moved over from iOS to Samsung s8 - how to keep my images auto-synced as in iOS sync?

A

AC Question

hi guys,

finally did the jump to Android, and I am not looking back.
there is a few things that annoy me and that I can't figure out how to fix.

In iTunes you choose what photo folder to keep synced on your iPhone or iPad, and I realised this is one of the only things that actually work quiet well in the iOS universe.

I am a photographer, and I often make new versions of images to check on my phone and update my galleries in general. Is there some software that has the same behaviour for Android? Something that will update my images as I update them on my computer?
Thanks!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Howdy. Congrats on your S8. I have a some questions. Do you use RAW image capture? What do you use to process/edit your photos? Do you use Windows or a Mac? What was your workflow when you were on iOS? How did you transfer your images from your camera to give phone (I'm presuming you shoot with a dedicated camera like a DSLR).

I apologize for all of the questions. Just trying to get a better idea of how you work so I can help you out. Or at least try too.

vsloth

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi Gernettl,

thanks for your response.
just made an account so i can get back to you.

well what i really need is just something to transfer my already retouched and edited photos and update when there is changes.

i both use windows and mac, but my computer with my portfoilio is my desktop mac.

so my workflow is simply:
edit my photos, but the finished files in my dropbox folder. tell iTunes to sync every photo within that folder, and then it made albums based on folder names on my iPhone and updated every time there was changes to folders or a new edit is been made.
Does it make sense?

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Try Google Drive. Google drive when installed to a PC can monitor a folder and sync it to your the cloud everytime it detects changes.

You can also use Google Photos on your Android. Google Photos will sync your DCIM folder automatically, you can also add other folders on your phone that had pictures and will sync them automatically too. Google Photos has a limit of 16 megapixel will convert any pictures to 16 mp of its larger, but that's for unlimited free storage.

You still have the option to upload the image untouched, larger than 16mp. But that will consume your Google Drive disk space. Which I belive is 15gb initially. But you can increase that by paying monthly fees.

Currently I'm using Google Photos because it's free and Onedrive from Microsoft for files and photos, I have 1 terabytes for Onedrive, which comes free with their subscription of office 365.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I use Dropbox. In addition, since I like having a local copy on the phone (and not just in the cloud) I use an app called Autosync - Dropbox by MetaCtrl. That app allows you to select folders in Dropbox and it creates copies of those folders and keeps them in sync on the phone. Instead of using Autosync, you could also set the folders as "Offline" in Dropbox, but the Autosync app lets up put everything on the SD card. There are also versions of Autosync for Google Drive and Onedrive.

Last edited:

rdickert

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You can also install Microsoft OneDrive - if you use a windows box, it will keep your photos synced in the cloud. As I recall, there is also a similar service from Amazon

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Gernettl,

thanks for your response.
just made an account so i can get back to you.

well what i really need is just something to transfer my already retouched and edited photos and update when there is changes.

i both use windows and mac, but my computer with my portfoilio is my desktop mac.

so my workflow is simply:
edit my photos, but the finished files in my dropbox folder. tell iTunes to sync every photo within that folder, and then it made albums based on folder names on my iPhone and updated every time there was changes to folders or a new edit is been made.
Does it make sense?

Yes that makes perfect sense. You can still use Dropbox. There is a Dropbox App for Android. You would then have to install the Dropbox app for both Windows and Mac onto your PCs (I think). I believe that would work best for you, since you are probably paying for Dropbox storage (again a presumption). You may even be able to still use iTunes to sync to Dropbox then access Dropbox from your S8 via the Dropbox app.

I'm not sure how Dropbox works, since I use OneDrive. I have 1TB of storage. I edit my photos using Lightroom and drop them into my OneDrive folder on my desktop. I can then access them on Surface Pro 3, Galaxy S8+, and my Galaxy Tab S2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge