Like most people, I access Gmail on multiple devices. Typically, I will check my Gmail on my laptop, Galaxy S8 (T-Mobile) and wifi enabled Galaxy Tab S2.

With previous phones, if I would read or delete an email on my laptop, I would instantly see that change reflected in the Gmail app on my phone. Conversely, if I would read or delete and email on my phone, I would instantly see the change reflected in Gmail on my computer.

Since I've had the S8, I could delete a handful of emails from the Gmail app on my phone and 10 minutes later, I'd look at Gmail on my PC those emails were still there, unread.

The problem is that the S8 automatically optimized the Gmail app to "sleep," so it only syncs when manually refreshed.

The solution was to:

1: Go into settings, search for "apps" and click into it.

2: Once inside "apps," hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into "special access."

3: Once inside special access, go to "optimize battery usage."

4: From here, tap on the dropdown menu that says "apps not optimized" and switch to "all apps."

5: Once all your phone's apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications from as they come through (Gmail), and tap on the switch to turn it off.

You have to turn off the switch to ensure the phone doesn't automatically kill your app, so you can get notifications on time.

I guess there's a trade-off of battery life in doing this, but now - if I delete an email on my PC, the app instantly reflects the change, and vice versa.

Hope this helps someone.
    PJRed2008, jacker and EngineerGuy like this.
    07-16-2017 08:00 AM
    Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to research and post back your solution.
    07-16-2017 08:14 AM
    Good luck with that. Somebody already gave these instructions weeks ago. I did it then, but I'm still having intermittent problems
    07-16-2017 10:31 AM
    Good luck with that. Somebody already gave these instructions weeks ago. I did it then, but I'm still having intermittent problems
    Like the subject line says, "Solved." Since I applied this changed, all three of my devices are instantaneously sync'd with regard to Gmail.
    07-16-2017 10:48 AM