's not relevant. There's been many great Android phones that simply don't sell because people are always bombarded with Galaxy and iPhone marketing. MS is one of the only companies that has the deep pockets to make it work if they kept pouring money in to marketing and supporting developers (even giving them money!) to bring their apps to Windows.

With a constant flow of cash in to marketing and developer support, marketshare would increase and, thus, apps would slowly come. In business it's not uncommon for an industry player to become relevant only because they kept pouring resources to ensure its success. They let off the gas after they acquired Nokia's mobile business rather than continuing and, actually, increasing marketing.

It's a shame but oh well. Such is the world of business.

Regarding Android, it seems customization is a common point. Are there any apps and/or software features that are unique to Android?

Let me provide a scenario. Suppose laptops are banned from air travel because terrorists have perfected battery bombs. Within that context wouldn't there be a demand for a fully functional Windows phone that can be carried in your pocket and connected to a monitor and mouse at your destination.

I realize Windows experimented with a similar device but it's my understanding that they never got past a crippled version of a fully functional Windows phone/computer aimed at the business community. Then they gave up.

Just a thought.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Last year I switched from Windows to Android but opted for a cheap ZTE ZMax 2 to get a feel for Android before taking the plunge with a higer end phone. In the next couple months I'll be looking for a better phone because I want to go back to a phone with a great camera, great screen, etc. I can't say that I've loved Android as much as I did my Windows phones, but I'm leaning towards a GS8 while also still considering an iPhone.

Aside from the improved hardware specs, what sort of improvements and capabilities do you love about your GS8 that you can't do on iPhone or other Android phones such as my ZTE Zmax 2?

I look forward to hearing any and all responses!

Samsung Pay is what set Samsung apart. Being able to pay at nearly any terminal is amazing, even some store clerks don't believe it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12