Just ordered the regular size S8, questions

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

Well since you said that the honor 8 is already on the large side and you wanted the honor 9 because the screen is 0.1" smaller, then just beware that the s8+ is significantly larger than the Honor 8. I would suggest that you go to the store and give it a try. I personally liked the s8+ but i like large phones. It's a hair narrower and a bit taller than the note 7, if you ever used it.
I'm going to stick with the regular S8 as I like the one handed use. I like the plus but the regular S8 meets all my needs for reading articles and web browsing. I did look at the plus just now and I decided the regular is the best fit for me. The plus was nice though. Really nice

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: My S8 just arrived!!! Who has a regular S8? Should I Exchange for the +?

Well I thought I had the restock waived but it turns out I don't and it I try do it over the phone they will waive the restock fee but I have to pay another down payment on the plus and they refund me on the regular. Way too much trouble. Plus when I went to the store the manager was a complete ***. I should have stayed with cricket instead of swapping over to sprint. They are horrible to deal with. I'll keep the regular S8 and avoid the idiots.
You still have an amazing device. Same specs and such just smaller screen size.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

You still have an amazing device. Same specs and such just smaller screen size.
Thank you. I just got to wondering if I should have gotten the plus. I had never handled the plus until today but I did handle the regular and loved it. It's probably best that I stay with the regular as it was my first choice all along. It serves my needs which are reading articles, browsing the web and watching a movie every once in a while while still giving me the one hand option. You're right it's a awesome device. Thank you for reminding me as I got caught up in a moment with the plus.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Thank you. I just got to wondering if I should have gotten the plus. I had never handled the plus until today but I did handle the regular and loved it. It's probably best that I stay with the regular as it was my first choice all along. It serves my needs which are reading articles, browsing the web and watching a movie every once in a while while still giving me the one hand option. You're right it's a awesome device. Thank you for reminding me as I got caught up in a moment with the plus.
Absolutely! The ONLY time I fall into the "bigger is better" is when the larger phone has better specs. In this case....that is null and void. :)

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

I think you should try it out and decide. I had the S8+ since April and just traded to the S8. I prefer the size of the S8 specially when using one-handed.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I returned the 8+ and got the 8 simply for one handed use. Both screens are big enough for me and I'm getting over 7 hours screen on time with the regular 8 which is more than enough for me.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I returned the 8+ and got the 8 simply for one handed use. Both screens are big enough for me and I'm getting over 7 hours screen on time with the regular 8 which is more than enough for me.
Battery life is INSANE on these S8/S8+s! I end my day with at least 50% or more battery which never happened with my Pixel or iPhone 7+.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Battery life is INSANE on these S8/S8+s! I end my day with at least 50% or more battery which never happened with my Pixel or iPhone 7+.

Its is really incredible. I didnt expect more than 6 hours but theres been a couple days I ended the day with 50% and 4 hours SOT. Im sure I could get well over that on the 8+ but I just dont need anymore for my usage.

I had odd hand cramps after holding the 8+ throughout the day. Under my thumb would be really sore and aggravated. I havent had any issues with the 8. I still have my 8+ case so Ive tried to compare holding the 2 side by side and glad I went to the smaller version.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Its is really incredible. I didnt expect more than 6 hours but theres been a couple days I ended the day with 50% and 4 hours SOT. Im sure I could get well over that on the 8+ but I just dont need anymore for my usage.

I had odd hand cramps after holding the 8+ throughout the day. Under my thumb would be really sore and aggravated. I havent had any issues with the 8. I still have my 8+ case so Ive tried to compare holding the 2 side by side and glad I went to the smaller version.
That's awesome! Glad it worked out for you!!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Absolutely! The ONLY time I fall into the "bigger is better" is when the larger phone has better specs. In this case....that is null and void. :)
So do you have the regular size S8? How do you like it so far. I just received mine yesterday. I have two cases on order and two skins as well. One from mighty skins which I've had good experiences with the other from dbrand which I'm not too sure about them. Their cuts tend to overhang where mighty skins is just right. I'll try the dbrand out first then if it's a no go I'll throw on the bright Red mighty skin. I ordered the Arctic silver S8 which now won't make a difference with a skin. I prefer not to use a case but I may because this phone was so expensive. What made you opt for the regular size S8?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to stick with the regular S8 as I like the one handed use. I like the plus but the regular S8 meets all my needs for reading articles and web browsing. I did look at the plus just now and I decided the regular is the best fit for me. The plus was nice though. Really nice

They are really the same phone with the exception of screen and battery. Both are great, just depends on what screen size you want. The s8+ also gets slightly better battery life, if that's important to you.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

They are really the same phone with the exception of screen and battery. Both are great, just depends on what screen size you want. The s8+ also gets slightly better battery life, if that's important to you.
Battery life is definitely important to me so I've not totally ruled it out. I'm about to look further into it I think. I love the size of the S8 I have now but I wouldn't mind the larger screen either. I'll loose the one hand usage which is also important to me. It's a tough call. The good thing is I do have the option as my S8 arrived yesterday. I just don't know. What would you do if I'm my situation? Keep what I've got or exchange for the larger plus model? Both have their strong points. Like for example I can easily put this S8 in my pocket and easily use it with one hand. The plus I loose both of those options. Plus I've already ordered two cases and a skin for this S8 which I can easily return. I'm very much torn. I've also got an iPad Air 2 that is coming so that will cover all my movie needs and larger screen needs. It's also cellular unlimited plan so I can take it and use it anywhere. What do you think?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

I've cooled down now so I've not totally ruled out the plus model. It's just a huge hassle to exchange them and more money out of pocket. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or keep what I have? On a side note I have a cellular iPad Air 2 on the way that will cover all of my movie needs and the need of a larger screen. Plus since it's cellular I can take it anywhere I need. That said do I really need the plus size screen? That would be the only reason I made the exchange.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Battery life is definitely important to me so I've not totally ruled it out. I'm about to look further into it I think. I love the size of the S8 I have now but I wouldn't mind the larger screen either. I'll loose the one hand usage which is also important to me. It's a tough call. The good thing is I do have the option as my S8 arrived yesterday. I just don't know. What would you do if I'm my situation? Keep what I've got or exchange for the larger plus model? Both have their strong points. Like for example I can easily put this S8 in my pocket and easily use it with one hand. The plus I loose both of those options. Plus I've already ordered two cases and a skin for this S8 which I can easily return. I'm very much torn. I've also got an iPad Air 2 that is coming so that will cover all my movie needs and larger screen needs. It's also cellular unlimited plan so I can take it and use it anywhere. What do you think?

I would suggest that you make a decision matrix of the pluses and minuses of each one. That way you can see which is best for you.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I've cooled down now so I've not totally ruled out the plus model. It's just a huge hassle to exchange them and more money out of pocket. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or keep what I have? On a side note I have a cellular iPad Air 2 on the way that will cover all of my movie needs and the need of a larger screen. Plus since it's cellular I can take it anywhere I need. That said do I really need the plus size screen? That would be the only reason I made the exchange.

If the only reason for wanting the plus is for videos etc and youve already bought an iPad for videos etc, I really so no reason to spend an extra $100 on the phone and restocking fee.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If the only reason for wanting the plus is for videos etc and youve already bought an iPad for videos etc, I really so no reason to spend an extra $100 on the phone and restocking fee.

^

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I 3rd this

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Okay I need help, S8 regular or S8 Plus?

So I just received my S8 regular and I'm having second thoughts on if I should have gotten the S8 Plus now. Can you guys give me some advice and feedback between the two devices? Which should I go with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If battery life is a concern then the S8 Plus trumps the S8 SOT by a solid 2 hours on heavy use. I had the S8 for a couple of weeks and could only manage 4-4.5 hours SOT with heavy use while my S8 Plus easily lasts 6 hours...all this on heavy use. I don't have any special battery saving features enabled, I am all day on LTE on spotty coverage, AOD always ON, checking forums and surfing the internet regularly and streaming music on LTE. I am also a heavy Whatsapp user with 5 emails with regular pulls. Coming from an Exynos S7 Edge where I easily got 5+ hours SOT, I was expecting more out of the S8 but the Plus model satisfied me. Besides, the S7 Edge and S8 Plus are similar in width but the Plus is a tad heavier. And to be honest, the S8's size really makes it easy for one handed use, especially swipe typing.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

That's a very good point. Kind of what I had in the back of my mind but needed to hear that from someone else. That is huge to hear. I like both devices and both have their strong points but yes I have my new iPad coming if it will get off of backorder. I believe if I had it now it would not even be a issue. It could be three or four days or two weeks on my iPad and I don't want to make my decision based on not having it in hand. Thank you for that.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Okay I need help, S8 regular or S8 Plus?

If battery life is a concern then the S8 Plus trumps the S8 SOT by a solid 2 hours on heavy use. I had the S8 for a couple of weeks and could only manage 4-4.5 hours SOT with heavy use while my S8 Plus easily lasts 6 hours...all this on heavy use. I don't have any special battery saving features enabled, I am all day on LTE on spotty coverage, AOD always ON, checking forums and surfing the internet regularly and streaming music on LTE. I am also a heavy Whatsapp user with 5 emails with regular pulls. Coming from an Exynos S7 Edge where I easily got 5+ hours SOT, I was expecting more out of the S8 but the Plus model satisfied me. Besides, the S7 Edge and S8 Plus are similar in width but the Plus is a tad heavier. And to be honest, the S8's size really makes it easy for one handed use, especially swipe typing.
That is a pretty big difference in battery life which is an important deal to me. I believe I'm going to stick with the regular S8 the more I think on it. I know I'd love the larger screen but I'm a huge one hand user and I also put my phone in my pocket a lot. I'm afraid that both will be difficult with the plus. Especially one handed use. I bet watching movies on it is much better. However the regular S8 still has plenty of screen real estate for being a one hander. It's really a tough choice to be honest. Plus I already have so much gear ordered for this S8 that it would be a major pain to return and start over now. Two cases and two skins. Then I installed a skinomi liquid skin screen protector on it this morning. What really got me is that I finally handled a plus in person having only handled the regular S8 in person up until today. That larger screen was nice then to hear the battery being that good still has me on the fence. Overall I'm happy with the regular size but I'm still very tempted to just go for the exchange. One guy said what I had in the back of my mind already being that I have a new 9.7 inch iPad on order so that should meet all my large screen needs plus it's cellular and on the unlimited plan so I can take it everywhere and use it. Just a really tough call either side for me now.