Have you gotten bored of the AMOLED screen yet?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Some love it, some hate it. I've used Samsung's AMOLED screens for many years. At one point, I got bored of looking at it. Whites just doesn't look good to me, and greys show lots of flaws. But after not using it for a while, it looks beautiful again, then again, I get bored of the cartoony look. What do you think?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
for me i cant use a non samsung amoled display as i go used to the black color that no other display can match. Also i use a samsung S27B970D display for my desktop which is a calibrated monitor that delivers true colours sure colours on the s8 arent accurate but none of the other mobile phones are as well . But i just cant handle a mobile display that doesnt show true black

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
uhmm.. adjust your color temp? Saying you dont like the white of the amoled screen is like saying you don't like the yellow of the sun. It is still..yellow.

Once again complaining just for the sake of complaining.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
uhmm.. adjust your color temp? Saying you dont like the white of the amoled screen is like saying you don't like the yellow of the sun. It is still..yellow.

Put the HTC next to the Samsung and you'll see the whites are whiter.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Put the HTC next to the Samsung and you'll see the whites are whiter.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Like someone previously said, there are tradeoffs to each tech. LCD has its pros and cons, better whites, no screen burn etc. Whereas AMOLED also has its pros and cons, better blacks, brighter colours.

Its best just to use and enjoy what you have. If you compare things you're always going to find flaws.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Meh. It's a screen. I use it to see what I am doing on my phone. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I'm just happy to be back with an amoled so that the screen doesn't blank out every time I turn it sideways to take a picture with my sunglasses on.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The screen is beautiful and I never get tired of looking at it. What I am really tired of is the curved screen. I really don't like it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The screen is beautiful and I never get tired of looking at it. What I am really tired of is the curved screen. I really don't like it.

I feel the same way. I could do without the curved screens.

The only phone that I felt was actually useful with an edge panel was the Note Edge. That was the phone that started with the curved screens. The edge panel on that phone was actually useful such as how it placed the camera and music controls on the edge as well as notifications displaying there while you used the phone.

I do love the phone and the screen.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Bored? How does that even make sense? Maybe if it was greyscale or something. The whites looks awesome, especially with the blue light filter turned on. It's amazing the difference you get with that filter. I never noticed just how much blue light was coming out of previous phones until I turned on that filter. I just got used to all the blue and didn't realize that "white" was just a light shade of blue without it. Now, if I turn it off, it looks ridiculous with how blue it is.

Cartoony? Huh? I've sat and watched shows/movies on Hulu and color-wise it looks better than most LCD TVs.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I thought I would have the same level of disdain for it as you express, as I tend to dislike gimmicks in general. But happily, it doesn't really bother me much at all. With a case on the unit, I hardly notice them.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I'm bored with my s8+ screen.
Can't use amoled modes due to red tint. Colours are indeed very bright, like a cartoon, although I don't mind that. Also probably because of adaptive mode which has the brightest colours.
I have an iPhone to compare it with, and that screen doesn't bore me yet.
Samsung being totally unwilling to do anything about it.
Yeah pretty much bored.