Just ordered the regular size S8, questions

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So ever since I handled the regular size S8 in person which has been twice, I've not been able to shake it from my mind. It felt awesome in one hand and looked killer. I know the screen size is much larger than what you'd typically get in a phone this size but what do you guys excluding the infinity larger screen think the actual size of the phone is or compared to? To me it felt in one hand to be more of that of a 5 inch type device. By the way I placed my order for an Arctic Silver model earlier tonight. Overall are you guys finding that it's easy to use in one hand? I didn't have a chance to test out the interface or keyboard as the phone was cut off both times I handled it. What color is everyone seem to be getting. I love silver so the Arctic was a easy choice for me although it will get covered up by a Red carbon fiber dbrand skin. I plan not to use a case to keep the bulk down but I know I'll need to be careful especially with the full sized curved screen. I've got insurance on it so I should be okay. Any tips or advice about the device overall to enhance the user experience or if it even needs it to speed it up? Any major issues you guys have run into on the regular S8 that seems to be major so far? Thanks for any advice or feedback as I really swore off Samsung after having had both of the S7 devices and the choppy and sticky touch wiz. I've read that the S8 touch wiz is more refined and smoother. Is this true? Thanks again for any help!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow I thought you went Apple? That was quick :p.

As for comparing the size of the phone.. it feels pretty great. I have the S8 + and have no issues holding or using the phone. A little bit of a juggling act at times but not much. The device being taller makes it easier to hold even though it's big (versus being wider).

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Oh wow I thought you went Apple? That was quick :p.

As for comparing the size of the phone.. it feels pretty great. I have the S8 + and have no issues holding or using the phone. A little bit of a juggling act at times but not much. The device being taller makes it easier to hold even though it's big (versus being wider).
I was exclusive to apple ever since the iPhone 5 and then just over a year ago I finally branched out and tried not just a couple but almost all the mid to upper end Android devices. The last main device I used before I jumped ship to Android was in fact the SE which at the time I loved. After a full year on Android with their screen size to consider 5.2 to be small, I guess I got used to that and although my first love is Apple simply bc of it's unbelievable fluid interface and almost infinite software updates to several year old devices. I just could not research and read articles comfortably on the SE and definitely couldn't watch a movie. Plus I had handled the S8 twice on different occasions and I absolutely fell for it in regard to how it felt in one hand. I just could not shake it from my mind so I finally caved. I did however stick with apple on my tablet and to cut costs I actually ordered the iPad Air 2 which I've owned before and loved it. It's still a top iPad device and will easily do what I need it to which is occasional work (not much there), web browsing and research and for definitely watching movies. Plus I still have like three cases for it left from when I last owned it. I just couldn't justify the price jump on both of the pro models when the Air 2 still performs at a very high level with great screen resolution. I hope I end up liking this S8 as I had swore off Samsung after not liking the S7 models at all which I blame touch wiz for that. The S8 just impressed me so much by the pure feel in one hand and visually how good it looked that I knew I had to get it after I realized it wasn't going to leave my mind. Now at least I'll have the feel of a 5 inch device but with a huge screen that will enable me to do pretty much with ease what I couldn't do with my iPhone SE which I did in fact like but 4 inches is just too small.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your new device. Experience UI aka TouchWiz has a far lighter footprint on the GS8 so hopefully it will annoy you less. Curved screen accidental presses aren't an issue. I got the midnight black GS8 with a Defender case.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Dude, you need more help than I do when it comes to phone switching. Holy ****.
Yeah since coming over to android just a little over a year ago I've just mainly been testing out devices and now it's become a hobby lol. I did use the honor 8 for about 6 months and liked EMUI. I've been wanting this regular size S8 ever since I first picked it up so as long as the interface is smoother than the S7 models, I plan to hang tight with this one for a while. Especially now that I'm locked to a carrier with it. It's been a while since I was with any carrier so it'll force me to stay with it longer plus it seems to be one of the best devices on the market right now. The hobby has been expensive. Lol. Fun though.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My experience with TouchWiz is limited. The S8 is my first Samsung device. It's a little choppy in spots, but not bad really. Normally I roll with Nova/Action Launcher. I play with TouchWiz on my days off, sometimes. I've also been messing around making my own wallpaper with the camera. Mostly brick, kinda obsessed at the moment. Cameras great.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My experience with TouchWiz is limited. The S8 is my first Samsung device. It's a little choppy in spots, but not bad really. Normally I roll with Nova/Action Launcher. I play with TouchWiz on my days off, sometimes. I've also been messing around making my own wallpaper with the camera. Mostly brick, kinda obsessed at the moment. Cameras great.
Yeah I hear the camera is nice. Mine will be here tomorrow and I'm excited to get it. Sounds like it has a lot to offer. I'm not sure if I'll use Nova or leave it stock yet. I've always used nova except for when I used my honor 8.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My S8 just arrived!!! Who has a regular S8? Should I Exchange for the +?

I'd still like to get one but that does make me wonder. I'm sure it's fine but for the money you'd think.

I just ordered the Samsung S8 regular size. I have been wanting that phone. It'll be here tomorrow and I'm excited to use it. I'll still be getting the honor 9 when it finally gets released. I've just been wanting the S8 ever since I first handled it a while back. It's been a while since I've had a big time flagship device.
The only thing it did was tie me down to a carrier again. I had totally gotten away from carriers but I wanted the S8. I only had to pay $30 dollars down. Then I went ahead and ordered the iPad Air 2 which was only 40 dollars down. I wanted the limited edition red iPhone but it was $100 down and I didn't want to pay that. Plus it was only offered in a 128g and I didn't need that much space. It would have been nice to link it up to my iPad to text and take calls from it though. I still could cancel my order and get it. What do you guys think?

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Im rocking the s8 and the iPhone 7, I like both for different reasons but I'm leaning towards liking the s8 more . The s8 is easier on the eyes with slightly bigger text and actually more fun to use . The iPhone saying "it just works" is true for the most part . I don't worry about tweaking anything to conserve battery or shutting down apps that I've had open . But if you get tired of the layout ur just out of luck , I would like to change the color of iMessage to black but that won't happen without jail breaking the phone. I'm on vacation and my iPhone is my "beater phone " and I already miss the s8 till I get back

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
touch wiz on the s8 and plus models has been the best user experience I have personally ever had... I am an avid upgrader and this has been the best experience by far... seriously

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I got the Midnight Black S8+ yesterday and it has been great. I have not had a Samsung device since the S5 and Note 4. I think Samsung has come a long way with Touchwiz as it has been very fluid so far. I came from the Google Pixel (which I still have as a back up for now) and I feel the S8+ is pretty dang close in terms of fluidity. Overall, the S8 and S8+ are among the top devices available and I think you will be happy with your decision. Enjoy your new phone when it comes in!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re: Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

The only thing it did was tie me down to a carrier again. I had totally gotten away from carriers but I wanted the S8. I only had to pay $30 dollars down. Then I went ahead and ordered the iPad Air 2 which was only 40 dollars down. I wanted the limited edition red iPhone but it was $100 down and I didn't want to pay that. Plus it was only offered in a 128g and I didn't need that much space. It would have been nice to link it up to my iPad to text and take calls from it though. I still could cancel my order and get it. What do you guys think?

I would get the red iPhone because it would probably have slightly better resell. U have to pay a little more up front though...so if that is an issue then i certainly understand.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
touch wiz on the s8 and plus models has been the best user experience I have personally ever had... I am an avid upgrader and this has been the best experience by far... seriously
Really? Touch wiz on the S7 models was awful. The S8 must be tons better. That is good to know because mine will be here tomorrow. I'm super excited to get it. I've been wanting the regular size S8 ever since I first picked it up and it's awesome in one hand too.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

I would get the red iPhone because it would probably have slightly better resell. U have to pay a little more up front though...so if that is an issue then i certainly understand.
I ended up going with the S8 only because it was only $30 down. The Red iPhone was $100. Since I went with the $30 down I was able to afford a new iPad Air 2 that was only $40 down but it's on back order for a few days. That bites but when it arrives I'll already have my tempered glass and three cases for it. I went ahead and ordered a Red logitech case today on amazon. I remember loving the Air pad 2 and I also remember thinking the upgrade to the iPad pro from it was not worth the price difference. Plus I had two cases left over for it and the pricing was good. The only down fall is that all they had was a 32g but then again I don't download movies or music. I stream them. I'll use my iPad to browse the web and watch Amazon prime movies on. The screen resolution is just as good as the pro and that's really all that matters. It's plenty quick enough and it should get supported with updates for a long time to come. I wished I could have afforded the iPhone 7 so I could have linked the tablet together and been able to text and receive calls on. I still may just get the flat black iPhone 7 and refuse shipment on the S8. I'm going to check to see what the down payment is on a regular iPhone 7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I ended up going with the S8 only because it was only $30 down. The Red iPhone was $100. Since I went with the $30 down I was able to afford a new iPad Air 2 that was only $40 down but it's on back order for a few days. That bites but when it arrives I'll already have my tempered glass and three cases for it. I went ahead and ordered a Red logitech case today on amazon. I remember loving the Air pad 2 and I also remember thinking the upgrade to the iPad pro from it was not worth the price difference. Plus I had two cases left over for it and the pricing was good. The only down fall is that all they had was a 32g but then again I don't download movies or music. I stream them. I'll use my iPad to browse the web and watch Amazon prime movies on. The screen resolution is just as good as the pro and that's really all that matters. It's plenty quick enough and it should get supported with updates for a long time to come. I wished I could have afforded the iPhone 7 so I could have linked the tablet together and been able to text and receive calls on. I still may just get the flat black iPhone 7 and refuse shipment on the S8. I'm going to check to see what the down payment is on a regular iPhone 7

Could you have gotten an iPhone 7 but in the base model for less down? Obviously you won't be able to get the red model though.

I have an air 2 and an iPad pro 12.9 and honestly the resolution of the air 2 is really good already. I can't really tell the difference between it and the iPad pro 12.9, at least not through normal usage.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Could you have gotten an iPhone 7 but in the base model for less down? Obviously you won't be able to get the red model though.

I have an air 2 and an iPad pro 12.9 and honestly the resolution of the air 2 is really good already. I can't really tell the difference between it and the iPad pro 12.9, at least not through normal usage.
That's the problem is that I really really wanted the Red model but with it only being offered in 128g it made the down payment $100 vs the S8 $30. That $30 afforded me to also go ahead and order the Air Pad 2. I never checked on the basic black iPhone 7 to see what it would have been since I was so dead set on the Red model then I already knew I wanted the S8 from having handled it twice previously. That's the part I'm bummed out over is that I can't link the S8 up to the Air 2 but I guess it will have to be okay. My S8 is out for delivery as I type this so I'm pretty much stuck going with the S8 now. My Air Pad 2 is on back order so it could be a few days or a couple of weeks which I'm not real happy about but it'll be nice when it does finally arrive. I don't need two phone lines but I'm tempted to still get the iPhone 7 so I can swap out with the S8 every once in a while. I can't decide. Just more money which is rather not spend. I've read and seen good things about the S8 though so I think I'll be okay. I just really wanted that Red iPhone as 95 percent of all my phone cases and skins are Red. It's one of my favorite colors. I would have not even used a case had I gotten it but possibly just ordered a back Red skin for at least some protection.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

That's the problem is that I really really wanted the Red model but with it only being offered in 128g it made the down payment $100 vs the S8 $30. That $30 afforded me to also go ahead and order the Air Pad 2. I never checked on the basic black iPhone 7 to see what it would have been since I was so dead set on the Red model then I already knew I wanted the S8 from having handled it twice previously. That's the part I'm bummed out over is that I can't link the S8 up to the Air 2 but I guess it will have to be okay. My S8 is out for delivery as I type this so I'm pretty much stuck going with the S8 now. My Air Pad 2 is on back order so it could be a few days or a couple of weeks which I'm not real happy about but it'll be nice when it does finally arrive. I don't need two phone lines but I'm tempted to still get the iPhone 7 so I can swap out with the S8 every once in a while. I can't decide. Just more money which is rather not spend. I've read and seen good things about the S8 though so I think I'll be okay. I just really wanted that Red iPhone as 95 percent of all my phone cases and skins are Red. It's one of my favorite colors. I would have not even used a case had I gotten it but possibly just ordered a back Red skin for at least some protection.

Just curious, if you were planning on getting a skin anyway then does it really matter, since the iPhone 7 in red has a white front anyway? I mean the skin would cover 90% of the body anyway.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My S8 just arrived!!! Who has a regular S8? Should I Exchange for the +?

So my S8 regular just arrived! I've been setting it up and it's packed with features I must say. It's so much smoother than the S7 models and the regular is perfect for one hand. Who all out there opted for the regular size S8? Seems like most have the S8 Plus. I'm still learning this device. Anyone have any advice or tips that I need to know? Thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463