Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I called FedEx to refuse shipment so that it will go back to Samsung and my order will be refunded. I was already skeptical, but people posted screenshots of chats with Samsung reps who said pretty much any working smartphone would be okay. I and others read the terms and conditions carefully, and it really did sound like they would take anything, including old phones or prepaid ones.

I was going to send in a $20 prepaid phone from Best Buy, which has worked for some but not others. Upon reading this news, I was tempted to just send in my daily driver (Moto G4,) but seems like others had problems with even better or newer phones. Many did not get acceptance/rejection letters until late or even passed their return periods, so it wasn't worth the headache for me.

I am glad it worked for some, and bummed for those who got left hanging. Like others said in the original thread about this deal: be wary of Samsung promos. Not sure I will even want one with a more legit sale in the future, based on this alone.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard yet. I sent in a brand new gophone that cost $20. I tried it out and it turned on, being brand new it didn't have a cracked screen or dings or scratches. Their criteria was simple and clear and was met by the phone I sent in. Frankly I'm surprised they are testing them at all.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have decided to cancel everything. I am returning my Samsung galaxy S8, Verizon version. Simply put, I do not want to risk them rejecting my perfectly great iPhone 4, which is in very very very nice shape. But that clearly doesn't seem to matter to whatever third-party is in charge of this Process. Seems they are rejecting all iPhone 4's.

I'll be doing an in-depth YouTube video about all of this and get it posted by mid week. Samsung deserves to take heat on this.

Meanwhile I'll go back to my iPhone 6S Plus and wait on the upcoming Essential Phone.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So much this.

This promo was too good to be true. Anything from Samsung that seems too good to pass up comes with problems. I'd rather walk into a store, grab my phone, pay my bill and be done. I wish everyone luck but I'd bet Samsung will tell those affected where to go before they honor their promo.

Why do people say this promo was too good to be true? There are several deals like this, or better, going on right now. It wasn't too good. It was quite average.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I did this promo about 3 weeks ago on the at&t variant and was really skeptical about it. After reading everywhere and a chat with Samsung support I sent in an old old HTC phone. Got an email last week saying it was accepted. I guess I was a lucky one.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Why do people say this promo was too good to be true? There are several deals like this, or better, going on right now. It wasn't too good. It was quite average.

I think people wondered if Samsung would screw people over and yeah, they absolutely are doing just that. As of this morning I have talked to three people who's phones were rejected, despite those phones clearly qualifying. The worst case is the iPhone 4S in perfect condition being rejected for no given reason. The buyer has repeatedly tried to get answers and they are not coming. He took pics and video of the phone before he sent it and yeah, the phone looked brand new. It's battery was good. Everything was fine. And yet he was rejected and charged.

That convinced me to just stop and send my phone back for a refund. I have an iPhone 4 in nice shape and I am not going to risk going through this. Just not worth it.

A deal is a deal and I hope somebody out there has the time and patience to take Samsung to court over this. That company really does want to have the worst customer service rating on the planet.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm a little confused as to why I'm reading people accuse others of "gaming the system" through sending in old cheap phones and that they deserve to be rejected. First, the terms of the trade-in program stated ANY working android or iOS phone without a cracked screen and functioning. Second, people are reporting that perfectly good iphones as well as android phones are getting rejected for no good reason. It sounds more to me like Samsung is drawing lottery balls to determine what gets accepted and what doesn't.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little confused as to why I'm reading people accuse others of "gaming the system" through sending in old cheap phones and that they deserve to be rejected. First, the terms of the trade-in program stated ANY working android or iOS phone without a cracked screen and functioning. Second, people are reporting that perfectly good iphones as well as android phones are getting rejected for no good reason. It sounds more to me like Samsung is drawing lottery balls to determine what gets accepted and what doesn't.

YES EXACTLY! They specifically say iOS phones are fine. Nowhere does it say older iPhone 4's or 4S's are not acceptable. They they are rejecting all iPhone 4's and 4S's! They have even rejected iPhone 5's. Phones that had perfect screens, good batteries, etc.

This is flat out rotten. If they intended to do this then legally they are required to list phones that do not qualify.

My first experience with Samsung phones has turned into a complete nightmare. So I am returning mine. Bye bye Samsung.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Best buy has $200 off the S8/S8+ this week. A lot simpler although it is via installment plan.

OR get a $200 bb gc with unlocked version.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
What are the devices and conditions that they are supposed to honor?

No devices were listed just guidelines for conditions, except an extra $100 for S7, S7 Edge and Note 7.

Only phones in "good condition" are eligible for the discount, and anything else will only take $25 off your S8 purchase. Good condition means the phone has to turn on and hold a charge, have a functioning display, and not have any damage beyond "normal wear and tear" (like breaks or cracks). Your phone also cannot be on a blacklist of any kind, and can't have any anti-theft protection enabled.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone shed any light on the grounds for the claim denials?
Unless the phone was damaged (which was a grounds for denial) the responses have been very generic from what I've seen. Along the lines of "your device did not meet the qualifications and you will be billed an additional $175". I also believe those customers are not having those devices returned to them (not 100% sure on that).

The problem is they have made up the rules after the fact and quite frankly they can't do that. What it will take now to correct it is either a massive return situation, which will be another nightmare and hassle for customers, or an attorney willing to file a class action lawsuit which will take years to settle.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Some good ones are the people who bought a new phone for $50, unwrapped it and sent it in. Samsung waited 2 weeks to check it so by the time they did the battery was drained. They then rejected the phone because "battery will not hold charge". Well of course it won't if you let it sit for 2 weeks and don't charge it.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem is they have made up the rules after the fact and quite frankly they can't do that. What it will take now to correct it is either a massive return situation, which will be another nightmare and hassle for customers, or an attorney willing to file a class action lawsuit which will take years to settle.
Why not criminal charges? If these stories are true, there seems to be systematic fraud and theft.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how accurate these stories are but if they are true I wouldn't even try to buy the S8 at another place, I wouldn't buy another Samsung device period.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Why not criminal charges? If these stories are true, there seems to be systematic fraud and theft.
That takes money for a lawyer. Who has that? Certainly not anyone trading in a phone. So Samsung or whomever is in charge of this program knows that all too well.

The ONLY way this gets taken care of is if places like Pocketnow, etc. shine a nasty light on it.