Anyone coming from the Pixel?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone here got an S8 or S8+ coming from the Pixel or Pixel XL? Are you happy with your choice? If so, what made you switch (except the screen size which seems to be the only better aspect for the S8 and S8+ when you watch comparisons)?

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I bouhgt my Pixel XL on October 4, 2016 at the time I still have my former Galaxy S6. Then came out the S8+ so I got it and my Pixel XL at it's box is waiting the 8.0 Platform Upgrade. Don't think I will buy another Pixel, the two or the three. I really enjoy the Galaxy phones so when the S9+ cames next year there's will be a big smile in my old face.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you don't change phones often and plan to keep the phone for long, then my advice is wait for Note 8 which will be an improved iteration of S8 with dual cameras(Aug release) or Pixel 2 XL (probably October so lot of wait).

If you switch often then buy S8+ which is a great phone on it's own and you can always change in the fall.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't want to change phones as I just got my Pixel. I had been using an S7 until then which I loved but got the Pixel because I wanted stock Android and direct updates. The Pixel is a boring phone on the outside but the software was what drew me to it. I was always frustrated by OEM's lack of updates (before my S7, my last phone was a Moto X Play which isn't even on Nougat yet). So I'd rather a boring phone on the outside than getting frustrated every time Google adds something cool to Android.

But I was asking because everytime I see a Pixel VS S8 video, the only things they have to talk about is how great the screen and exterior are. Don't get me wrong, that's absolutely true and the new Samsung Experience is great. But the S8 must have something more to it than just a good looking exterior (especially for the $200 price difference).

Just chatting for chatting's sake :)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I didn't have the pixel but I did have the Google Nexus 6P. Was a nice phone.
I agree! From what I've researched and seen, the Pixel is nothing more than a tweaked version of the Nexus 6p which in fact is my device measuring tool I use against all Android devices. I rank the S8 to be right in line with the Nexus 6p thus making the Pixel XL the same type operating interface you get on both devices. The S8 certainly hangs with the Nexus 6p in terms of how fluid it is. A lot has to do with the SD 835 in the S8 being that it's this smooth. It's a powerhouse of a device. If I were to get rid of my S8 now it would be for a Huawei Mate 9. EMUI is definitely not Android to me. It could easily be branded as its own operating system and a third option in mobile software instead of only being just two. Android and IOS. EMUI is definitely strong enough to hold it's own against both software interface. Anyways the Nexus 6p is a great device to measure any current Android interface up against even today. The S8 is right up there with the Nexus 6p.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I also had the 6P and passed on the Pixel. Great phone, but after over a year of stuffing a phone that size in my pocket and often having to remove it when sitting down, I wanted something more compact.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I also had the 6P and passed on the Pixel. Great phone, but after over a year of stuffing a phone that size in my pocket and often having to remove it when sitting down, I wanted something more compact.
What do you have? The regular S8 like I do? I almost got the plus but in the end it would have been just too large. The regular S8 is perfect. Great for one handed use.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yup, the regular S8. Agree, perfect size.
I wondered if you had the regular size. It appears that we are the minority here as most have the plus size. What made you go for the regular size over the plus? I was tempted to get the plus but I feared it would be too large long term as a daily phone.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My comparisons coming from The Pixel XL as my daily driver to the S8+:

Positives for the Pixel over the S8+
Better low light camera
Smoother
Faster and better placed FPS
Flat Screen

Positives for the S8+(unlocked)
Screen is amazing and Bright
lots of useful features
I prefer built-in email/cal app for exchange for my work
AOD(even though I only use it as a night stand clock)
Theming engine
battery life is amazing 6 hr SoT for my use vs 4.5 at best for the Pixel XL with same usage.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

What do you have? The regular S8 like I do? I almost got the plus but in the end it would have been just too large. The regular S8 is perfect. Great for one handed use.

See I came to the S7 and Pixel coming from the Moto X Play and Z Play. So to me, the Pixel is a great size. I checked out the S8 and S8+ in stores and I would definitely prefer the S8+ as far as screen size is concerned. The S8 seems so small (although I feel my new Pixel is small as well so maybe just a question of habit).

My comparisons coming from The Pixel XL as my daily driver to the S8+:

Positives for the Pixel over the S8+
Better low light camera
Smoother
Faster and better placed FPS
Flat Screen

Positives for the S8+(unlocked)
Screen is amazing and Bright
lots of useful features
I prefer built-in email/cal app for exchange for my work
AOD(even though I only use it as a night stand clock)
Theming engine
battery life is amazing 6 hr SoT for my use vs 4.5 at best for the Pixel XL with same usage.

Besides the email app which was never useful to me (I don't have Exchange) I definitely agree with those points which I had on my S7. For the battery life though I haven't seen a difference yet but given my only day to day comparison is the S7, maybe it's better on the S8.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL. Really nice, fast, lag free phone. I went to this S8 because I was just tired of the size of the Pixel. Each phone has their strong and weak points but I have to say that I am considering leaving Samsung. My reasons are not because of the phone but because of Samsung's absolutely horrendous customer service.

I also have the Gear S3 which required service. It was like a scene from a horror movie trying to deal with Samsung. I don't want to go through that again or waste that much time.having to deal with them ever again.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL. Really nice, fast, lag free phone. I went to this S8 because I was just tired of the size of the Pixel. Each phone has their strong and weak points but I have to say that I am considering leaving Samsung. My reasons are not because of the phone but because of Samsung's absolutely horrendous customer service.

I also have the Gear S3 which required service. It was like a scene from a horror movie trying to deal with Samsung. I don't want to go through that again or waste that much time.having to deal with them ever again.

I never had to deal with them but one of my friends has and he still tells me how much he hates Samsung because of it. For me though it's the lack of support of the last device they put out after a new one comes out that annoyed me the most. They're still selling the S7 but are barely updating the apps and still haven't upgraded the Samsung Experience. They're putting all their efforts in the S8. That's always the case with Samsung (and most OEMs mind you). Also, getting Nougat at the end of March 2017 was a bit of a blow for me (and all current Samsung phones are at 7.0 whereas my Pixel is 7.1.2). But at least they're getting better security patch releases though.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wondered if you had the regular size. It appears that we are the minority here as most have the plus size. What made you go for the regular size over the plus? I was tempted to get the plus but I feared it would be too large long term as a daily phone.
Checked out both in store and prefer the S8. No regrets.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I had Pixel XL. Now have been using S8 Plus for over 2 months.

The smothest Samsung phone ever. While it is not Pixel smooth, it is very darn close.

S8 Plus is my preference device because:

* Expandable storage. Have high quality 128 gb that stores all my music, books, pictures, and videos
* Wireless charging. Yes, use it all the time
* Water resistant. Yep, used it twice already with amazing videos with my kid running and playing around under sprinklers
* Camera, yes, I like Samsung camera much better. Just my preference
* Infinity display. Simply awesome
* Physical look and feel. No comparison what so ever. Pixel is simply put, ugly looking
* And finally, Samsung Pay. Holly Cats I love that thing.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I never had to deal with them but one of my friends has and he still tells me how much he hates Samsung because of it. For me though it's the lack of support of the last device they put out after a new one comes out that annoyed me the most. They're still selling the S7 but are barely updating the apps and still haven't upgraded the Samsung Experience. They're putting all their efforts in the S8. That's always the case with Samsung (and most OEMs mind you). Also, getting Nougat at the end of March 2017 was a bit of a blow for me (and all current Samsung phones are at 7.0 whereas my Pixel is 7.1.2). But at least they're getting better security patch releases though.
I had the latest security patch but lost it when I flashed my phone to carrier branding free firmware. So in fact I made a step forward but took a step backwards when I flashed my phone. My S8 is now just like I bought it direct from Samsung unlocked.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
As I noted elsewhere the knowledgeable Verizon rep who sold me my S8+ showed me the Pixel that he used as his daily driver. He was enthusiastic about the speed and smoothness.

But one could tell by his demeanor and attitude that he lusted after the S8 which he kept in his spare pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton