Does the US Unlocked Version of the Galaxy S8 Have the Option to Turn Off Shutter Sound?

A

AC Question

I have a US unlocked Galaxy S8 (not carrier unlocked). I've adjusted the permissions for things (all through settings and app permissions...not through any rooting) and have only now noticed that there is no option to turn off the shutter sound for the camera. I went to Verizon today (in the US) and their version has this option. Did I go wrong somewhere with the permissions or can anyone confirm that the US unlocked version never even had the option to turn off the sound in the first place?

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Using the unlocked Galaxy S8 from Best buy I don't see any option to remove camera shutter sound, was that ever an option on previous Galaxy Phones? I don't remember seeing this even on my S6

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Turning the shutter sound on and off is in the camera settings not the sound settings... go figure...

Camera->Settings and scroll almost all the way to the bottom. The branded and unbranded use the same camera app... Or they should.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Turning the shutter sound on and off is in the camera settings not the sound settings... go figure...

Camera->Settings and scroll almost all the way to the bottom. The branded and unbranded use the same camera app... Or they should.

I don't see anything shutter sound related when I go this in the camera settings on my US unlocked S8+. The volume key function doesn't have an option for it either.

Screenshot_20170712-122050.jpg

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't see anything shutter sound related when I go this in the camera settings on my US unlocked S8+. The volume key function doesn't have an option for it either.

View attachment 263669

That is so odd. I can understand certain things like video calling not working. The carriers want people to get their respective branded devices and therefore allow or disallow certain things. But this is weird. It's the stock camera app for Pete's sake! Why would Samsung have two versions of something that basic? It has nothing to do with network connectivity. To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "this makes about as much sense as wiping before you ****!"

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I can disable shutter sound on my T-Mobile S8+.
fee5c0b8a416d0535cc3aa14a3d0e478.jpg

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked - shutter sound can't be turned off independently of sound. Turn volume all the way down to silence it.

Carriers - may or may not have the option based on the carrier software

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Beauty of Samsung software, no control over firnware and inconsistent across million versions of the same model.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Unlocked - shutter sound can't be turned off independently of sound. Turn volume all the way down to silence it.

Carriers - may or may not have the option based on the carrier software

Well Verizon and T-Mobile branded phones have the option. Still, it's odd that the un-branded (aka unlocked) version doesn't have that option.

Makes me appreciate having a Verizon branded version. Sure it has Verizon bloatware, but I can live with it and I even use a couple of the Verizon apps. Btw, all Verizon phones are unlocked. If you want to use it on another carrier, just pop in an activated SIM and change the APN settings and your up and running.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
AT&T version has the option to disable the shutter sound as well. This has been long discussed with previous versions of Samsung phones and the different variations they have. My understanding is that it has to do with the "creepshot" issue that is more prevalent in Asian countries than it is here, with people trying to take surreptitious shots of people when out in public. Samsung and other phone manufactures have tried to make it harder, although obviously not impossible to do.

I believe that for phones sold in South Korea and Japan it is impossible to turn off the sound, even if you turn your phone volume down all the way, although I can't confirm.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Well Verizon and T-Mobile branded phones have the option. Still, it's odd that the un-branded (aka unlocked) version doesn't have that option.

Makes me appreciate having a Verizon branded version. Sure it has Verizon bloatware, but I can live with it and I even use a couple of the Verizon apps. Btw, all Verizon phones are unlocked. If you want to use it on another carrier, just pop in an activated SIM and change the APN settings and your up and running.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'd much rather have a camera shutter sound that I can easily silence than a Verizon logo on boot and some verizon apps I can't uninstall. I also think the unlocked has some features enabled on VZW that verizon had turned off in their own models.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I also think the unlocked has some features enabled on VZW that verizon had turned off in their own models.

Which features? Like I said, Verizon phones are fully unlocked and it doesn't turn off features. And by the looks of this thread, actually has features the non-branded version doesn't have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie