The S8 is the smoothest Android interface I've ever used. Thoughts?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. The reason to have an unlocked version is to streamline things and make it easier without all the carrier junk.

1 month the unlocked versions got an update 2 weeks earlier, the next month their 2 weeks behind.
So that makes sense then while I received it when I was locked to sprint but now that I'm no longer carrier branded I didn't get that update this time. Unbelievable. So in part it was carrier pushed early for the US models but if bought direct from Samsung carrier free the update hasn't hit yet. That is not good. Well at least I'm free of any trace of sprint which I could not be happier. Next month I go back to cricket.

gknicks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Love my S8 plus. It's very smooth and I'm using no screen protector, I think it's a nice tough screen. Hope I don't regret not having a protector. I work for a cell phone company and usually don't recommend a screen protector for it, just a defender Case. I'm using cm launcher as of today and it's smooth also

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Love my S8 plus. It's very smooth and I'm using no screen protector, I think it's a nice tough screen. Hope I don't regret not having a protector. I work for a cell phone company and usually don't recommend a screen protector for it, just a defender Case. I'm using cm launcher as of today and it's smooth also
I decided to go naked as of about 30 minutes ago. I have a HD Dry screen protector but no case. I guess if scratches bother me enough I'll do an insurance claim. At the same time, I am considering switching from VZW to AT&T. So I could end up with a brand new one anyways. Lol

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Will the liquid skin protect the screen from shattering on a drop like a tempered glass would in theory do? I assume that it would give impact protection. Currently I'm not using a case for my S8 when I'm around my house. I just enjoy less bulk. My back skin gives me grip plus back protection. Just curious if a liquid skin would protect from a shattered screen from a drop. I've read where none of the tempered glass adhere well enough to the entire screen to give shatter protection. Anyone know?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Nah.. Not a fan of the S8.. Figured as I typed this the S9 would be released.. Doh.. Time to do the upgrade again.. Ha
Samsung does release them quick lol. Sadly you're right. The S8 will be dated very shortly or not long from now lol. It kind of will once the Note 8 is released and that's just in a couple months so especially the S8 plus will take a hit in value.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That update is for the unlocked international variant, the US unlocked variant has not got any recent updates and it's on June security patch which it received long time back.

Oh wow really? I thought the unlocked version got the July one :eek:.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow really? I thought the unlocked version got the July one :eek:.
Haha no, I don't think anyone should expect regular software updates on the US unlocked version of a Samsung or LG phone. They both suck and their software department is run by some kids I think

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Haha no, I don't think anyone should expect regular software updates on the US unlocked version of a Samsung or LG phone. They both suck and their software department is run by some kids I think

Yeah -- That is one thing I never expect with these type of phones. If I do get one I am more shocked then anything :p.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, we have to stop saying carrier pushed here. The unlocked versions get updates straight through Samsung. The only carrier pushes are carrier branded firmware. You are now on unlocked firmware so you shouldnt be getting carrier updates anymore.

Can anyone with an unlocked model verify that they got the latest AQF7 update? As far as Ive seen, Verizon is the only version that hasnt received it. Its possible it hasnt released yet which would make me wonder if Samsung is going back to their old ways.

If someone else has the AQF7 update on an unlocked phone, then you need to talk to your buddy and have him figure out why you arent getting updates.

US unlocked S8 on straight talk... Still have AQE3

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Would it be a worthwhile upgrade from a note 4 or wasting money.

Went from the Note 4 to the S8 and couldn't be happier. Like throttle-johnny, I think it depends how important the S pen is to you. I will say, though, the S8 felt like a toy in my hand for awhile after being used to the size of the Note 4.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
My Note 5 is smoother overall than my S8+, both running Nougat. I don't know why this is but I think Samsung still has room for improvement with the S8 through future software updates. There shouldn't be any lag with a SoC as powerful as the 835.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My Note 5 is smoother overall than my S8+, both running Nougat. I don't know why this is but I think Samsung still has room for improvement with the S8 through future software updates. There shouldn't be any lag with a SoC as powerful as the 835.
Every Samsung version has improved in software, S8+ is way better with minor stutters once in a while. If your Note 5 is smoother than S8 then there is something seriously wrong with your S8. Note 5 doesn't even come close when comparing smoothness with current flagships.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Smoother? How could that be? It is running touch wiz. No way it's smoother than the S8 in regard to touch wiz interface. It maybe smooth but it's not the powerhouse that the S8 is in any way.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Smoother? How could that be? It is running touch wiz. No way it's smoother than the S8 in regard to touch wiz interface. It maybe smooth but it's not the powerhouse that the S8 is in any way.
There's quite a noticeable lag in the stock Samsung S8 series launcher when compared to S7 series on Nougat (I have both). I just wished Samsung to tweak the performance to remove that lag and give an option for vertical app list... only reason I still use Nova on both my S7E and S8+.