Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have a copy of the "fine print" legal terms of this offer? I keep seeing the promotional text, but I'm curious to see what exactly the actual terms were.

This is the portion pertaining to the "good condition" aspect.

Part 1.
When you place your order, Samsung’s website will display a Trade-In Value based on the particular model device you select as your Trade-in Device. The Trade-In Value displayed is subject to receipt by Samsung of your Trade-in Device, in good condition as provided in these Terms. You may incur additional charges if you do not send your Trade-In Device to Samsung within fifteen (15) days of receiving your new device or if your Trade-In Device is not in good condition. See Sections 4 and 5 below for further details. From time to time, Samsung may offer limited time trade-in promotions (“Promotions”) with terms and eligibility requirements that may differ from those described here. Promotions will be covered by separate terms and these Terms will not apply. Please refer to our website for the most up to date Promotions and related terms

Part 2.
5. Good Condition
Samsung will determine, in its sole judgment, whether your Trade-In Device is in good condition. A Trade-In Device is in "good condition" if it:
· Powers on and holds a charge;
· Has a functioning display;
· Has no breaks or cracks or other visible defects that go beyond normal wear and tear; AND
· Is not on a black list of any kind.
In addition to being in “good condition”, your Qualifying Trade-In Device must satisfy the following additional requirements (as well as all other requirements set forth in these Terms):
· Has Reactivation Lock, Google Factory Reset Protection, or any other anti-theft locking software disabled; AND
· You must have performed a factory reset and removed all personal information from device (as described in Section 3 above).

Edit: Here is the full T&C.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...CID%3DAFL-hq-mul-0813-11000946&token=HYAjObWJ

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd say these two lines in the full TOS cover Samsung's behavior:

· Samsung reserves the right to substitute, change, cancel or add to any part of these Terms at any time, including terminating the Trade-In Program or modifying these Terms.

· We reserve the right to decline or cancel your participation in the Trade-In Program, with or without advance notice, if we believe that your participation is enabling a fraudulent or illegal purpose.

Basically, they can change the terms at any time. I would also venture a guess that someone buying a $25 phone to get a $200 credit likely would be a "fraudulent or illegal purpose".
This is why I hate trade in programs. There's always a giant gray area designed to favor the company handling the trade in and potentially screw the participant.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I hope Samsung is honoring it. I wouldn't have bought the s8+ (great phone) but not at that price. When I saw it for $525 it was too good to pass up. Now I'm stuck paying close to $800 after tax is they don't honor the promo. My donor phone was delivered on 7/3 so I should be hearing back soon.

Would you mind posting up when you get your email from Samsung? My donor device was delivered today and I'm curious how long I have to wait to find out if they screwed me or not.

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
This!!@galaxyfive She was acting all like the iPhone 4 was this alien tech that stands the test of time. Having an iPhone with no touch Id and a 4.3 inch screen in 2017 may be worth 200 bucks but that's being generous. Obviously if your in the market for the s8 meaning you should be able to afford it..Just go buy it with a different offer and be Happy!

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
***bias alert***

I cannot see any reason to buy a new phone from anyone other than your carrier. I traded an s4 I got on eBay and recevied $200 off the purchase of an s8 in store. I bought 2 more s8 the other day and was told I have 10 days to bring a trade in, so I bought another s4 from the same seller.

I do not feel comfortable mailing anything that makes me feel like I just wrote a blank check to a large company.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
My phone for the trade in was received June 28th by Samsung and I have not received any sort of e-mail from them about the trade. I was just looking through the thread here trying to figure how long it usually takes.

ashishndhawan

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried calling their customer care and even received an email from Samsung pointing out to the same stupid link where the trade description was vague. I didn't go through with it and now I am glad I didn't. this is called unfair trade practices. worth raising it with FTC if you are extremely pissed.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried calling their customer care and even received an email from Samsung pointing out to the same stupid link where the trade description was vague. I didn't go through with it and now I am glad I didn't. this is called unfair trade practices. worth raising it with FTC if you are extremely pissed.

Yeah good luck with that. Samsung covered their butts all but good in the fine print.

thambikutty

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I too have been duped by this deal. Traded in a brand new moto E, which they rejected for "Normal Wear & Tear. Not sure if there was a mix up or if this was just shady business tactic. It didnt help that I paid using Samsung financing, so I'm not sure if my charge dispute will be accepted. It's sad if Samsung had to resolve to such tactics upon it's loyal consumers. I've been Samsung since the S4. They've supposedly escalated my complaint for manager review which is supposed to take at least 3-5 days (5 days really when I called to check status of escalation).

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I too have been duped by this deal. Traded in a brand new moto E, which they rejected for "Normal Wear & Tear. Not sure if there was a mix up or if this was just shady business tactic. It didnt help that I paid using Samsung financing, so I'm not sure if my charge dispute will be accepted. It's sad if Samsung had to resolve to such tactics upon it's loyal consumers. I've been Samsung since the S4. They've supposedly escalated my complaint for manager review which is supposed to take at least 3-5 days (5 days really when I called to check status of escalation).

That is so odd ! I mean what is normal wear and tear and if it's brand new or even scratches along the frame if the screen works and isn't cracked then whats the problem - surely if they want to argue what is or isn't " normal" wear and tear but explain a new phone - they should have to explain specifically why - but either way so many orders are still pending - they probably just waiting until we cancel - I really loathe Bixby and forcing the hardware button is annoying then the note 8 has it too soo I may jus part ways with this brand even though I like Samsung pay

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Was really worried after reading this thread but just got my acceptance email last night while sleeping. Traded in my old galaxy s3.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It seems so random as to what they are accepting/rejecting. They received my Sony Z3c on the 6th and I just got the approval email this morning. It was in ROUGH condition.

In fact, after reading this thread, I was so sure they weren't going to take it that I asked for an RMA before my 15 days expired.
Guess I'll just keep the phone now though.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I traded in my Nextbit Robin phone for this trade in and just got a reply back from Samsung today saying that the phone was bricked or Blacklisted.

First off it's a fully unlocked phone with no carrier attachments so it could not be blacklisted! And in fear of some **** like this happening I recorded a video of myself turning on the phone and showing that there was no damage and it brought you to the set up new account screen and powering it off before boxing it up and shipping it out all with in the FedEx store.

I am currently working with my bank on claiming that this is a fraudulent charge and I am disputing it.

3lectr0nic

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I am currently working with my bank on claiming that this is a fraudulent charge and I am disputing it.

If you file a chargeback isn't there a chance they will blacklist the S8 you purchased?

I am in the same situation where they said HTC One M8 was denied for "Normal Wear & Tear" when I have videos and pictures of the phone in good shape. It appears that I can call their support phone number, but I have low hopes for that amounting to any changes.

Has anyone had success with either a chargeback or their support line?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
They can and will blacklist you if you file a chargeback. Most CCs that I've read about have denied the requests as well since the new charge is tied to the original item or however they classify it and not a new item with a new charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7