How to stop popup ads on Samsung s8 edge

karl512

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
My mother-in-law just recently upgraded to a Samsung S8 Edge. She keeps getting popup ads randomly when unlocking the phone. They cover anything on the screen, even recent apps. You can also close the ad with a little x at the top right. Is there any way to get rid of these?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. There is no S8 Edge, + maybe? But, same thing. Ads like that are caused by an app or apps that were installed. You can sometimes tell by the ads which app is causing them, then remove that app. As the phone is not very old, it might be a good idea, if she hasn't used it much, to do factory reset which should remove those.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I was getting pop up ads and they were driving me crazy. I had no idea how they were happening but eventually figured out it was an app. Battery Life. I removed it and problem solved.

FEDUPWITHSAMSUNG

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
New Member but first have to say to MSP1518 why are you commenting on this Samsung S8+ thread when you are an IPhone user? Your fix is not going to be the same as an Andriod.

I am now getting these pop up ads and they are happening when my screen is locked. I hear low voices thinking I am going mad and turns out to be an ad running on my phone while it is in my pocket.

This did not start happening until the last Software update came through last week. I honestly don't think it is an app since I have not added any new apps and went in to every one on my phone and disabled all the notifications and other things. @PJRed2008 do you have any idea what else can be causing this? I am about ready to go to Verizon and return this phone since I haven't even had it for 30 days yet and it's driving me crazy. The last thing I need is one of these ads to start running in my pocket while I am sitting in a meeting with a customer.

They are more than occasional too, happens at least a dozen times a day.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
While the app is running on the screen, press the recent button. It will then show you the list of apps running. And the one in front is the current running apps. And probably the apps that showing you the ads.

virxbmc

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
While the app is running on the screen, press the recent button. It will then show you the list of apps running. And the one in front is the current running apps. And probably the apps that showing you the ads.
Might not work, since the OP said they cover everything, even recent apps.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
New Member but first have to say to MSP1518 why are you commenting on this Samsung S8+ thread when you are an IPhone user? Your fix is not going to be the same as an Andriod.

I am now getting these pop up ads and they are happening when my screen is locked. I hear low voices thinking I am going mad and turns out to be an ad running on my phone while it is in my pocket.

This did not start happening until the last Software update came through last week. I honestly don't think it is an app since I have not added any new apps and went in to every one on my phone and disabled all the notifications and other things. @PJRed2008 do you have any idea what else can be causing this? I am about ready to go to Verizon and return this phone since I haven't even had it for 30 days yet and it's driving me crazy. The last thing I need is one of these ads to start running in my pocket while I am sitting in a meeting with a customer.

They are more than occasional too, happens at least a dozen times a day.

These are not necessarily seen as the same as those notifications. I insta-one-star any crApp that spams my notifications but have yet to see pop-up ads. There is a setting in Bixby about Promotions. Have you installed any "questionable" apps? Anything that promises free wallpaper? Free youtube downloading? Anything like that? It could've been an update to one of those apps too.

Check the Bixby settings for promotions, but beyond that, try uninstalling apps.

Are we allowed to suggest programs that block certain DNS queries that would cause these popups? (Trying to be vague just in case)

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This did not start happening until the last Software update came through last week. I honestly don't think it is an app since I have not added any new apps and went in to every one on my phone and disabled all the notifications and other things.
What else could cause these ads if not one of your apps? It's certainly not normal behavior for an S8/S8+.

If you boot into Safe Mode for a while (which temporarily disables all your add-on apps), you'll see that the pop-ups stop.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Even familiar apps modify their advertising over time. Just because it's an old app doesn't guarantee against offensive ads.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I suggest installing Adguard as mentioned above. Guaranteed it will prevent any app from doing what your free app is doing.

I have not had an app do this to me in about two years now.

kimoloka

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
I haven't found any Adguard app that costs $10. Also, the app claims to only stop ads from popping up in a browser window, not push notifications from other installed apps

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't found any Adguard app that costs $10. Also, the app claims to only stop ads from popping up in a browser window, not push notifications from other installed apps

The Adguard app gives you a 7 day trial for free. After that you can pay for a lifetime license or yearly.

It blocks ads in apps through the use of a VPN. It sounds like you don't have the correct app installed.