Phone is DEAD!

LoveMyPhone

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint S8 died this evening! I wasn't charging it or anything. I picked it up a couple of hours after getting home from work and it was dead can't reboot or anything! Just a black screen. HELP?!?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
re:

Just for kicks can you hook it up to a PC and see if that might trigger it awake? Can't hurt. Strange that is just rolled over like that with no warning. Still should be under warranty.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

Try and see if a soft reset helps. Hold the power button and the volume-down button for about 7-10 seconds. Let go of the buttons once you feel the device vibrates. It should reboot and I hope that it fixes it, if nothing try once more just in case you didn't do it right the first time.

Worst case scenario put it to charge and let it overnight, just in case is a battery glitch.

SinisterDuck

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
re:

Glad it worked out. My iPhone did that a couple of months back, and nothing worked. Never dropped it, not a scratch but deader than dead. Took it to the Apple Store, and they ran some tests, said it was DOA and gave me a new (probably refurbished) phone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
re:

Hey! The reset worked!! Thanks! I wonder what happened to cause it to do that?!? Thanks again!

Probably software crashed and the phone was apparently still on but not showing anything. Usually a battery pull will fix it, but since it's sealed, the force reset works too.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
re:

Be aware though, if this happens frequently you need to send it for repair. I had this with the A7 and they replaced all the internals.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

One reason to prefer the replaceable battery. Lots of glitches cured with the temporary removable of battery.

Holding down the power button for 6-10 seconds does the same thing, it's a simulated battery pull but much less destructive to the device.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Try and see if a soft reset helps. Hold the power button and the volume-down button for about 7-10 seconds. Let go of the buttons once you feel the device vibrates. It should reboot and I hope that it fixes it, if nothing try once more just in case you didn't do it right the first time.

Worst case scenario put it to charge and let it overnight, just in case is a battery glitch.

Ok I made this a Q&A, now obviously a soft reset will not always work, BUT it's ALWAYS a good thing to try before trying other more drastic measures! So it gets a "best answer" ;)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
That happened to my phone about a month ago and my wife's phone a week or two after getting it. We did the same thing to get it running again. It was sounds like a common thing with the S8. I don't remember this happening with past phones.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
That happened to my phone about a month ago and my wife's phone a week or two after getting it. We did the same thing to get it running again. It was sounds like a common thing with the S8. I don't remember this happening with past phones.

It just happened to my roommates iPhone 7 a few weeks ago.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
This actually happens quite frequently with my S8+ and the first time it happened it really freaked me out. I took it in to my carrier and they did whatever to it and said it shouldn't happen anymore (which I knew it was very likely it would happen again). Now I just kinda deal with it when it happens and do the soft reset to get it back on. Shouldn't have to be that way, but whatever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech