Bixby voice finally here!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Aren't those on the smart things platform? If so, Alexa and Home should be also.
They are and they do.

I think this is what's being missed here. You have an AI that is tied to one brand of devices vs 2 AI's with massive amounts of users scattered through multiple devices. This is where Samsung goofed. They limited themselves and their data collection to one user base. It's hard to expand when you do that and it's part of why S-Voice and Milk Music failed so bad.

Sure it's a way to entice more people to buy their products but if that's what you're banking on then stop letting Google have the same access to those products.

You've got to give people a reason to switch and as seen in this thread, there is no reason.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Also, Samsung didn't build Bixby. Samsung bought Bixby and tooled some of it's phone firmware around what it comes with out of the box and then added some bits here and there.
Wait, so are the original developers working on it still or has Samsung bought someone else's software and trying to maintain and develop it themselves?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They are and they do.

I think this is what's being missed here. You have an AI that is tied to one brand of devices vs 2 AI's with massive amounts of users scattered through multiple devices. This is where Samsung goofed. They limited themselves and their data collection to one user base. It's hard to expand when you do that and it's part of why S-Voice and Milk Music failed so bad.

Sure it's a way to entice more people to buy their products but if that's what you're banking on Then stop letting Google have the same access to those products.
It's the same problem that Samsung pay had, gear VR, the first watches, etc. Anything that only works on one fork of the world's largest os is not acceptable. It is obviously easier to limit the devices it will work on because then there's less that can go wrong. Less thinking, less testing and less support on the back end.

But it is also lazy and sorta worthless, because in every case there already was or soon were added competitive products that were more ubiquitous and were better products. That's why the standard is to support a standard and set minimum requirements... But since Samsung sucks at software, they know they'd be in way over their heads.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
K for the last time you want to discuss.. discuss. If you don't like the conversation go to another thread but telling people what to post about and what not to post about isn't cool. Opinions are fine as long as everyone is being respectful.. but people aren't going to say what is or isn't allowed to be discussed via different opinions. Everyone can share.

That said any more questions send me a PM. Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait, so are the original developers working on it still or has Samsung bought someone else's software and trying to maintain and develop it themselves?
They purchased it and now they develop and maintain themselves, but that purchase was like a year ago. Samsung hasn't even had enough time to understand what they have, let alone transform it. Bixby on the S8 is almost exactly what was described last year.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
They purchased it and now they develop and maintain themselves, but that purchase was like a year ago. Samsung hasn't even had enough time to understand what they have, let alone transform it. Bixby on the S8 is almost exactly what was described last year.
This is why I wish they would have added the software and not the button. They could have developed the software while gathering data and it wouldn't have been as intrusive as a button that many people are asking "why is this here". Then when you get the software developed you add an ease of access button. That people will say "That's awesome, now I don't have to search for the app". Kinda what Google is doing if they add a button.

They way they did it was putting the cart before the horse.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also important to remember that most users don't update anywhere near as often as our "normal". For many, they're going to be on that Samsung for a year or two and so something not working on an HTC doesn't matter much.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Also important to remember that most users don't update anywhere near as often as our "normal". For many, they're going to be on that Samsung for a year or two and so something not working on an HTC doesn't matter much.
That's a possibility. I guess if you bank on the average user sticking with the brand they know then there's a possibility the software will eventually be used and adapted as part of their daily usage. That's alot to bank on though given what they've put into Bixby.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Bixby home has access to gmail now? Since when?

And if it does "more than Google" then could use please explain something useful that it does? I'm literally begging someone to give me a reason to re-enable this thing but nobody is saying a word.

Give me something that it will do that's so great and I'll apologize for disliking it. Why should I run 2 assistants on one device? One of which is limited to my phone only.

Edit: I've re-enabled Home and I don't see how to access Gmail. Can you tell me where you found it?
Open Bixby home, choose settings. Scroll down to Bixby Labs, turn it on. Scroll down to GMail. I thought you read all of that like I said earlier that you have to do. But check it out.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Open Bixby home, choose settings. Scroll down to Bixby Labs, turn it on. Scroll down too GMail. I thought you read all of that likeI said earlier that you have to do. But check it out.
That doesn't add a gmail card which is what I asked. I know you can open Gmail, as you can with assistant, but home doesn't support gmail. If it did that would be something useful as it would keep all my email in one place.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't add a gmail card which is what I asked. I know you can open Gmail, as you can with assistant, but home doesn't support gmail. If it did that would be something useful as it would keep all my email in one place.
Nah you didn't ask for a Gmail card. When you read all of the Bixby info it'll tell you the commands you can use with each app plus you can create your own commands. After Bixby learns how you use the phone it will begin presenting actions to you. You must use the app daily to learn how to use it. You can tell Bixby to show you your Gmail and it will. Bixby talks, see, remind and recommends. Read, learn and use it for a week them come back to me. You should also be able to continue using you ok google if you like. Mine still work but I have no need for it. Bixby had taken over lol.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Nah you didn't ask for a Gmail card. When you read all of the Bixby info it'll tell you the commands you can use with each app plus you can create your own commands. After Bixby learns how you use the phone it will begin presenting actions to you. You must use the app daily to learn how to use it. You can tell Bixby to show you your Gmail and it will. Bixby talks, see, remind and recommends. Read, learn and use it for a week them come back to me. You should also be able to continue using you ok google if you like. Mine still work but I have no need for it. Bixby had taken over lol.

Bixby home has access to gmail now? Since when?

Edit: I've re-enabled Home and I don't see how to access Gmail. Can you tell me where you found it?

That's exactly what I said. I specifically asked if gmail was accessible in Bixby home. That would be a useful feature.

I've tried Bixby since the beta and have yet to find it useful.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Detroit. $150 for distracted driving even it's it's being used for navigation. Daughter's boyfriend got the joy of that one a few months ago. His license got suspended until August because he's only 17. They are trying to raise it to $500 right now. They don't want the phone mounted in your line of sight. They are also trying to block actual GPS units.

Here's the state's that made windshield mounts illegal

Alabama Arkansas Connecticut Delaware Georgia Idaho Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Mississippi Montana Nebraska New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington Washington DC West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming
I live in Louisiana and Mississippi part time plus work in Arkansas... There is no enforcement of that law, I wasn't even aware of it... They only might pull you over if you are driving with the phone in your hand and that's a very small might

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I live in Louisiana and Mississippi part time plus work in Arkansas... There is no enforcement of that law, I wasn't even aware of it... They only might pull you over if you are driving with the phone in your hand and that's a very small might
They are way stricter here.

They set up a trap where they put cops in plain clothes and plain cars. They drove up and down one of our busy roads looking for people to ticket. Nobody knew they were cops so they didn't hide their phones. The plain clothed cops then called ahead and told the cops in marked cars which people to pull over. That happened about a month ago and the city made a killing. Their nuts about phones in my area.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a possibility. I guess if you bank on the average user sticking with the brand they know then there's a possibility the software will eventually be used and adapted as part of their daily usage. That's alot to bank on though given what they've put into Bixby.

Well.. that's why Samsung put that silly button there. Samsung knows very well that the overwhelming majority of their user base usually abandon Samsung's stuff after using it a few times. Sure, people use their browser and text messaging app, but all those extra bits they add in... people see them, then it becomes 'out of sight/out of mind' never to be launched again.

So maybe putting in a button that people will keep hitting by accident, without allowing them to change what launches, is a way to sort of vaccinate them to using Bixby. If they accidently launch it all the time, maybe they'll start using it.

We're a bit sheltered here... most of us here are enthusiasts... while maybe not all are knee deep in the technicals of Android, most everyone here knows a hell of a lot more about Android than the general public. Even basic things... like Google Assistant... COMPLETELY unknown to a huge chunk of the public. Never launched it, never used it, probably wouldn't know what it was if you showed them. So if you are going to try to get them to use something, you better show them that the something gives them some utility, something useful to more than a few Android nerds.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well.. that's why Samsung put that silly button there. Samsung knows very well that the overwhelming majority of their user base usually abandon Samsung's stuff after using it a few times. Sure, people use their browser and text messaging app, but all those extra bits they add in... people see them, then it becomes 'out of sight/out of mind' never to be launched again.

So maybe putting in a button that people will keep hitting by accident, without allowing them to change what launches, is a way to sort of vaccinate them to using Bixby. If they accidently launch it all the time, maybe they'll start using it.

We're a bit sheltered here... most of us here are enthusiasts... while maybe not all are knee deep in the technicals of Android, most everyone here knows a hell of a lot more about Android than the general public. Even basic things... like Google Assistant... COMPLETELY unknown to a huge chunk of the public. Never launched it, never used it, probably wouldn't know what it was if you showed them. So if you are going to try to get them to use something, you better show them that the something gives them some utility, something useful to more than a few Android nerds.

From my experience that button has backfired. I only know a few people who got the S8 series (most everyone I know are Apple people) and I have heard the term "F this damn button, I dont care about Bixby" more times than I can count. One of my coworkers got the S8 and begged me to disable the button. I screwed with him for about a week and said no while showing him mine did nothing. Finally I showed him package disabler before he threw the phone. Now he's re-enabling it to get the Samsung pay points then disabling it again. In fact we are both in our offices repeating the same phrase over and over again to level up for the rewards lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995