DVD rips?

Mipz

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm about to buy a S8+ with an 256gb sd card and now I'm wondering how to put good qaulity dvd rips on my device?

Rip software and settings for s8+?

Good app for playback?

Thanks

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Android will play many different formats. AVI, MP4, MKV, etc.. I always go for MP4 though because I like to stream to my smart TV. In order to stream via smart TV or Chromecast, it needs to be an MP4 with x264 encoding in my experience. With a DVD or Blu-ray, obviously you'll need to get the computer involved. It's kind of a pain but you can find programs that will convert Blu-ray to MP4 by googling. I DVDFab and it works well but it is an expensive piece of software. I'm sure someone can offer a cheaper method or you can do some googling.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Currently I'm using Handbrake on my computers to rip DVDs, it's free and has a good, extensive feature set. Primarily use h.264 (video) and mp3 (audio) as most devices support those two codecs on a hardware level for playback (hardware support being less battery-draining than hardware/software support). AAC (audio) is fine too though.
Using h.265 typically gives you just as good/often better quality than h.264 while also resulting in significantly smaller file sizes but note that you might want to experiment with resolution levels as higher res, h.265 video will really tap your phone's resources. An example being a h.265 video ripped at 720 will play fine on my old S3 but the same video at 1280 will be sporadic, jerky, and video/audio out of sync. Your S8 has much more horsepower so you'll be able to get by with much higher resolutions but do some tests anyway.
Regarding media players on your S8 I'll recommend either MX Player (go for the pay-for version, the free version is pretty ad-heavy) or VLC (free and no ads). Both can handle a very, wide range of file types and codecs. I give a slight edge to MX Player as its Settings menus have a lot more options so if you like to tweak things relative to hardware and software support, there's a lot there. And as far as their user interfaces, both have some really nice features. I have both on my phone and it's hard to say that one is that much better than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome