What changes would you like to see on a future update of the Galaxy S8

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is so busy working to get Bixby ready, I think they have nothing else on priority at this point irrespective of what we like them to fix

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK, we're talking hardware updates now... that wouldn't be an 'updated S8', that would be the S9 :p
You're right I suck.. this is about software updates :p. Doh!

Hmmm.. software wise what would I want. Personally I wish all phones had a bandwidth monitor so I didn't have to use a 3rd party app. Odd request but something I would personally like :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this in another thread... Samsung should have screenshots go to their own folder. That way I don't have to go delete a bunch of screenshots from my backup since they go into the camera roll.

Man that would be the best..

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
They should put the 16mp wonderful camera from the S6 back, better yet, 2 off them, one wide angle also a quad dac and decent speakers on the front. None of this will happen of course as they think people will buy their phones no matter what they do. Maybe one day they will be surprised.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
They should put the 16mp wonderful camera from the S6 back, better yet, 2 off them, one wide angle also a quad dac and decent speakers on the front. None of this will happen of course as they think people will buy their phones no matter what they do. Maybe one day they will be surprised.

Software updates...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this in another thread... Samsung should have screenshots go to their own folder. That way I don't have to go delete a bunch of screenshots from my backup since they go into the camera roll.

Man that would be the best..

Ummm... they DO go to their own folder (Screenshots). Are you sure you're not backing that up to Photos or whatever you use for picture backup?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ummm... they DO go to their own folder (Screenshots). Are you sure you're not backing that up to Photos or whatever you use for picture backup?

I thought the same but it appears screenshots is part of your camera folder so Google Photos backs them up automatically with no way to turn it off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same but it appears screenshots is part of your camera folder so Google Photos backs them up automatically with no way to turn it off.

Mmm...weird, doesn't happen in mine. I only back up the Camera folder, and my screenshots stay in the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Go to settings > backup > device folders and let me know what you see (in the Google Photos backup).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's my problem. It puts the screenshots in there so it backs them up as well :p. On other Android phones you can select the screenshots folder to not be uploaded.

Well, it saves it into the DCIM folder, but NOT to the Camera one, it saves them on a sub-folder called Screenshots. No idea why Photos doesn't see it in the 'Device Folders' section, though, but I just tried it and no matter what I do, with only Camera backup selected and no device folders selected, my Screenshots never upload to Photos, they stay in the device... Oo

Woot??!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, it saves it into the DCIM folder, but NOT to the Camera one, it saves them on a sub-folder called Screenshots. No idea why Photos doesn't see it in the 'Device Folders' section, though, but I just tried it and no matter what I do, with only Camera backup selected and no device folders selected, my Screenshots never upload to Photos, they stay in the device... Oo

Woot??!!!
Lucky you :p. Never been that way with any Samsung I've owned. Always have to go clear out screenshots.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Lucky you :p. Never been that way with any Samsung I've owned. Always have to go clear out screenshots.

Aaaand I pushed my luck. I got one to back up. So yeah, it takes the whole DCIM folder... damn you, Photos!

No idea why it took a bunch of attempts and changing my sync settings like 5 times to get it to 'work', but yeah, I see it now. I guess I've always deleted my screenshots before they were backing up.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Even though it was software updates we were talking about here. I had to address this comment.
I will say this again, as a long time experienced photographer.
Basing the quality of a camera on Megapixels alone is not something one should do. Have you done any research?
The camera on the S7 and S8 is far superior to the S6.

Just to break it down simply

The S6 has is a 16mp SINGLE sensor, with the lens being f/1.9, 28mm
The S8 has is a 12mp DUAL Sensor, with the lens being f/1.7, 26mm

The Dual Sensor and the f1.7 at 26mm is what you should be concentrating on.

The only benefit you would have to having 16mp over 12mp is you may be able to blow the photo up to a slightly larger size when printing without pixelation.

To your eye, and everyone else on the planet. Your photos will look no different between 12 and 16mp. In fact I believe the human eye can't even process anything over 7mp. Or maybe lower, I can recall at the moment.

Also the front camera on the S8 is far superior to the S6, not just MP,
The S8 has a 8 MP, f/1.7, WITH Auto focus. The S6 has a crappy 5 MP f/1.9.

The only thing that I would change with the S8 Camera is to add a second lens, so that you could get OPTICAL zoom, as digital zoom just sucks in general.

BUT lets get back on track here with Software improvements!

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
S pen capability, better software for S pen and, of course, replaceable battery. Why should I continue to pay the inflated price of the Note?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
S pen capability, better software for S pen and, of course, replaceable battery. Why should I continue to pay the inflated price of the Note?

OK, but adding the S-Pen and underlying hardware for it kinda costs more. And that would just make it a Note... Now, add GOOD active BT stylus support, and THEN it's a different beast. No new hardware needed (other than the extra BT pen).

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
OK, but adding the S-Pen and underlying hardware for it kinda costs more. And that would just make it a Note... Now, add GOOD active BT stylus support, and THEN it's a different beast. No new hardware needed (other than the extra BT pen).

You might well be right. But I'm skeptical that the S pen is the main reason for the price differential between the S8+ and Note 8. But I honestly don't knowm

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I would like to hear what changes people would like to see in a future update on the Galaxy S8.
This would be something an update could correct, change, make better, etc...

For me it would be

1. Notification LED is far to dim. There needs to either be a setting to increase and decrease brightness. OR they simply need to put it back up the brightness or previous Galaxy Models.

2. The lock screen clock ( Not the Always On Display Clock )
We need the ability to change that awful lock screen clock to something else.

There are my changes. What are yours, and your thoughts on mine?

I would like:

-bigger battery.

-more colors at launch.

-brighter notification led

-more clock styles for AOD. Also more info on AOD.

that's really it I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie