Switched From Iphone to S8 Plus

mstrlucky74

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
So made the switch and so far things seem positive although it's only been day.
A few thins I can't figure out. Hopefully someone can help.

When my screen is locked and I get notification they are not showing up on the lock
screen even though I have it enabled in the lock screen and security setting.

Maybe I'm not clear on what the lock screen is.

Theres the screen that says use fingerprint or swipe to unlock and that does show the notifications but then what is the screen prior to that's all black with the time and widgets on it.

That's the screen my phone is on most of the time so I would expect to see notifications, texts etc. show on that screen, for instance if it's sitting on the table I would like to see a text come through or some other notification. I only hear the notification come through and have to double tap the home button to see the notifications.

Also when I click on the notification from the lock screen it brings me to the app notification screen unlike when you swipe down and see the notification and click on it from there it prints you to the actual notification info.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've never seen any notification on my always on display. From what I've learned so far that you have to get past the always on display to see your notifications. Hope this helps. I don't think the always on display allows you to see notifications nor will they just appear. You have to go past the always on to see your new notications. On a side note, how do you like your S8 so far compared to your iPhone? I used to exclusively use apple until about a year ago and swapped over to android. The S8 is a powerhouse of a device and packed with features. Just curious of your thoughts between the two devices so far?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I've learned so far that you have to get past the always on display to see your notifications. Hope this helps. I don't think the always on display allows you to see notifications nor will they just appear.

Yes they do. I see all my notifications on AOD.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen any notification on my always on display. From what I've learned so far that you have to get past the always on display to see your notifications. Hope this helps. I don't think the always on display allows you to see notifications nor will they just appear. You have to go past the always on to see your new notications.
You'll only see the app icons for any notifications on the AOD screen. To read what the notifications are, tap the home button twice and that takes you to the lock screen to read the notifications.

mstrlucky74

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. So if I'm within my phone in an app, surfing the web etc etc i only hear sounds for my notifications. I have to swipe down from top of screen to see notifications. Can't I at least have text messages pop up on screen as they come through like my iPhone did?

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. So if I'm within my phone in an app, surfing the web etc etc i only hear sounds for my notifications. I have to swipe down from top of screen to see notifications. Can't I at least have text messages pop up on screen as they come through like my iPhone did?

Messages -> Settings (3 dots in the corner) -> Tap on Notifications
There will be more settings within that menu
Turn ON popup display and preview message

mstrlucky74

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I've never seen any notification on my always on display. From what I've learned so far that you have to get past the always on display to see your notifications. Hope this helps. I don't think the always on display allows you to see notifications nor will they just appear. You have to go past the always on to see your new notications. On a side note, how do you like your S8 so far compared to your iPhone? I used to exclusively use apple until about a year ago and swapped over to android. The S8 is a powerhouse of a device and packed with features. Just curious of your thoughts between the two devices so far?

Thanks. I like it a lot so far

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

If you do what "justafew" suggested, you can also reply to text message right from the pop up.

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If you want to see your notifications on the lock screen just press the power button on the side when the phone is on the AOD. then you will see them and can read what they are. the AOD will just show the app icon for notifications you have received

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes