Is Ok Google dead on S8 & S8+?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you trying to use it from the AOD? I don't think that works. I just tried mine. Works from anywhere except when AOD is on. Saying OK Google doesn't nothing. I honestly don't care. I hardly use the Ok Google command.

Yeah, on my S8, the "Ok Google" command barely ever worked, I just unlock the phone with the FPS, then press and hold on the home button. Works every single time just fine for Google Assistant. I love it!

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE
Yesterday, I had the phone re-flashed and OK Google has been stable for about 24 hours. I'm hesitant to say it's fixed but, we'll see how it goes. The question I'm left with is, why did it take over 2 months of bull*****t before this was mentioned by tech support? Samsung could have nipped this in the bud before they threw away a once loyal customer.

Last edited:

granblanco

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you have Bixby Voice voice wake and Okay Google Detection (which I do), sometimes you may have to toggle Bixby Voice voice wake off then Okay Google Detection off and then on to get Okay Google working again. Then you can turn Bixby Voice voice wake back on.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been told by Samsung tech support on three different occasions and once by Verizon that Ok Google will no longer be a feature on S8 &S8+ because they now "have" Bixby. Has anyone else heard that?

Google is activated by long pressing the home key. Bixby has a button. Both can be used.

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
fix for the OK Google issue on S8 & S8+ is to have the software re-flashed by Samsung or one of their retailers such as Best Buy. Other than rooting the device, there is nothing that can be done at the consumer level nor with tech support assistance that will resolve the issue.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Think I figured this rumor out. If you use Android OS you have to agree to run Google apps.

But because the Frontier S3 runs Tizen they can leave "OK Google" off the watch.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've been told by Samsung tech support on three different occasions and once by Verizon that Ok Google will no longer be a feature on S8 &S8+ because they now "have" Bixby. Has anyone else heard that?
UPDATE

fix for the OK Google issue on S8 & S8+ is to have the software re-flashed by Samsung or one of their retailers such as Best Buy. Other than rooting the device, there is nothing that can be done at the consumer level nor with tech support assistance that will resolve the issue.
I use ok Google all the time or say like when I need to send a quick text while driving. Mine works just fine. I'm sure samsung once bixby reaches full potential will block ok Google some how knowing Samsung but for now my ok Google is working as it should. What's going on with yours? Just not responding to the ok Google voice command?

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I use ok Google all the time or say like when I need to send a quick text while driving. Mine works just fine. I'm sure samsung once bixby reaches full potential will block ok Google some how knowing Samsung but for now my ok Google is working as it should. What's going on with yours? Just not responding to the ok Google voice command?

The issue here is that it isn't working when AOD is on and the device is not plugged in. Can you verify whether or not this works when you have AOD on and the phone is not plugged in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy