08-04-2017 11:28 PM
111 1234 ...
tools
    I too am coming from an iPhone 7 to an s8+. For me, I had to get this and Android phone because there is an app that I use that is only available on Android for now and this is a must have to increase profits for my business. Nevertheless, with the passing of each day, I'm starting to love my s8+. I discover new things about it each day that I can't do with my iPhone. Besides that, I love the design of the phone and the ability to fully customize the phone to my satisfaction. Iphone design has become plain and outdated to me. Its as if all other phones are passing iPhone designs by miles and Apple is trying to keep the same look and feel as the very first model release. My only issue with the s8+ is that I haven't figured out how to fully get Android to work with my car. Apple was plug and play. Android, I have to tinker with settings and still my Google maps does not come through my Bluetooth in my car. Anyway, give the s8 sometime and really be open to experience the phone. For me, I see more and reasons that I cannot return to iPhone until to come into the present with their designs and features.
    07-09-2017 10:53 PM
    I don't get it. IOS is more complicated. You HAVE TO use iTunes to sync and transfer files. After all these years, I still don't know how it works. With Android it's the good old drag and drop.
    With music in the cloud, music services etc, it's been years since I connected my iPhone or Android phone to a computer to sync music or transfer files. You are saying as if every iOS user has to sync with iTunes on computer to get music. They will use Apple music, Spotify, Google play music or whatever.
    bchain996 likes this.
    07-09-2017 11:06 PM
    If it makes you feel any better I have a S8+ and an iPhone 7+ and I prefer the Samsung.

Are you customizing the S8 or keeping it stock?

Try a few launchers and see what you like. I'm currently using Arrow Launcher by Microsoft. It's very good.
    I'll have to try that out. I've always used Nova launcher. Do you mind letting me know what you like about this launcher? Is it better than Nova. By the way I didn't feel like I needed Nova on the S8 so I'm using Samsung's UI. Let me know if you don't mind.
    07-09-2017 11:25 PM
    I was in the same place as you when switching from iOS to Android.

My history is that I've used iPhones since the iPhone 4 Launch up to the iPhone 6 Plus.

The Keynote and launch of the iPhone 7 prompted me to look elsewhere as it wasn't innovative in my opinion.

Bought the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge and after a month or so things just fell into place. So much so that I bought the Samsung Galaxy s8 and haven't looked back.
    07-10-2017 01:41 AM
    I would wait for the iPhone 8 to come out then sell the S8 for whatever you can get and then use those proceeds towards the new iPhone.

I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program so I'm already all set to upgrade when preorders go live.
    Fred98TJ likes this.
    07-10-2017 02:59 AM
    The iPhone 8 leaks give it similar bezels to the s8. Not sure what you're looking at.
    No, they don't in the slightest. They are clear risen bezels around the whole of the device. No curved display either, clearly we are seeing different leaks based on this, or the Apple reality distortion field is ramped up.
    07-10-2017 05:15 AM
    iPhone already lost the race to have the first bezelless phone and first to have imbedded fingerprint. Some Chinese manufacture already came out with it:

Yup. Latest rumor is iPhone won't have a finger print sensor at all now, using 3d facial for unlock. Seems mass production of these types of fps is a hard nut to crack.
    07-10-2017 05:18 AM
    I don't miss my iPhone at all am very happy with the S8
    07-10-2017 08:18 AM
    As some others are suggesting, I would definitely wait before switching back, for several reasons, 1 because a newer better iPhone is coming VERY soon, this will do 2 good things for you, it will give you access to choose a better iPhone, OR get an iPhone 7 (or 7 Plus cheaper as they flood the after market), and 2 it will give you more time with the S8, maybe you will grow to like it, and decide NOT to switch back!

OR you could be super crazy like my and have 5 phones to choose from! I current have an iPhone 7 Plus, One Plus 5, Moto Z Force, Xiaomi Mi Mix, AND Lumia 950.
    07-10-2017 08:54 AM
    OP, perhaps going about this a different way: What exactly ​do you miss about the iPhone? With a few exceptions, Android can pull off what iOS can do, it just needs to be done a different way.
    pkcable and Premium1 like this.
    07-10-2017 09:16 AM
    OP, perhaps going about this a different way: What exactly ​do you miss about the iPhone? With a few exceptions, Android can pull off what iOS can do, it just needs to be done a different way.
    Additionally just about ALL apps are available on both platforms, yes there are a few iOS only apps and a few Android only apps, but those are the exceptions. All major apps are available for both platforms. Now if you have a Windows phone or old school BlackBerry (before they went Android), its a different ball game.
    07-10-2017 10:06 AM
    Additionally just about ALL apps are available on both platforms, yes there are a few iOS only apps and a few Android only apps, but those are the exceptions. All major apps are available for both platforms. Now if you have a Windows phone or old school BlackBerry (before they went Android), its a different ball game.
    The exceptions I had in mind were iOS specific features, like iMessage/Facetime. Things that are so Apple centric, that there is no reasonable copy of.
    07-10-2017 10:15 AM
    The exceptions I had in mind were iOS specific features, like iMessage/Facetime. Things that are so Apple centric, that there is no reasonable copy of.
    True, but you can always just use the, in my opinion BETTER, cross platform communication programs such as Skype, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook Messanger, etc With Facetime/iMessage you can ONLY communicate (mostly) with other Apple users. (yea yea I know you can still SMS others) With these other programs you have a lot more flexibility, especially Skype if you are willing to pay for it. And I didn't even mention Google Hangouts, and Google Dialer, etc Of course all this stuff works equally well on iOS.
    07-10-2017 10:23 AM
    True, but you can always just use the, in my opinion BETTER, cross platform communication programs such as Skype, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook Messanger, etc With Facetime/iMessage you can ONLY communicate (mostly) with other Apple users. (yea yea I know you can still SMS others) With these other programs you have a lot more flexibility, especially Skype if you are willing to pay for it. And I didn't even mention Google Hangouts, and Google Dialer, etc Of course all this stuff works equally well on iOS.
    Yeah you can pay for pretty much anything to get better service but the thing is most don't want to pay if they can get things for free. I will admit iMessage is a killer feature that Apple put in that makes it simple, easy, and free to use for iOS users. Being able to send full videos without any extra steps besides selecting the video and hitting send is amazing. The best part is no adding people or starting chats -- just text like you normally would and it works. Apple definitely did good with that and it is one of the features I truly miss from using the iPhone.
    07-10-2017 10:27 AM
    Yeah, I honestly don't get what's so great about iMessage and FaceTime, other than that they're basically *****-proof. I have them on my iPhone, but I honestly use Duo and Facebook Messenger just as much. They don't discriminate on what platform you use. Honestly, people would be wise to use the platform agnostic programs like those, just because you don't get trapped and lulled into the same ole thing that just doesn't work with some people and phones.
    pkcable and Echoes1976 like this.
    07-10-2017 10:28 AM
    I don't get it. IOS is more complicated. You HAVE TO use iTunes to sync and transfer files. After all these years, I still don't know how it works. With Android it's the good old drag and drop.
    I never use iTunes. Ever. Everything is in the cloud. Costs me 99 cents a month to have more cloud space than I could ever use. So my stuff is always there.

The thing is, I am going through absolute hell trying to get my pictures on my S8 in order. Migrating over from the iPhone caused them to be scrambled so badly that they are 100% out of order. It's a total mess. Sorting doesn't work. It just sorts them into a different kind of out of order.

If I use Google Photo I cannot download them all at once. I have to select them one... at... a... time.

All 1900 of them. That is insane. So migration is NOT easy.

The huge issue I am having is texting. On the edges it's impossible to type right. At least so far. So I am seriously missing my iPhone.
    bhatech likes this.
    07-10-2017 11:54 AM
    I never use iTunes. Ever. Everything is in the cloud. Costs me 99 cents a month to have more cloud space than I could ever use. So my stuff is always there.

The thing is, I am going through absolute hell trying to get my pictures on my S8 in order. Migrating over from the iPhone caused them to be scrambled so badly that they are 100% out of order. It's a total mess. Sorting doesn't work. It just sorts them into a different kind of out of order.

If I use Google Photo I cannot download them all at once. I have to select them one... at... a... time.

All 1900 of them. That is insane. So migration is NOT easy.

The huge issue I am having is texting. On the edges it's impossible to type right. At least so far. So I am seriously missing my iPhone.
    To download all your Google Photo images at once, check the first image then scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen, hold Shift on your keyboard and click the last image. That will select all your images. Then click download. It will download them as a zip file. You are limited to 500 at time. Make sure you scroll with the mouse wheel and not the slider on the right of the page.

As for the typing, the edges do change the way it feels. It took me a bit to get used to it. I would try resizing the keyboard in the "language and input" settings. That helped me alot.
    PJRed2008 likes this.
    07-10-2017 12:00 PM
    No, they don't in the slightest. They are clear risen bezels around the whole of the device. No curved display either, clearly we are seeing different leaks based on this, or the Apple reality distortion field is ramped up.
    Not sure what "leaks you were looking at. I will give you the non curved display (which that is a personal thing anyway). Not seeing all those bezels you are talking about.
    Miss my iPhone-iphone-8-render-7-7s-800x525.jpg
    Miss my iPhone-idrop-news-exclusive-iphone-8-image-6.jpg
    07-10-2017 12:18 PM
    You used to have to use iTunes -- You don't anymore.
    07-10-2017 12:19 PM
    Not sure what "leaks you were looking at. I will give you the non curved display (which that is a personal thing anyway). Not seeing all those bezels you are talking about.
    Dont have a stake in this discussion at all, however, you can see the bezels very clearly in the bottom left picture. They look to be about the same size as the G6's side bezels. The top middle one has them also but they look slightly thinner.
    07-10-2017 12:22 PM
    wait for the iPhone 8 ... it's going to look like the Galaxy without a fingerprint sensor... headphone jack, and with a duel camera... so basically you got it before it came out.
    citronbull likes this.
    07-10-2017 12:38 PM
    Dont have a stake in this discussion at all, however, you can see the bezels very clearly in the bottom left picture. They look to be about the same size as the G6's side bezels. The top middle one has them also but they look slightly thinner.
    That's an edge. Not a bezel. The S8 doesn't have the edge over there so it looks differently. No curves screen means you have an edge.
    07-10-2017 12:41 PM
    That's an edge. Not a bezel. The S8 doesn't have the edge over there so it looks differently. No curves screen means you have an edge.
    Those pics look like it has both. The black border of the glass around the active portion of the screen and the frame of the actual phone holding in the glass.
    Wbutchart1 likes this.
    07-10-2017 12:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone-8-render-7-and-7s-800x525.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	263543
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iDrop-News-Exclusive-iPhone-8-Image-6.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	263544
    Yup that's the one I saw.. Round the side of the device, thick black shiney bezels. Perhaps it's a preference thing but I think it looks hideous. It was those leaks that led me to get an s8, cause to me, apple has lost its mind if it thinks that's an attractive option. I'll not even mention the cut off at the top... Jobs wouldn't have let that pass.

Maybe just a preference thing, but for me that isn't ticking the boxes of flagship.
    07-10-2017 12:57 PM
    ALL of those pics are pure speculation. Educated speculation, yes. But speculation none the less. Until it is released we don't really know jack.

If Apple did not drop the headphone jack they never would have lost me. That was a stupid move. @sshats that they are. Is setting a bad trend.
    JHStewart1023 and gregg6942 like this.
    07-10-2017 01:13 PM
111 1234 ...