People don't know how to update Samsung phones

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
One thing I learned owning the S8 is that people do not know how to update Samsung phones properly. They just update the Google play store apps. However you also need to update the galaxy store app under 'My Apps' as well, but 90 percent of the users (probably not you guys) do not even sign in to Galaxy App store. It's unfortunate because the updates really help the phone get rid of bugs and keeps it optimal. Samsung needs to show the public how to do this. How to update the phone dialer, messages, gallery, internet, all these pre installed apps.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People just update their Play Store apps because their Play Store apps update automatically. Most people don't even know the Galaxy app store exists, never mind know they should be going in to update it. I don't blame users at all for that... that's all on Samsung. They can update their dialer, messaging app, browsers... ALL can be done via the Play Store like all the other apps on the phone.

Why do they have an app store in the first place? What's the point, other than to confuse less nuanced mobile users? They aren't going to replace Google, that's for sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why do they have an app store in the first place? What's the point, other than to confuse less nuanced mobile users?

I'd say there are 2 main reasons: (1) To gain revenue directly from people who purchase Candy Flappy Floopy Bird Crush Saga from the Galaxy Apps Store instead of the Play Store, and (2) Samsung still seems to aspire to having its own ecosystem -- maybe they still think Tizen is the future.:confused:

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Apps settings has a push option, but it seems... quirky. I keep that app icon beside the Play store icon. I'm reminded occasionally to check for updates that way. There's usually a couple.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
The established practice for Android apps and services is to update themselves automatically, this sounds more like a fault with the Galaxy App if it cannot update itself without manual intervention.
Personally, I tend to avoid Samsung apps anyway and prefer third-party apps.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife's G6 updates some of LG's junk direct from LG... and those will prompt the user when updates are available. I think you have to opt in to auto updates as well.

Perhaps there is something in the Google Play Services agreement related to automatically updating apps outside of the Play Store and you can't do it out of the box. Dunno. All that junk should get pushed via the Play Store. Samsung and LG already have some of their proprietary apps updated there, why not do them all?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Actually, most do. I seem to remember a study from a year or two ago where they tracked usage of Samsung's redundant junk. While it was true that nearly everyone tried them once, I think that something like 97% or thereabouts abandoned them by a week or two after purchasing and rarely touched them again. But that's neither here nor there... if they are on the phone, there needs to be a good method to keep them up to date.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There are Samsung apps people use, and don't even realize they do (they just think they are part of Android), such as the camera app, diaper, etc that have updates that are needed

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I use all the stock Samsung apps. The email app is excellent, contacts too, the internet app is really smooth. I prefer these to the stock android ones, group emails etc work so much easier with Samsung apps.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Actually, most do. ....
Note that I did qualify this as 'Personally...' meaning it applies to my own preference. If I had stated something like 'Most people tend to avoid Samsung apps...' than yeah, that would be something that's very questionable. And actually most people miss out on a lot of functionality as they don't even take the time to even dig into the Settings menu of the default apps they do use.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The established practice for Android apps and services is to update themselves automatically, this sounds more like a fault with the Galaxy App if it cannot update itself without manual intervention.

I believe Galaxy Apps have auto update by default. You just need to login/setup the account.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you why I don't use the Galaxy Apps app. When I sign into it automatically starts a backup to the Samsung Cloud and the option to turn it off is greyed out and can't be changed. I don't want my data in yet another place. The only way to kill it is to remove the Samsung Account which prevents you from updating the apps. I have to figure out why the option to turn off the back up is greyed out.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe Galaxy Apps have auto update by default. You just need to login/setup the account.

I'm logged in. App updates are set to "whenever available", and not restricted to WiFi. The auto update process works sometimes, but not always. A bit twitchy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are Samsung apps people use, and don't even realize they do (they just think they are part of Android), such as the camera app, diaper, etc that have updates that are needed

Wait, Samsung has an app that will change a diaper? Wow, there really is an app for everything.:p

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
The galaxy app store updates the phone dialer and message, email, gallery, so its pretty important to create a Samsung account. I bet you though 90 percent of users don't update their phone dialer or text message app, or any of the core Samsung apps not included in the Google play store. This is unfortunate.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One odd thing about the Galaxy Apps Store is that some preinstalled Samsung apps can be updated through either the Play Store or the Galaxy Apps Store. I wonder if it makes any difference which one updates the apps?

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
more bloatware - two app stores - two this etc. I don't mind the proposition (sale) but have the professionalism to handle rejection - I don't want Bixby - I don't want your invasive apps - I enjoy your hardware - just stop it already