So I know I'm posting a thread on something that happened two updates ago, but Samsung apparently addressed the problem of being able to trick its face unlock with a photo. I've typically been using the iris scanner as my primary means of unlocking my phone, but it doesn't work so well in bright sunlight. Given the software update, I've been trying out face unlock again.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted to trick the new face unlock. Has anyone been able to fool face unlock when "faster recognition" is turned off?
    07-09-2017 01:17 PM
    Have never used it and most likely won't. I wear glasses and do not want to take them off every time I want to use my phone.
    07-09-2017 06:43 PM
    Mine got worse. Fingerprint is worse also.
    Iris never worked in the first place... Sigh!
    bhatech likes this.
    07-09-2017 06:54 PM
    Mine worked great then quit working with the first update. Works great now after the last update!
    07-09-2017 07:15 PM
    So later today after making this post, I picked up a Samsung LED View case from Best Buy (for only $6.50! after a combination of Amazon price matching and rewards points). I found that facial recognition can be quite convenient; you just open the case, and within a second the lock screen authenticates your face! Strangely though, I find that the facial recognition is rather flaky. At some times it'll work great, and at others, not so great. I'm not even sure lighting is the culprit, since I was in similar indoor lighting in all cases. I've had to revert to faster recognition in order to make this thing functional.

I really want to give facial recognition a chance, but Samsung seems to be unable to determine the right trade off between accuracy and ease of use.
    07-09-2017 08:51 PM
    For the most part mine has worked from day one which started for me on the 5th. There have been times when it just didn't and I'd then use the fingerprint sensor which works great. I like the facial unlock most of the time when it's working. I use it the most. I even use my four digit passcode when I'm lazy.
    07-09-2017 11:35 PM
    I haven't been able to get the facial recognition to work, nor can I even register my iris for using it. Used iris scan without problems on the Note 7. Also have inconsistent fingerprint recognition of the right hand index finger I prefer as it is an easy reach. Tried re-registering it but hasn't helped. Takes several dozen attempts just to register it.
    07-12-2017 10:32 AM
    I haven't been able to get the facial recognition to work, nor can I even register my iris for using it. Used iris scan without problems on the Note 7. Also have inconsistent fingerprint recognition of the right hand index finger I prefer as it is an easy reach. Tried re-registering it but hasn't helped. Takes several dozen attempts just to register it.
    As I've used facial recognition more, I'm noticing that a similarly unreliable thing happens with this mode of unlock. Sometimes when I leave faster recognition off, I'm not able to unlock my phone with it. I used to think it was just poor lighting conditions. But yesterday I tried restarting my phone and trying again from the exact same position, and it worked! So clearly some kind of weird software issue.

Maybe try resetting your phone next time this happens? Obviously it's not a viable solution, but it'll tell you if your fingerprint sensor is actually damaged or not.
    07-12-2017 06:47 PM
    After turning off facial recognition the fingerprint and iris scanning performed ok.
    07-18-2017 10:15 PM
    I returned the first s8 to take advantage of Samsung's buy one get one with trade in offer. Facial recognition doesn't work on new one either. Maybe it's just my face.
    07-20-2017 11:53 AM
    I'm using iris scanner with my glasses on and it works very well
    07-22-2017 12:39 AM
    Iris scanner works the fastest for me. I'm actually amazed how fast it works, especially in low light conditions, and in the morning when my eyes are barely opening, because I'm still half asleep.
    07-22-2017 05:47 AM