Bixby voice finally here!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Bixby Voice is now available on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ in the US after a few month delay and short testing period through an early access program. That means you now have the full Bixby experience that was first revealed during the S8’s unveiling. We took it for a good spin a few weeks back – feel free to give that video a look.

To get Bixby on your Galaxy S8 or S8+, you’ll only need to hit the Bixby button on your phone to open Bixby. Once you have done that, the update process should initiate pretty quickly to bring in the new Voice capabilities. You may have to login to your Samsung account, agree to some terms, and potentially even some new permissions. Of course, that seems necessary since Bixby Voice interacts with every aspect of your phone.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that news will make a lot of folks happy, but DoubtingPJRed that I am, I think I'll leave it tucked in BK Disabler until the real beta test is over :)

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing also... I'm happy nuff to poke around in the device the old fashioned way. Way too many permissions needed by these assistants for my liking

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Indeed. I go through new devices and throttle most permissions and block things I don't use with firewall. If I want to do something, I give permission until task is done, then remove it again.
I can see the usefulness of a mature assistant, and it's amusing to just talk to the phone and get stuff done...

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Were you folk in on the beta?
No it would allow me to sign up for it.
I must tried clearing a the Bixby Apps data files and restarting and still no dice.
I guess it's coming to Canada later.
Since we are sooooo different than the U.S., Samsung will take anotherb2 months to program the "Eh?" And "Sorry" commands.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing also... I'm happy nuff to poke around in the device the old fashioned way. Way too many permissions needed by these assistants for my liking
Lol I was waiting for the ppl that was gonna mention permissions...

It has to be permission heavy tho to access your entire phone

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site

If you want Bixby to assist you, then it needs full access to your phone.

Hi Bixby, call John Doe - "Sorry, can't do! I'm not allowed to access your phone app."
Hi Bixby, open gallery and make an album of photos taken at Las Vegas - "Sorry, no can't do. No permission."

DLIVINGS

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
If you want Bixby to assist you, then it needs full access to your phone.

Hi Bixby, call John Doe - "Sorry, can't do! I'm not allowed to access your phone app."
Hi Bixby, open gallery and make an album of photos taken at Las Vegas - "Sorry, no can't do. No permission."

+1 well said

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Well at least they have it moving forward now and given it some hope. I love my Google cards so it's going to take a lot to replace the articles I get from those Google cards. Is there a way one can go in and pre program it to locate cards that one would actually have interest in like one being mobile tech or NASA related articles? I don't even recall ever going in to google and letting it know that I enjoy most all mobile tech articles or that I like NASA related stories which of course isn't all of my Google cards but they are on there though. I just tried to use bixby to get a value on my unlocked S8 and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm just not interested in opening it up every day and asking for specific articles rather I'd want them waiting on me like Google does.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't played with it much, but my first impressions are it's painfully slow carrying out requested actions. I'm sure over time it will improve though.

One step closer to Skynet.....

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Well at least they have it moving forward now and given it some hope. I love my Google cards so it's going to take a lot to replace the articles I get from those Google cards. Is there a way one can go in and pre program it to locate cards that one would actually have interest in like one being mobile tech or NASA related articles? I don't even recall ever going in to google and letting it know that I enjoy most all mobile tech articles or that I like NASA related stories which of course isn't all of my Google cards but they are on there though. I just tried to use bixby to get a value on my unlocked S8 and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm just not interested in opening it up every day and asking for specific articles rather I'd want them waiting on me like Google does.

You can still use Google to look at your cards like normal. Bixby is for phone functions where Google is more for internet and information functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith