Deleted emails come back and other odd issues (Samsung noob)

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I've been on Motorola phones for years and last week I decided to give the S8+ a try. It's a very impressive phone but I have a few issues with it that I can't solve (so far). Anyone else have these problems and solutions?

1) IMAP email keeps coming back after being deleted. If setup at POP3, deletions work fine. Active Sync also works fine. It's only IMAP that shows this problem. Never had this happen with any other Android phone. Bug in Samsungs implementation?

2) Hands-free dialing. The best part about the moto phones was the "OK Google Now" voice commands. I never had to touch the phone to call people or play music from my library. Samsungs version of this is S-Voice, which doesn't run on the S8 and Bixby doesn't work either. Any thoughts on this before I get a ticket for touching my phone while driving?

3) Is there any way to enable some clever quick gestures like the moto phones have? ie, twist the phone and the camera comes up, two quick hatchet moves and the flashlight turns on. I know, stupid little things but I got so used to them. Are there alternative ideas?

I'm really loving the huge display and the overall feel of the S8+. If I can solve these few issues, it will be even better. Thanks for the help!

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I solved #2 by enabling Google Now via the Google app on the phone. It doesn't work from the AOD screen but that's fine. I'm liking this phone. Such a huge display in a small form factor.

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Problem number one can be solved by using a different email app. I tested Outlook and Blue Mail. There was a lot I liked about Blue Mail with my standard IMAP accounts, but it didn't like my Exchange server and kept putting it to IMAP as well. Because of that, contacts and calendar didn't sync. Outlook worked fine. It's too bad the standard email app doesn't work correctly for IMAP on the S8.

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh. I've run into another problem. It seems that Outlook contacts can't be used in the People Edge. That's a major issue. I don't see where that can be sync'd. Bummer. I love the phone but the IMAP issue is huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech