07-20-2017 01:01 PM
30 12
tools
    Google photos backs up screenshots in the camera folder and and they get backed up with all my other photos. Is there any way to change this? I don't want random screenshots clogging up my photo gallery.
    07-14-2017 10:23 AM
    Google photos backs up screenshots in the camera folder and and they get backed up with all my other photos. Is there any way to change this? I don't want random screenshots clogging up my photo gallery.
    Open Google photos, go to settings>backup and sync>backup device folders. Uncheck screenshots.
    07-14-2017 10:29 AM
    I have same problem. Google photos are designed to backup DCIM folder. Sadly that's where the screenshot folder is, and also other image folders like Facebook.
    https://support.google.com/photos/fo...VdZuCCI/?hl=en

I have no choice but to regularly do cleanups. Search "screenshot" on Google photos and then delete them 1 by 1.
    07-14-2017 12:07 PM
    Am I the only one who can't stand Google Photos? Way too invasive and meddling imo. I deleted it and stick with the stock app.
    07-14-2017 12:18 PM
    Am I the only one who can't stand Google Photos? Way too invasive and meddling imo. I deleted it and stick with the stock app.
    I use Google photos because of its unlimited backup space. As long as you upload 16mp or less. Can't really complain for free stuff.
    smvim and bhatech like this.
    07-14-2017 12:28 PM
    I use it only as a quick way to share a picture.

There's alot I don't like about Google photos. The most annoying issue is the lack of a true album feature. I like to keep my photos organized by category so I can quickly find them. The Google album only tags the photos as an album so if I want to download my archive to my pc it puts everything in date folders and completely ignores the album structure. Same if you keep a copy on Google drive.

If they would add actual album support, it would be much better.

For now I'm using Mega to keep my stuff organized and Google just for quick access from my pc.
    07-14-2017 12:47 PM
    Open Google photos, go to settings>backup and sync>backup device folders. Uncheck screenshots.
    That works on other phones -- on Samsung phones it puts screenshots in with the camera roll. That is the issue.
    07-14-2017 12:51 PM
    That works on other phones -- on Samsung phones it puts screenshots in with the camera roll. That is the issue.
    Ahh, you are correct. I guess I was thinking if my other phones.
    07-14-2017 12:56 PM
    Duly noted, being invasive is how Google monetizes a lot of its services, but I think the Backup & Sync function in Google Photos is one of the more useful, and free, photo library archive solutions available.
    bhatech likes this.
    07-14-2017 03:06 PM
    How is it more invasive then anything else on cell phones? Just curious.
    bhatech likes this.
    07-14-2017 03:40 PM
    How is it more invasive then anything else on cell phones? Just curious.
    It holds on to stuff I don't want or need, sometimes multiple times (Photos, screenshots), and is a battery drainer.
    07-14-2017 05:32 PM
    It holds on to stuff I don't want or need, sometimes multiple times (Photos, screenshots), and is a battery drainer.
    The multiples can be removed by using a function. Battery drainer? You can set it to never upload except for on WiFi / when charging (that is what I do). It does absolutely nothing until I plug the phone in at home (when on WiFi).
    bhatech likes this.
    07-14-2017 05:35 PM
    Hit the menu, choose device folders and hit the upper right on each folder to toggle backing up those individual folders or not. And on Pixels there is no size limit for backing up of photos or video.
    07-14-2017 05:35 PM
    Hit the menu, choose device folders and hit the upper right on each folder to toggle backing up those individual folders or not. And on Pixels there is no size limit for backing up of photos or video.
    Kind of -- The Pixels just allow full resolution backup without eating up storage.
    07-14-2017 05:50 PM
    The multiples can be removed by using a function. Battery drainer? You can set it to never upload except for on WiFi / when charging (that is what I do). It does absolutely nothing until I plug the phone in at home (when on WiFi).
    Okay...i never played with the settings.
    07-14-2017 06:36 PM
    Thanks for the input guys..just wondering if it was possible but seems like it's not. Is it possible to move screenshots via an automation app?
    07-15-2017 01:51 PM
    Google photos honestly is one of the best Google services along with maps, gmail and search. Once I started to use Google photos never looked back, just works, cross platform, unlimited storage, great features like auto awesome, sharing, automatic albums, movies etc. Sure yeah they get all your data, if that's the concern yeah Google is not for you or probably any other company now a days since they are all needing data for all the AI stuff.
    DMP89145 and BratPAQ like this.
    07-15-2017 02:11 PM
    Upload only while charging was removed a few weeks ago. I liked that feature alot so of course they quietly removed it in an update.
    07-15-2017 04:28 PM
    Upload only while charging was removed a few weeks ago. I liked that feature alot so of course they quietly removed it in an update.
    It hasn't been removed. Sounds like yours is bugged.
    07-15-2017 04:33 PM
    It hasn't been removed. Sounds like yours is bugged. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...610f6d74c4.jpg
    There were articles all over the web about it. Have you updated yours?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.andro...ng-782204/amp/
    07-15-2017 04:34 PM
    There were articles all over the web about it. Have you updated yours?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.andro...ng-782204/amp/
    Mine updated a week or so ago. No updates as of now so... Yep. Still see it :P.
    07-15-2017 04:35 PM
    Mine updated a week or so ago. No updates as of now so... Yep. Still see it :P.
    You would be one of the few people in the world to have the feature. There's a massive Reddit thread about it dating back to June 23rd. A few pixel and Nexus people maintained the setting, everyone else lost it. Don't update when you get an update alert or be prepared to say bye lol.
    07-15-2017 04:39 PM
    You would be one of the few people in the world to have the feature. There's a massive Reddit thread about it dating back to June 23rd. A few pixel and Nexus people maintained the setting, everyone else lost it. Don't update when you get an update alert or be prepared to say bye lol.
    Even if it went away it still wouldn't be a huge deal. I could just keep it set to upload on wifi only and be good. I only get on wifi at home and I have amazing internet so even if it's tons of videos it doesn't take long to upload so battery drain is pointless for me :P.
    07-15-2017 04:40 PM
    Even if it went away it still wouldn't be a huge deal. I could just keep it set to upload on wifi only and be good. I only get on wifi at home and I have amazing internet so even if it's tons of videos it doesn't take long to upload so battery drain is pointless for me :P.
    It's not terrible but the "only while charging" made so much sense. There was no reason to remove it imo.
    07-15-2017 04:42 PM
    It's not terrible but the "only while charging" made so much sense. There was no reason to remove it imo.
    That I do agree but just saying if they did.. still not a big deal for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    07-15-2017 04:43 PM
30 12