fingerprint scanner by camera ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You either like it or you don't. I have no issues with it, but having a case that kinda hints at where it's at helps a lot. When I didn't have a case I hit the camera lens a few times. With a case, not a problem.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem for me. I've never hit the camera. A lot of people don't like the location, but it doesn't bother me.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly you should try it for yourself and find out. We can only offer our opinions based on our personal usage as well the size of our hands and dexterity of our fingers. I was concerned myself until I tried one in the store and I was immediately sold on it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind it. Finger placement memory has set in and like he said, having a case on helps, esp o e that has a little grip to the back.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, as munnarg says, it will depend on your fingers. Take the V20, for instance. The first device I tried with a fingerprint reader on the back that everyone hailed as being nicely placed and that your fingers just 'naturally' rested there. Well, I must be unnatural because my finger never rested there unless I strained it. It ended up actually, physically hurting after a week, and it didn't last two weeks before I traded it back in for an S7 Edge.

On this one I still don't like FPS on the back (although the case helps to find it), BUT if you are used to holding your phone with your left hand, this will not be an easy task and I can almost guarantee that your finger will hurt after a while.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
As an owner of the S8, it's in a stupid spot. I get that Samsung had to hurry and put it somewhere because the on-screen FPS didn't pan out, but it was a terrible design choice. I prefer front FPS, TBH.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I typically pick up my S8+ with my left hand or pull it from my left pocket while tapping the scanner. It took only a couple of days to train my left index finger to hit the FP scanner. It's now feels quite natural.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of the S8, it's in a stupid spot. I get that Samsung had to hurry and put it somewhere because the on-screen FPS didn't pan out, but it was a terrible design choice. I prefer front FPS, TBH.

Yeah, I can't go back to front FPS now. I see older Samsung devices and cringe now. It looks so damn ugly and outdated.

Last edited:

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Or just pair it with a smart watch and turn on trusted devices so you never have to worry about unlocking it if you're wearing it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Humans adapt, but the location SUCKS BIG TIME. I would love for the geniuses at Samsung to explain why it is not in the location that LG and Pixel phones have it.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
On the S8+ I find it a little awkward, but it's not that big of a deal, really. There's other ways to unlock your phone. I find face unlock works the best. The Iris scanner is garbage.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Humans adapt, but the location SUCKS BIG TIME. I would love for the geniuses at Samsung to explain why it is not in the location that LG and Pixel phones have it.
The location absolutely sucks. I've worked around it by using the Iris scanner instead, which works way better than I thought it would. I have to turn the phone around to use the fp scanner because I can't find it without looking.

It's where it is because the scanner under the screen didn't work out and they didn't have a real backup plan. To put it in a better location on the back would have required the entire internals redesigned. So I believe they bumped the planned dual camera and put the fp scanner where the second camera module used to be. That also explains why the camera module is the same as the S7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia