Bixby voice finally here!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If you don't like Bixby don't use it. Don't knock it just because you don't like it or don't find it useful. Use or don't use whatever you want. The fact that Samsung put the button on the S8/S8Plus and didn't have the software ready is really no big deal. It's ready now and I like it. Samsung didn't design the phone especially for you so if you buy one expect software or hardware included that you may not like or intend to use. Samsung wants it's own ecosystem and there's nothing wrong with that. You know what you're getting before you buy it. Reading some post it appears that some people got mad because you couldn't remap the button after finding out Bixby software wasn't completely ready. That's just childish.
I'm sorry, I was under the impression we were on a forum where people were allowed to discuss things pertaining to devices.

I think I've been very clear that I'm glad it works for some but for me it's useless. Ive given reasons explaining why I feel the way I do and the only useful response Ive been given about what makes Bixby a useful tool over any other AI is "it can search for my pictures and email them".

Getting upset that I don't like something and have voiced my opinion is no better than me voicing my opinion in the first place.

It's getting knocked because it should have been thought out and executed a long time ago. I would love to just "not use it" but unfortunately Samsung stuck a button on the side of the phone that loves to be activated with ease. Yes I have disabled it but had they actually thought things through, I wouldn't be disabling anything.

You like it, great. Many people don't. They would have known that had they done their research.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I definitely disagree that sharing an opinion about the product is childish. Talking and discussing what we like and don't like is part of the forum experience. We don't want only positive posts and ignore criticism. As long as it's all done respectfully there isn't an issue.
I didn't say that sharing an opinion about a product was childish. I said getting mad that the button couldn't be re-mapped and the Bixby software wasn't completely ready was childish. That was my opinion.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I didn't say that sharing an opinion about a product was childish. I said getting mad that the button couldn't be re-mapped and the Bixby software wasn't completely ready was childish. That was my opinion.
Who's mad the button can't be remapped? Of course people should be mad that they released the button before finishing the software. You don't release a car before putting in the engine do you?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's fine to have an opinion but calling someone childish is more of an insult then anything. Nothing pleasent is meant from it.

Just because people may want to remap something and you don't doesn't make it childish. Just like I don't care for root and some are die hard must root people. They aren't childish because we don't agree.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Who's mad the button can't be remapped? Of course people should be mad that they released the button before finishing the software. You don't release a car before putting in the engine do you?

Mad? Not really. Frustrated? Somewhat. It was still a great phone without the Bixby finished software, and now parts of my phone feel brand new again.

Plus, finished software wasn't going to stop some people from hating Bixby regardless.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I was under the impression we were on a forum where people were allowed to discuss things pertaining to devices.

I think I've been very clear that I'm glad it works for some but for me it's useless. Ive given reasons explaining why I feel the way I do and the only useful response Ive been given about what makes Bixby a useful tool over any other AI is "it can search for my pictures and email them".

Getting upset that I don't like something and have voiced my opinion is no better than me voicing my opinion in the first place.

It's getting knocked because it should have been thought out and executed a long time ago. I would love to just "not use it" but unfortunately Samsung stuck a button on the side of the phone that loves to be activated with ease. Yes I have disabled it but had they actually thought things through, I wouldn't be disabling anything.

You like it, great. Many people don't. They would have known that had they done their research.
That was my opinion......why do you think Samsung didn't think this thru? It's obvious they did. They placed every other button where THEY wanted to. Its up to us the buyers to get use to its placement.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That was my opinion......why do you think Samsung didn't think this thru? It's obvious they did. They placed every other button where THEY wanted to. Its up to us the buyers to get use to its placement.
The software came out 3 months after the phone. Pretty simple. It's still in beta, isn't in the UK, doesn't work with 3rd party messages, doesn't work with their own music app. I mean the list goes on and on.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The software came out 3 months after the phone. Pretty simple. It's still in beta, isn't in the UK, doesn't work with 3rd party messages, doesn't work with their own music app. I mean the list goes on and on.
Yea it took awhile for them to get the voice feature going but they got it, things happen. I'm in the US. It's not in beta here. Voice has been updated supposedly on every carrier. Of course It's designed to work with Samsung apps but there are several 3rd party apps that it works with. They are found in Bixby Labs in the app settings. It does work with its own music app which is Google Play Music (search and you'll find an article informing us that Samsung started using GPM as their main music app on their phones now). The list goes as far as anyone wants to take it lol.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Yea it took awhile for them to get the voice feature going but they got it, things happen. I'm in the US. It's not in beta here. Voice has been updated supposedly on every carrier. Of coure It's designed to work with Samsung apps but there are several 3rd party apps that it works with. They are found in Bixby Labs in the app settings. It does work with its own music app which is Google Play Music (search and you'll find an article informing us that Samsung started using GPM as their main music app on their phones now). The list goes as far as anyone wants to take it lol.
So when do you think it will come to Android Auto or work with smart home devices besides Smartthings hubs? Before you look it up, the answer is never. It will never get integration into Android Auto, you know the thing almost every car manufacturer is putting in their cars.

As for messaging apps, it works for theirs and that's it. The most widely used messaging app doesn't have support yet Google assistant supports it.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
So when do you think it will come to Android Auto or work with smart home devices besides Smartthings hubs? Before you look it up, the answer is never. It will never get integration into Android Auto, you know the thing almost every car manufacturer is putting in their cars.

As for messaging apps, it works for theirs and that's it. The most widely used messaging app doesn't have support yet Google assistant supports it.

Google Assistant only worked with the Pixel when it debuted.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Difference being the phone still worked, a car won't run without an engine 😂

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
How's it redundant?
Google assistant does almost everything Bixby does and better. It has all the tools to be a complete SO. It has a much wider audience to build data, something Samsung is already struggling with. It has software engineers who know how to develop. It has the one and only car integration for Android. One of the 2 smart home speaker systems that works with all devices. It has access to system commands the same as Bixby.

The only thing it can't do is compound tasks but it will shortly. That's Bixby's only selling point and with Google behind Google Assistant, do you think Bixby will ever be able to catch up or even compete? They have no market besides Samsung devices. They painted themselves into a corner with Bixby by making it exclusive.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Difference being the phone still worked, a car won't run without an engine
Did it though? Do you consider it working when you're trying to do something and a button gets pushed with the inside of your finger completely taking you out of what you were doing? Does not having the ability Samsung said it would have deem it working? How's that Bixby vision coming? Seems to me they promoted it as a fully functioning feature that has had zero mention of being updated to that yet.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Google assistant does almost everything Bixby does and better. It has all the tools to be a complete SO. It has a much wider audience to build data, something Samsung is already struggling with. It has software engineers who know how to develop. It has the one and only car integration for Android. One of the 2 smart home speaker systems that works with all devices. It has access to system commands the same as Bixby.

The only thing it can't do is compound tasks but it will shortly. That's Bixby's only selling point and with Google behind Google Assistant, do you think Bixby will ever be able to catch up or even compete? They have no market besides Samsung devices. They painted themselves into a corner with Bixby by making it exclusive.

That's where you lose me. My use for Bixby is completely different than Google Assistant. Both can work to the users advantage if you know how to do it. That's not redundant, that's more choices, more options.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That's where you lose me. My use for Bixby is completely different than Google Assistant. Both can work to the users advantage if you know how to do it. That's not redundant, that's more choices, more options.
Ok then please tell me what Bixby does that Google Assistant doesn't do. I've asked this question dozens of times and so far all anyone has said was it will send photos in an email.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Did it though? Do you consider it working when you're trying to do something and a button gets pushed with the inside of your finger completely taking you out of what you were doing? Does not having the ability Samsung said it would have deem it working? How's that Bixby vision coming? Seems to me they promoted it as a fully functioning feature that has had zero mention of being updated to that yet.
Yes the phone still worked. Man you are super negative, I don't even own the phone but geeze we get it, no matter what Samsung does it isn't good enough for you. In that case why did you buy a Samsung device knowing this from the start?