Is a screen protector really necessary on the S8/S8+?

SolShadow

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I have purchased quite a few screen protectors and none of them are good for this device. I just ordered the whitestone protector, but I really dislike how you can clearly tell there is a screen protector on this phone. The only reason I am buying one is because people keep talking about how easily this phone scratches. Does it actually scratch easily and would you say the screen protector is a necessity?

jon4400

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just use mine with a case that has raised bumps in case of a fall. Due to the curved screen, it's really hard to find a screen protector that applies perfectly.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have one on my S8 Plus when i had it. It drove me absolutely crazy how obvious it was. Currently using a G6 and the glass screen protector disappears. Its nice. Howver, i am considering picking up a S8 Plus again as an extra phone because i miss it. Lol

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Im using a spigen tough armor case and thats it.

I fully expected my phone to be scratched beyond belief by now and I'm dumbfounded how resilient it is. I looked today in sunlight and I have absolutely zero scratches, not even a micro scratch. I've dropped a few things on the screen, including a metal vapor and there is nothing. When I dropped the vapor, I sloooooowly raised the phone to my eyes dreading what I was sure to find. I spent 15 minutes trying to find a scratch that had to be there and it just wasn't.

Last year I scratched my s7 edge in 2 days. I'm very very impressed with the resilience of the S8 screen. At some point it will scratch and that's why I have insurance.

SolShadow

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Im using a spigen tough armor case and thats it.

I fully expected my phone to be scratched beyond belief by now and I'm dumbfounded how resilient it is. I looked today in sunlight and I have absolutely zero scratches, not even a micro scratch. I've dropped a few things on the screen, including a metal vapor and there is nothing. When I dropped the vapor, I sloooooowly raised the phone to my eyes dreading what I was sure to find. I spent 15 minutes trying to find a scratch that had to be there and it just wasn't.

Last year I scratched my s7 edge in 2 days. I'm very very impressed with the resilience of the S8 screen. At some point it will scratch and that's why I have insurance.

It kind of confuses me because I see some people saying it scratches easily, some people saying it doesn't. Then some youtubers do scratch tests that prove it doesn't scratch, and some do tests that prove it does. I honestly have no clue what to believe.

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
No screen protector on mine since launch, and it's flawless. I've dropped it about 4 times also.. So far so good, looks brand new still!!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have purchased quite a few screen protectors and none of them are good for this device. I just ordered the whitestone protector, but I really dislike how you can clearly tell there is a screen protector on this phone. The only reason I am buying one is because people keep talking about how easily this phone scratches. Does it actually scratch easily and would you say the screen protector is a necessity?
Order the liquid skin by skinomi. It's the best one and I actually have been using it for all of my different phones. I don't think you'll find any tempered glass that will work good with the S8. The Skinomi gives full protection and at this price I'm not scratching the screen. I've got a skin on the back of my S8 too as I don't use a case all the time. I would however definitely put something on your screen. The Skinomi you can get from Amazon for around 7.99. Mine came in a two pack. They are thick and you need to wet install it. Once in place just smooth out the bubbles and it works great. I've not read anything good about any tempered glass for the S8 but I definitely would put something on it.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one but do notice a few micro scratches only noticeable in the right (or wrong lol!) light. I thought it'd bother me more, but someone's analogy here about a phone being a tool really put it in perspective for me

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't use screen protectors. I've got a Defender case that provides excellent protection and a couple other slimmer style that provide good protection as well. The screen looks much better imo without the protector.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ive been using the full screen Ghost Armor for almost 2 weeks. Wraps down the edges nicely and you have to look closely around the speaker/sensor/camera cutouts to notice it's there.

Glad I have it. I've been unusually clumsy, and had 2 face-own drops. Just scuffs on the protector, and these are smoothing out. (GA is self healing.)

yoyoche

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the Whitestone Dome glass with the Spigen Neo hybrid and it is a FANTASTIC combo
This is what I'm going too. Plus I bought insurance through Upsie. Phone is to expensive to replace. I will admit that I can afford to do this since I bought it for $300 through samsung when they offered a rebate on my s7 edge tradein.

thoughtjunky

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I've been using an Otterbox Commuter case with my S8+ since launch. The screen is incredibly scratch resistant so no screen protector needed. I work in a manufacturing environment where I tend to get metal dust on my fingers and I haven't seen any micro scratches yet.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I went folio and so far my naked screen seems well protected.

That's actually a decent idea. Your phone would be protected against particulates in your pocket and such. I'm a bit too paranoid to do this, but good to know it's worked out for someone so far.

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Otter box defender plus cheapie curved tempered glass is working great for me.. the inner plastic frame of the Otter box holds the screen protector down nicely, and good touch responsiveness is maintained.