Just ordered the regular size S8, questions

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: My S8 just arrived!!! Who has a regular S8?

Enjoy your new device! :)
Thanks! I absolutely love it!! It's a heck of a device. The best Android I've used to date. It over takes the Nexus 6p for the top spot since I swapped over to android a little over a year ago. I've been through a lot of devices over that time and I dont recall enjoying one more than this S8 what so ever. It's jammed packed and with features. Although I didn't mind Samsung's keyboard I use a specific color with the Google keyboard that I use with every Android device. Best of all touch wiz is leaps and bounds better than the S7 models and no longer choppy and sticky so I didn't even put my Nova launcher in or am using it. I'm using stock touch wiz which I NEVER thought I would say that ever. Never say never I guess. I'm loving it.

I'm curious who all out there opted for the the regular S8. Who else opted for the S8 regular like myself. I find it to be perfect for one hand use but still plenty big enough screen to web browse, read articles and watch an occasional movie on.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

Just curious, if you were planning on getting a skin anyway then does it really matter, since the iPhone 7 in red has a white front anyway? I mean the skin would cover 90% of the body anyway.
I would not have had I gotten the Red iPhone but however I am not a fan of the white front. I like the black but oddly enough I didn't even check to see how much the black iPhone 7 would have been down as I opted for the S8 which came in today. Wow I love this phone! Touch wiz is no longer choppy and sticky like it was with the S7 models. It's very smooth and this device is packed with features. Plus it was only $30 dollars down so I couldn't pass it up. I also ordered my beloved iPad Air 2 again as well but it's on backorder so I'm having to wait. The only thing I'll miss is being able to link my iPhone up with my iPad to text and receive calls. The S8 I believe is the best Android device outside of the Honor 8 I've used to date. Before this it was the Nexus 6p but the S8 tops it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm waiting on my new regular s8 to be delivered. I had the s8 Plus when it first launched but jumped to the LG G6 after a few weeks then jumped again to anther phone after a month. I really liked the s8 Plus and the battery was awesome. The camera was disappointing for me personally but it's ok on average. I usually get larger phones but the regular s8 is big enough, the battery isn't much worse than the Plus model and it's a better size to use one handed which was one of my complaints with the s8 Plus too.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm waiting on my new regular s8 to be delivered. I had the s8 Plus when it first launched but jumped to the LG G6 after a few weeks then jumped again to anther phone after a month. I really liked the s8 Plus and the battery was awesome. The camera was disappointing for me personally but it's ok on average. I usually get larger phones but the regular s8 is big enough, the battery isn't much worse than the Plus model and it's a better size to use one handed which was one of my complaints with the s8 Plus too.
Having the S8+, I totally agree this thing is difficult to use one handed. But it feels nice having a larger phone again after having had the 5" Google Pixel.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would not have had I gotten the Red iPhone but however I am not a fan of the white front. I like the black but oddly enough I didn't even check to see how much the black iPhone 7 would have been down as I opted for the S8 which came in today. Wow I love this phone! Touch wiz is no longer choppy and sticky like it was with the S7 models. It's very smooth and this device is packed with features. Plus it was only $30 dollars down so I couldn't pass it up. I also ordered my beloved iPad Air 2 again as well but it's on backorder so I'm having to wait. The only thing I'll miss is being able to link my iPhone up with my iPad to text and receive calls. The S8 I believe is the best Android device outside of the Honor 8 I've used to date. Before this it was the Nexus 6p but the S8 tops it.

Yeah the s8 is pretty sweet. I can receive texts and calls on any tablet, even Android, using the Verizon messages app. Does T-Mobile have such a similar app? If so then that could solve your problem.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Having the S8+, I totally agree this thing is difficult to use one handed. But it feels nice having a larger phone again after having had the 5" Google Pixel.
How did you like that 5 inch pixel. Personally I think 5 inches is the ideal one handed phone bc it's give you plenty of screen to have for web browsing, reading articles and an occasional movie. I'm coming from a wat too small iPhone SE where I could not do any of the above said. I feot the S8 Plus would be too big and I like a one handed phone. I looked into the 5 inch pixel but ended up getting the S8 at $30 down so I could not pass it up. I love it so far. I ordered two skins for it. One from mighty skins and one from dbrand. I've better experience with the mighty skin when I had the Nexus 6p so I ordered both to see which I like better. Both are Red for me. I also intalled a liquid skin screen protector on it earlier today which has worked out perfectly. I've got a very silim profile Red case coming or arriving tomorrow that I may use sometimes. I don't like using cases if I don't have to but this phone is so expensive that I just might use it all the time. I'll have to see how it feels in one hand. I like using my devices in with one hand and this regular size S8 is perfect for that plus plenty big enough screen that I could easily watch a movie on too.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Yeah the s8 is pretty sweet. I can receive texts and calls on any tablet, even Android, using the Verizon messages app. Does T-Mobile have such a similar app? If so then that could solve your problem.
I had to swap to sprint to get the deal I got. I don't believe they have any text messaging links. I really hated to leave cricket and at some point after I get this paid off I'll swap back. I can't stand the Sprint apps on the phone. There are too many of them. Some like paying your bill are useful but most I'm going to disable and remove. I'm still learning the phone but so far it's impressive. It's packed with features and it's got the adaptive sound experience with earbuds which sound awesome. I went with the regular size as it feels perfect in one hand. The plus was too large. I wanted a one hander and this S8 is just that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I had to swap to sprint to get the deal I got. I don't believe they have any text messaging links. I really hated to leave cricket and at some point after I get this paid off I'll swap back. I can't stand the Sprint apps on the phone. There are too many of them. Some like paying your bill are useful but most I'm going to disable and remove. I'm still learning the phone but so far it's impressive. It's packed with features and it's got the adaptive sound experience with earbuds which sound awesome. I went with the regular size as it feels perfect in one hand. The plus was too large. I wanted a one hander and this S8 is just that.

Ah, i didn't realize that you are with Sprint now. Haven't used sprint in a long time. Glad that you found a phone that you love.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

How did you like that 5 inch pixel. Personally I think 5 inches is the ideal one handed phone bc it's give you plenty of screen to have for web browsing, reading articles and an occasional movie. I'm coming from a wat too small iPhone SE where I could not do any of the above said. I feot the S8 Plus would be too big and I like a one handed phone. I looked into the 5 inch pixel but ended up getting the S8 at $30 down so I could not pass it up. I love it so far. I ordered two skins for it. One from mighty skins and one from dbrand. I've better experience with the mighty skin when I had the Nexus 6p so I ordered both to see which I like better. Both are Red for me. I also intalled a liquid skin screen protector on it earlier today which has worked out perfectly. I've got a very silim profile Red case coming or arriving tomorrow that I may use sometimes. I don't like using cases if I don't have to but this phone is so expensive that I just might use it all the time. I'll have to see how it feels in one hand. I like using my devices in with one hand and this regular size S8 is perfect for that plus plenty big enough screen that I could easily watch a movie on too.
I enjoyed the Pixel. It is, in my opinion, the best optimized Android available. Unfortunately, the lack of several features left me longing for more, hence the purchase of the S8+.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Ah, i didn't realize that you are with Sprint now. Haven't used sprint in a long time. Glad that you found a phone that you love.
Yeah I'm not too sure about sprint but I'm with them for a while now unless I pay my phone off early and swap back over to cricket. So far I've not had any issues with coverage but I do think AT&T/Cricket is better. I could be totally wrong and I may be eating those words which I hope I do. My first time ever using sprint. I did it all over the phone as in store they have activation fees where over the phone they are waived. $30 bucks per line. So I instantly saved $60 from just ordering everything.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

I enjoyed the Pixel. It is, in my opinion, the best optimized Android available. Unfortunately, the lack of several features left me longing for more, hence the purchase of the S8+.
What features was it missing. Wow at the price Google is selling them I would think they would be loaded out a lot like the Nexus 6p was. In fact I always thought the Pixel to be a tweaked 6p honestly.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

What features was it missing. Wow at the price Google is selling them I would think they would be loaded out a lot like the Nexus 6p was. In fact I always thought the Pixel to be a tweaked 6p honestly.
Did not have OIS, was not water resistant, etc. I did like monthly updates though. I will miss that. Lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm not too sure about sprint but I'm with them for a while now unless I pay my phone off early and swap back over to cricket. So far I've not had any issues with coverage but I do think AT&T/Cricket is better. I could be totally wrong and I may be eating those words which I hope I do. My first time ever using sprint. I did it all over the phone as in store they have activation fees where over the phone they are waived. $30 bucks per line. So I instantly saved $60 from just ordering everything.

That's pretty good. Yeah Sprint is fine if it works were you need it. No need to pay more if that's the case.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site

I have the regular s8. Swapped from iPhone. Really like it, think s8+ would be to big for me just now. Maybe next time I'll consider it as a merge between my iPad and my phone.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

That's exactly why I chose another s8 rather than the Pixel XL which I've really wanted since launch. I don't think I could have a phone without Always On Display since I've had it on my phones for so long now and water resistance is a definite must have these days too. If I was more patient and sensible I would have waited to see what the Pixel 2 was like since it's not far away now

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Did not have OIS, was not water resistant, etc. I did like monthly updates though. I will miss that. Lol
Yeah I bet the updates were pretty awesome. Size wise what did you think. I've always thought 5 inches was the perfect one handed phone. It gives you the best of both worlds. Use of one hand and still plenty enough screen to browse the web, read articles and watch movies. What are your thoughts. How was it compared to the S8 regular? I have found this regular S8 to be great in one hand. It does seem a little narrow though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC