So I have up the S8 Plus to get the G6. I really do miss the S8 Plus and considering getting it again as a 2nd device. I would have both ......I have a few reservations though because I know AMOLED is subject to screen burn. What are the odds of it actually occurring? I am OCD so any tiny bit at all would DRIVE ME CRAZY.
    07-11-2017 10:19 PM
    This has already been discussed at length in the forum.
    JoshDunc and paridge like this.
    07-11-2017 10:42 PM
    From what I understand, your brightness has to be way up for a long period of time on a static image.

The main reason they did the stupid navigation bar color update was pixel degradation. They said the button images would fade faster than the bar itself if set to black because black doesn't use the screen.

I have never kept a phone long enough to degrade the pixels or even concern myself with that nonsense so I've reaadded the black navigation bar that Samsung tried to take from me.

If you aren't using it at max brightness and just sitting on the same image for hours on end, I wouldn't worry too much.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-11-2017 10:45 PM
    i have had my new phone for 2 weeks and use it on max brightness and i all so used Infinity Display wall paper and i have not had any screen burn in issue
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-12-2017 06:44 AM
    You might notice it if you put it on a completely white screen and hold the phone at an angle but it would take a lot for you to notice it otherwise. On my S7 Edge, I did one of those white screen tests and I did see a slight burn in line where the Facebook top bar is located. This was after about 8 months. I had to strain to see it on a completely white screen. I never noticed it during every day use. I upgrade my phone every 6 months to a year so this really doesn't concern me.

If this is really a big concern for you, then I would just pick a different phone. There are plenty to choose from.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-12-2017 07:46 AM
    You might notice it if you put it on a completely white screen and hold the phone at an angle but it would take a lot for you to notice it otherwise. On my S7 Edge, I did one of those white screen tests and I did see a slight burn in line where the Facebook top bar is located. This was after about 8 months. I had to strain to see it on a completely white screen. I never noticed it during every day use. I upgrade my phone every 6 months to a year so this really doesn't concern me.

If this is really a big concern for you, then I would just pick a different phone. There are plenty to choose from.
    Currently using the LG G6.
    07-12-2017 08:04 AM
    The bottom row of my S8 screen has a white shadow, which puzzles me because the bar is usually black so it shouldn't have left a white shadow...

It's only visible in certain wallpapers and colors but its definitely there, and it's over the 14 day return policy that bestbuy gave me (unlocked variant no carrier)

It's not bad enough for me to go out and send it to samsung to repair/switch out for another phone, but if it does get worse I might have to
    07-12-2017 12:27 PM
    Picked up the S8 Plus again at lunch. Spent $25 an HD dry screen protector and that went to crap. Lol so I have no screen protection. Anyone else going without a screen protector?
    07-12-2017 01:05 PM
    Mod Note: Okay, let's keep the thread on topic, there are already threads on burn in and screen protectors.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-12-2017 01:10 PM
    I found Android Auto to be the biggest culprit on the S7 and I expect this will be the same. Those bottom buttons on the app never move so burn in very easily.
    07-12-2017 05:49 PM
    I found Android Auto to be the biggest culprit on the S7 and I expect this will be the same. Those bottom buttons on the app never move so burn in very easily.
    With most people keeping phones for 1 year or less, I doubt it makes much difference honestly.
    07-12-2017 07:19 PM
    With most people keeping phones for 1 year or less, I doubt it makes much difference honestly.
    I kept my S6 up until last month, and would've kept it longer if the S8 wasn't so mind blowing... that phone could've lasted me at least another year
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-13-2017 08:59 AM
    odds: 100%

Every AMOLED screen suffers from 'burn in' (I don't really like this term)... this occurs because the pixels degrade (reduced brightness) overtime, and each color degrades at a different rate. Screen tech has advanced and the life cycle of the little OLEDs have increased, but they don't last forever. Any OLED screen manufacturer that claims their screens do not suffer from 'burn' are lying through their teeth. They just don't degrade as quickly as they once did.
    natehoy likes this.
    07-13-2017 01:04 PM
    I've had my S8+ since launch and haven't experienced screen burn. For burn to occur, you'd have to have a static image displayed for several hours at a time for you to notice.
    07-13-2017 01:27 PM
    Pretty damn close to 0% odds.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-13-2017 01:54 PM